Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
David's surgery (Read 7028 times)
Miche
New Poster

Hudson, USA, usa, 517, 82, MA, Massachusetts
David's surgery
Nov 7th, 2003 at 1:48pm

Hi all, this is incredibly new to me. I took my 6 year old son, David, to Children's Hospital last Thursday 10/30/03, as his PCP (and I) thought it prudent to figure out what was causing his "events" that he was having (PCP was thinking some type of migraine) - one 6 months ago, and one about one month ago. This last one left him paralyzed on his left side for about 20 minutes, and after a trip to the Metrowest ER we were told that we needed to make sure he was eating enough (blood sugar was 84, still in normal range).

Told the doctor at Children's what happened, and after a quick neuro exam, he asked if I was prepared to stay for 2-3 days for more testing. As I was closing on my new house in Shrewsbury that day, David stayed with my boyfriend at the hospital to get him admitted while I ran home, signed papers on the new house, packed suitcases and came back. By the time I got back, they had been able to do the MRI, read the results, and I was told there was a diagnosis. Ugh. The "D" word is never good.

So we went into a little room, that quickly began spinning as soon as I heard "rare brain disease...blah blah blah...moyamoya...here are some pictures...little blood flow...need an angiogram...meeting with Dr. Scott..."  Needless to say, I was stunned. Figured I'd go in there, find out about David's new "migraine affliction," get some medication, and bring him back to school so that I could do the closing on our new house. Stopped in my tracks.

He's now had the angiogram on Monday 11/3, we met with Dr. Scott in between surgeries on Tuesday 11/4 and he's scheduled to go in for the full-day (both sides) surgery on 11/18.

I've heard that we should plan on spending 4-5 days after surgery in the hospital...any ideas on what might make fun things for a little boy to do with all that time in the hospital?  Not sure how he'll feel afterwards - will he have headaches that make it hard to read? Has anyone put together any "books" in kid-speak to tell them about what's going on - and how the doctor is going to fix it?  I try to be honest, without being explicit (for obvious reasons) but I just wondered what might have already been created. He understands a lot for 6 years old, and I want him to feel that I'm being as open and honest as possible.

He's the sweetest little boy (really, not because I'm biased!)  so if you could all keep him in your prayers, that would be wonderful.  And let me know what you've found helpful to cope with this crazy disease.

Thanks so much - Michelle

IP Logged

Tommyb
New Poster

i am Timothys father.
 He is the one with MoyaMoya

Galena, USA, usa, 342, 118, IL, Illinois
Re: David's surgery
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 4:11pm

Hello Miche!!!!!  I know the anxiety you are feeling, trust me.  Timothy will have surgery the 21st of November.  i will be thinking of you and wishing the best for David!!!

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 9:46pm

Michelle, The waiting is the worst.We had to wait 3 months for Kathleen's surgery.She had 5 strokes durring this time. Please know you are very lucky to have this surgery so quickly.Kathleen was five at the time of her surgeries.She is now six and has had no new strokes.She too went to Childrens Hospital and had Dr. Scott.He is amazing.Our saviors were  the videos that we brought for her to watch.and the books we read.She also loved looking at the huge fish tank in the lobby and eating popcycles.Children's Hospital was great they made feel very comfortable and we had much faith in the Dr.'s and nurses they were the best. Please know that your family will be in our prayers and if you have any more questions to ask feel free.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2003 at 10:44am

Good luck with David's surgery I know some people have headaches afterwards but not everyone I'm  pretty sure most people don't. My daughter didn't after she had surgery in Feb. & March of this year. You'll be surprised at how well the kids bounce back you never know in a few days that they have had surgery. That is if they're going in with no previous strokes or damage.  We will be praying for your family especially David, again good luck!  Cheesy Smiley ;Grin

IP Logged

kalise
New Poster

my son lives with moyamoya.

westernaustralia, Australia, australia, 21, 203, WA, Western_Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2003 at 9:24pm

David and your family will be in my prayers next week, as he prepares for his surgery.  My son wa 18months old when he had his first bout of surgery(in Western Australia) and as far as i could tell, he wasn't in too much pain, although he was having morphine for the first 36 hours after surgery.  I found that when he looked around alot the day after, his head would feel a little funny(maybe due to the swelling). Maybe if david has a walkman, then music may be the way to amuse him.  I hope that all goes well, i know only too well, how you're feeling right now. my thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let us know how he goes.

IP Logged

Miche
New Poster

Hudson, USA, usa, 517, 82, MA, Massachusetts
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 9:29am

Thank you all for your kind words of hope and encouragement. I have to say, this web site forum has helped me more than you all could know. I have much more of an understanding now of what to expect, and so much faith in Dr. Scott and his team. Thank you all...I'll log on next week and let you know how it went! Michelle (& David too!!!)  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Rena
Senior Poster

Hi, My son Tyler was diagnosed
with MM in 2003

, Colorado, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 9:49am

Michelle,
I love your idea of a book. I am in college and had to write a children's book. I am now planning on trying to write one on MM, with my son Tyler. He is 12 and had the surgery in June. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes. I will make sure I find the best way to make it available. Thanks for waking up my brain and giving me a way to help alot of people.
Rena

I've learned to never underestimate the impossible. -Blake Sheldon-&&There are no failures, just options tried. -Thomas Edison-&&
http://www.facebook.com/wldrtst?v=wall&story_fbid= oneofakindco  
IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 3:07pm

Michelle - Good luck to you and David with David's surgery.  I've just returned from my visit with Dr. Scott and I think he is so wonderful and caring.  I was very impressed with the staff at Children's.  I wish you both nothing but the best!

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge