Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neurology News article (Read 3693 times)
Mar
Ex Member

Neurology News article
Sep 11th, 2007 at 5:58pm

De novo appearance of cerebellar cavernous malformation in a ...

The authors report a case of cerebellar cavernous malformation associated with moyamoya disease. An adolescent male with moyamoya disease had undergone bilateral direct and indirect extracranial–intracranial anastomosis at 11 ...
Stroke/Vascular News - http://www.mdlinx.com/NeurologyLinx/xml-article.cfm/1956897

After reading this, I have to believe all the more that follow up testing is crucial with MMD, until we know more. I’m anxious to learn more about the recent MM genetic research study, to see if the genes associated with MMD are related in any way to the ones researchers found with CCM.

Here is an explanation of CCM- Cerebellar Cavernous Malformation:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cavernous_malformation/cavernous_malformation.htm

Very interesting to say the least, huh?

Mar

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Re: Neurology News article
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 9:25pm

Hi Mar,

The article is very interesting and I too am anxious for the genetic research study results.

CCM seems very similar to MMD with weak and thinner vessels.  The difference is the appearance of the vessels in CCM in that they are honeycomb - like pattern and the collateral vessels in MMD have the appearnace of a puff of smoke.

I support the idea of annual testing for those with MMD and especially after reading the article.

I wonder if those having MMD who have been informed they have MMD elsewhere like in the neck if it isn't CCM?
Don't know - just guessing.

Thanks for sharing such an interesting article.  I print articles such as this and place them in a folder for Kevin just in case we find ourselves in a situation like before wherein the doc said he had never seen anything like it meaning the collateral vessels and the puff of smoke.  However, today, if that happened, I would immediately call Dr. Steinberg.

Hugs,

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 10:17am

Hi Lore,

I too wonder if CCM exists in some cases of MMD. It’s especially worrisome to me when ya think about how many doctors out there are so unfamiliar with MMD, so how then would they recognize a finding with a MM patient when it's so similar, and especially when in many cases CCM shows no symptoms at all? Ya know what I mean? I have about a gazillion questions in my head after reading that article.

Hugs back at ya girlfriend Smiley

Mar

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 10:58am

VERY interesting article,thanks for posting it. I'm kind of questioning now if Kathleen should have a yearly MRI still.Dr. Scott hasn't suggested one for 2 yrs now.Lore that's a great idea to print up articles like this and keep them in a folder.Even though Kathleen seems very healthy right now It's always in the back of my head that this could change at any moment.It doesn't rule our life anymore but I don't think it will ever go away completely.There's just so much unknown about this disease.I can't wait till the research study is completed too! We have a lot of neurovascular issues in my family background.This could all prove very interesting to my whole family.Thanks again Mar for the article!
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge