Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about tests!?! (Read 8249 times)
joni_h
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Spokane, USA, usa, 90, 43, WA, Washington
Questions about tests!?!
Jun 2nd, 2004 at 12:41pm

Ok my mom got paperwork from the neurologist in Seattle today that explained a little on what they're going to do at her appt on the 23rd.  They're going to do a transcranial doppler study, a CO2 challenge reactivity test and an auto regulation test is all they told her.  I get what the TCD is but are the other two the SPECT scan with the Diamox?!  I just want to know what we're in for.  I know I've read that the Diamox makes some people ill afterwords and I just want to be able to prepare my mom if it's a possibility.  Nothing was said in her paperwork about an angio.....should I push for an angio?!   Smiley

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Re: Questions about tests!?!
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 12:47pm

I would push for the angio I'm not really sure how they could not do an angio before a surgery.
                                Nancy

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 2:02pm

Joni,

To answer your question, NO, the CO2 challenge reactivity test and auto regulation test are not the same as a SPECT.  I don't know much about either of the tests, but I did some looking around and here's what I came up with:

CO2 challenge reactivity test - measures the response in the cerebral circulation supplied by the middle cerebral arteries.  I'm no expert, but it sounds like it's in the same "family" of tests as a SPECT.  Basically, it shows the blood's ability to carry oxygen to the brain as a numerical value, whereas with the SPECT, oxygen content to the brain is measured visually, with color pictures (see my Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register).  Here's a link that explains the CO2 test better:  http://depts.washington.edu/uwtcdlab/co2.html

Auto regulation test - information on this one was a little harder to find, but it sounds like it's a test that measures the brain's ability to regulate the cerebral blood flow and cerebral blood pressure done in conjunction with the trans cranial doppler (TCD).  This statement would make me question whether it would be of much use in diagnosing Moyamoya "Although information is available about autoregulation in severely head injured patients, there is little or no information about autoregulation in patients with minor or moderate head injury."  Here is a link from the UW site about it:  http://www.c3.hu/~mavideg/jns/2-1-p1.html

Both of these tests may provide some good information but it seems like they would both be covered better by the SPECT.

As for the cerebral angiogram, it is THE diagnostic test for diagnosing Moyamoya.  It's the only way to actually see the "Moyamoya vessels" in the brain.  If it were my mother, I would absolutely, positively make sure they did an angiogram!  Just my Smiley

Remember, take this info for what it's worth.  I have no medical training.... just experience going through it as a patient myself.   Wink

-DJ
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2004 at 2:37pm by DJ »  

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

joni_h
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Spokane, USA, usa, 90, 43, WA, Washington
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 1:14am

DJ thank you so much for all of the information.  I looked online today for information on the tests myself and it looked like it wasn't the same as the SPECT (since I had read the info on yours) but since I'm new to all of this I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  Do you think it's possible to get an angio done if I push for it?!  I've been trying to keep in contact with the "patient advocate" from the UofW (Harborview) but she doesn't seem too pleased with all of my questions.  That doesn't matter to me though...it's my mom and I will do whatever it takes to make sure she's taken care of.  I guess I just would like to know in your opinion if the angio is something I should push for now....BEFORE her appt.  If I push the issue do you think we'll be able to get the angio done at her appt on the 23rd?!  Thanks again for all of your help DJ!!  I really appreciate it!!

Joni

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 3:14am

Yes Joni, I would absolutely push for the angiogram as it is the most important test!  Personally, I would even trade the CO2 AND the auto regulation tests for the angiogram... and sooner rather than later!  Especially if you're sending her films to Stanford.  They'll need an angiogram to see exactly what's going on.

Sorry the "patient advocate" doesn't like all of your questions, but that's what she's there for!  Your mother's health is more important than the "patient advocate" being pissed off about having to do her job.

If we're talking about Moyamoya disease here... I would say the cerebral angiogram needs to be your #1 priority at this point!  They can do the CO2 and auto regulation tests after the angiogram if they think they are that important.

Again, just my  Smiley

-DJ

P.S.  Nancy N., does the "firmness" of this message sound familiar?

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 6:45am

ABSOLUTELY  Deej!  That is the test to get for sure and Dr. Steinberg is going to want to see for sure.
                          Nancy

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 2:28pm

Joni,

Wanted to check and see how everything was going with your mom.  She had an appointment last week, right?  How did it go?  Are you getting any more cooperation from your patient advocate?

Interested to hear how it's going....

-DJ
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2004 at 2:29pm by DJ »  

WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge