Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
looks promising in the future (Read 5820 times)
mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
looks promising in the future
Feb 21st, 2008 at 9:30am

I just recieved this article from an e-mail pediatric stroke group.It looks quite promising AND I'm not surprised at the familiar face in the story!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080220/hl_nm/stroke_stemcells_dc

Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

lorabeas
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

killen, USA, AL, Alabama
Re: looks promising in the future
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 11:30pm

Wow!! Thanks Mary Grace,
Lora (Meadow's mom) Cheesy

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 5:30am

OMG, I have chills! Thanks soooooooooo much for posting this article Mary Grace. It made me cry and gave me real hope! I never thought I could be any more in awe of this great man and then I read this. WOW! Dr. Steinberg is truly a genius and a gift from God.

Mar

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 10:02am

It brought me to tears also.To think that one day Kathleen could regain function of her left hand and arm.We've worked soooo hard for 6 yrs on this,and I'll never give up hope.And now to read this! The loss of function of her left hand and arm will be always be the hardest thing for Kathleen to overcome and the one thing standing in the way of total independence in her future.The DS and the moyamoya itself are both something that don't really hold her back, but try for a minute to think about all the little things that will be difficult for her to do independently,dressing herself, fixing her hair,tying shoes,cutting her meat on her plate,making a sandwich,opening the containers in her luch box,the list goes on.Even if this takes 5 yrs,she'll only be 15 yrs old,it would be life altering for her.I'm very excited in case you hadn't noticed LOL.Your right Dr. Steinburgh is amazing!!!! he's already changed so many lives and now this could change so many more.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 1:48pm

Amen Mary Grace! I couldn't have worded it better!

Mar  Smiley

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:25pm

Absolutely amazing! I followed the link within the news article and printed the research paper. Now, if I could just find a whole LOT of  time to sit down with it and the internet to understand the medical jargon  Roll Eyes. Does anyone know which of the candidates is supportive of stem cell research? This will definitely effect my vote this election.
Kim

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 4:00pm

KTiller wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:25pm:
Does anyone know which of the candidates is supportive of stem cell research? This will definitely effect my vote this election.
Kim

Hillary Clinton
Voted in favor of funding
embryonic stem cell research.
“Let me be very clear: When I
am president, I will lift the ban on
stem cell research...”

Barack Obama
embryonic stem cell research.
“Embryonic stem cells can be
obtained from a number of sources
including in vitro fertilization. ...We
should expand and accelerate
research using these embryos

John McCain
embryonic stem cell research

Source: http://www.nrlc.org/Election2008/allcandidatescomparison.pdf

Mar

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 9:19pm

Thanks, Mar for the helpful information and the link to the website showing the candidates stance on these important issues. Still undecided, but this information helps to limit my choices.
Kim

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 9:20am

Mar -

You are a wealth of knowledge!  Thanks!

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 11:49am

I couldn't get the link to go to the story (maybe has expired), but the responses here sound like Dr. Steinberg is working with stem cells to regenerate brain connections lost during a stroke?  Fantastic!!  I'm going to have to do some more reserch to see if I can find the story.

Wanted to let you all know about a book along the same lines (except use of stem cells isn't mentioned).  "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Dr. Norman Doidge.  It outlines research and studies over the past 100 years or so that is proving that the brain can change itself (unfortunately sometimes neg as well as positive) and that the damge done in brain injuries is not neccesarily permanent and can be reversed even years after the injury!  Constraint-Induced Therapy is one example.
I'm planning to investigate some cognitive therapies available here in Sugar Land and online to help Kyle with his attention difficulties.  (he's 11 years post-stroke) One is Fast Forword and another is Cogmed.
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of these?

Thanks!

sue

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 9:11am

Hi Sue,

Here's the article that you couldn't get the link to:

Stem cells help rats recover function after stroke

By Will Dunham Wed Feb 20, 8:21 AM ET   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Transplanting brain cells produced from human embryonic stem cells helped fix stroke damage in the brains of rats, according to scientists who hope to test the same thing in people within about five years.

Researchers have been looking for ways to repair the brain damage from a stroke, which can cause permanent disability. In a study published on Tuesday, researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine in California reported that treatment involving human embryonic stem cells may be a solution.

Embryonic stem cells are the master cells that give rise to every cell and tissue in the body.

The Stanford team reported they restored lost limb function in rats that had stroke-related brain damage. They induced human embryonic stem cells to develop into neural stem cells that, once transplanted in the rats, developed into neurons and two other important types of brain cells.

The researchers hope to use this approach within about five years in studies involving people who have had strokes.

"We have a lot of evidence that we'll be able to use this kind of stem cell regenerative therapy in patients, including stroke patients," Stanford's Dr. Gary Steinberg, who helped lead the study, said in a telephone interview.

Writing in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS ONE, Steinberg's team described how they caused strokes in 10 rats and then transplanted neural stem cells into their brains.

The cells made their way to the damaged brain region and incorporated themselves into surrounding brain tissue.

The cells never grew uncontrollably into tumors in lab dishes or inside the rats, the scientists said. The transplanted cells helped repair the stroke damage and enabled the rats to recover lost function in front legs weakened as a result of the stroke, they added.

"It was not quite back to normal but, at least in the rat, it looks like it's going to be close to normal -- very impressive," Steinberg said.

"Now remember, this is a rat, not a human. We still have to make that step. But if we could achieve that kind of recovery in humans, we would have a great therapy," Steinberg added.

In a stroke, the blood supply to any part of the brain is blocked. This can occur when a blood vessel bringing blood to the brain is blocked by a blood clot, or when a blood vessel bursts, causing blood to leak into the brain.

If blood flow is halted for more than a few seconds, the brain is deprived of blood and oxygen, brain cells die and permanent damage can result.

Some people oppose the use of human embryonic stem cells on ethical grounds because creating the reservoirs of these cells for use in research involves the destruction of human embryos.

The study can be seen online at http://www.plosone.org/doi/pone.0001644

(Editing by Maggie Fox and Mohammad Zargham)

Mar

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 1:23pm

Thank you, MAR!!

And I have to retract my statement about the book not mentioning stem cells (I'm not quite thru reading it).  Lo and behold, the chapter I read last night was 10 - Rejuvination!  It doesn't mention Dr. Steinberg,but alludes to the work being done. He specifically mentions work with neuronal stem cells by Rusty Gage and Peter Ericsson at the Salk Lavoratories in La Jolla.  Their work led to them being able to stain the cells with a marker which is taken into the neurons only at the moment they are created and causes them to light up under the microscope.  This allowed them to see that the neurons did in fact form new cells in the brain even to the end of life.
for all of us who have been thru the stroke/brain damage aftermath, this is very exciting work and I'm especially excited to know that someone like Dr. Steinberg is involved!!
God bless them all!!

sue

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge