Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gathering in the Seattle Area (Read 51166 times)
LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Re: Gathering in the Seattle Area
Reply #25 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 1:09pm

Cheesy

Hello everyone whoes heading to Kims reunion!!!!

I can uncross my fingers!

The house is in escrow.
The trust company has offices everywhere and promised that they'd come to a campsite in Seattle, or the top of Everest, to help the transition/sale! Good people.

So, forget mount Everest --  I really want to meet you all. Jack and I are making plans to be there!
I am so excited. He's excited.
Will be wonderful to share this mm experience.

Looking forward!

Linda

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:35pm

Hey Linda and Jack,
Yippeeeee! I'm so excited I can't quite see straight. I was looking at the Chamber of Commerce accomodation list for a place for you to stay and look what I found for next year's gathering Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Wouldn't this be a fantastic place for for a gathering! That huge fire pit under the stars is really appealing.

OK, enough dreaming. I'll start concentrating on this year. I have a call into the Chamber of Commerce's lodging service - they're checking on availabilty for me. As soon as they call back, I'll post all the phone numbers and web addresses of those lodgings with available rooms.

Here's the group so far (Hope I haven't missed anyone):
Carol and Mac from Florida
Irrene and Joachem from Texas
Linda and Jack from California
Tammy from Washington
Cynthia and family from Washington
Sheila and Col from Washington
(Elizabeth from Wasington will be in Stanford having her surgeries, but with us in spirit)
Maybe Vanessa and her Mom from Washington
Hoping that Connie and her family from Washington can make it; she's just finishing her surgeries at Stanford
Me and my family

Carol, I'm still getting the information together about the whale watching cruises. I'll post it here as soon as I have all the details.

Come if you can - the more the merrier! It's no problem adding more to the dinner reservation.
Kim

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 3:58pm

Jan--
Small planes  Undecided I know what you mean... Plus, I think only Island Air goes to Lanai right? Don't forget to remind me of when you're coming here! I'll pick you up from your hotel so we can do lunch!  ;Grin

Kim--
Maui is beautiful too. I love Maui!   Wink  Lanikai? Well there you go--come to Oahu! LOL  Lanikai, as you know, is a very beautiful upscale neighborhood.  Oahu is great; however, if you're really looking for a laid back Gilligan's Island kinda' feeling, then Maui, Kauai and Lanai would probably be better.  They don't have the hustle and bustle of traffic on the highways like we do.  Tongue

We also now have the SuperFerry which runs from Oahu to Maui-- http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com.

Nonetheless, your reunion sounds like it's going to be a blast!  ;Grin  You're doing great with organizing this event.

Linda--
Quote:
'cabana boy' bringing me drinks!'
  Smiley I hope one day you're able to come out and visit us!...and whether it's a cabana boy or a hula girl, I'll be sure somebody brings you a nice, cool tropical drink when you're relaxing on the white sandy beach... Wink

Take care,
Shan

p.s. Did you see the post on the guestbook from Ms. Borge who was recently diagnosed on Maui with MM? Indeed, there are quite a few of us in Hawaii.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:01pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

doubletrouble
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

wenatchee, USA, usa, 69, 42, WA, Washington
Reply #28 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 2:28pm

Smiley  I  am looking forward  to  meet everyone that going to be at the gathering   ,  i am so very  excited  ,only 2 more weeks  .  i cant wait  ,   travel save everyone and i will see you there   Tammy Smiley

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #29 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 12:03pm

Good morning everyone~~~

It's foggy here on the North Coast of California but will probably burns off around noon.

So thoughts of a warm Hawaiian beach with the cabana boy, or girl (thanks Shan!), fill my mind -- and Jack and I would sincerely consider a reunion in your area -- would love to meet all the Islander mm'ers  too!

I'm  totally excited about Kim's reunion. Can't wait to meet everyone.

Love and looking forward,

Linda 

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #30 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 5:56pm

Hi all!
Got some more information about whale watching cruises. The gal at the Chamber of Commerce has used PS Express out of Port Townsend. The contact information is:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
360-385-5288 Cost $78.50 Adult, $53.50 Child
They leave from Port Townsend everyday at 9:00 AM. The best bet is to take the ferry from Key Stone to Port Townsend as a passenger (otherwise you have to make a reservation to take your car across). It's a fifteen minute walk down Water Street to the marina. This is an all day trip with a 1 1/2 hour stop in Friday Harbor (enough time to visit the Whale Museum and have lunch) returning to Port Townsend at 5:00 PM.
The other cruise is Mystic Sea Charters out of Annacotes The contact information is:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
800-308-9387 Cost $69.00 Adult, $49.00 17 years and under
No ferry neccesay. Departs 11:00 AM Returns 4:00 PM. No stop in Friday Harbor and whale signting guaranteeed or the next trip is free. Bring your own lunch.

Sea kyaking tours are with Whidbey Island Kyaking Company.
360-321-4683
Two hour guided kyak tour leaving from the Langley Marina and several other locations around the island. Depart at 10 AM and 2 PM.
$49 Adults (13 years and up)

There are still accomodations available in Langley, but it's a busy summer here and reservations need to be made soon. There are still rooms available at:
Ashington Manor; Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register]url]www.ashingtonmanor.com[/url] 866-456-5006

The Cat and the Fiddle Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 888-535-6222

Drake's Landing 360-221-3999, 206-391-8977

Back and Fourth 360-632-7572

Carol Lee's Atttic Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 360-730-1955

Or, if you don't mind changing rooms mid stay, you could have my room at the Saratoga Inn on Saturday night and stay at the other night(s) at Garden Path Suites(Really nice, and adjacent to our soap shop) Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 360-221-5121

You can also check out the Lodging link on the chamber of commerce web site; Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you'd like any brochures, send me your address and I'll mail them out to you.

Hope everyone is haveing a great summer. It's absolutely gogeous here today, sunshine, blue skies, a bit cool, but nice in the sunshine - great day for a hike.

See you soon,
Kim  8)

IP Logged

Janko
Experienced Poster

Take baby steps...one
step in front of the
other!!

Kekaha, USA, usa, 326, 333, HI, Hawaii
Reply #31 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 8:22pm

Hey Kim   Smiley

Guess things must be getting pretty hectic knowing that the mini reunion is only a week away  Shocked    Smiley.  Tell everyone I said hello and wish that I were there...please give Tammy a Smiley for me and let her know I'm thinking of her and wishing her the best!!  If I didn't send you me phone number, please ask Tammy, she has my number.

Aloha,
Jan

Everything is not just black and white.  Open your eyes, see what the world has to offer....

IP Logged

doubletrouble
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #32 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 1:16am

Smiley wow  ,  it almost time  for the get together  ,  i cant believe its almost here  ,  i am getting more and more excited  to meet everyone thats coming  ,   see you in a few days  and looking foward to have some fun   .  tammy

IP Logged

connie888
New Poster

I love My kids and family

Bellevue, USA, usa, WA, Washington
Reply #33 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 10:54am

Hi Kim,

We decided to go to reunion on 17th, Sunday morning.

Could you tell me where I can meet the group and the contact information  in case we lost?

Thanks a lot for your information!

Connie

IP Logged

Cynthia
New Poster

Hang in there!

Bellevue, USA, usa, 52, 31, WA, Washington
Reply #34 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 7:05pm

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much for being the organizer of this event.  My husband and Steve will be coming over on Saturday and leaving after dinner.  Steve needs to jet to Hawaii (for business) the next morning. 

We will need a dinner reservation for two - if in case you are getting that nailed down.  I don't know what else is going on but where should we plan to hook up with the group when we arrive?  We hope to make it there before noon. 

Cynthia

&&

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #35 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 10:27pm

Hi Everybody!  Smiley
I typed and typed a "very" long reply and then, just as I was about to post it, I hit the wrong tab and POOF, GONE!   Smiley
So, a "somewhat" briefer post this time.

Jan,
Got your phone number filed away and promise to give a big hug to Tammy. Hope to see you in Hawaii come January.

Tammy,
At last we'll be able to chat without interruption. Hugs waiting for you from so many folks on this board. See you soon.

Connie,
I'm delighted that you'll be able to come this Sunday! Sent an email the other day with contact information and driving directions from Bellevue. I'll post them to the bottom of this note. There's a slight revision to the directions from map quest, so be sure to checkout the directions given below.

Cynthia,
See you Saturday! Try to get into the ferry line early and be sure to bring a book, just in case the line is long. Got you and Steve on the reservation list for dinner.

Carol,
Did you get the information about the whale watching tours?

201 Cascade Avenue, Langley, WA 98260

CONTACT NUMBERS
Saratoga Inn: 800-698-2910, 206-221-5801
My home number is: 360-331-1301
My retail shop, Whidbey Island Soap Company is: 360-331-8214, 109 First Street (across the street from The Village Pizzareia - great pizza, by the way)

DIRECTIONS
Map Quest link from Bellevue:
or

1. I-405 N becomes WA-525 N.
2. WA-525 N becomes MUKILTEO-CLINTON FERRY (Check ferry schedule/fares).
3. MUKILTEO-CLINTON FERRY becomes WA-525.
4. The mapquest directions say:
- Turn RIGHT onto MAXWELTON RD.
- Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto LANGLEY RD.
INSTEAD:
- Drive off the ferry onto WA-525 N
- Turn RIGHT at the first traffic light onto LANGLEY RD.
4. LANGLEY RD. becomes CAMANO AVE.
5. Turn RIGHT at the stop sign onto CASCADE AVE.
6. End at 201 Cascade Ave Langley, WA 98260-8415

Map Quest link from Seattle:
or

1. I-5 N via the ramp on the LEFT toward VANCOUVER B.C..
2. Merge onto WA-525 N via EXIT 182 toward WA-99.
3. Follow the same instruction as 2-6 above.

The Saratoga Inn is a two-story, cedar-shingled building on the right side of the road, 201 Cascade Avenue, Langley WA 98260. Park on the street or turn right into their parking lot behind the building. Come in the front door. We'll be in the conference room just to the right of the entry.

TRAFFIC NOTE & ISLAND COUNTY FAIR
The Island County Fair is in full swing this weekend. The fairgorund is located on the right side of Langley Road just as you come into town. Traffic will be a bit congested there (by island standards, that means it might take an extra five minutes) It's an old-fashioned county fair of manageable size - lots of fun. Here's the link to the fair's website:

MISCELLANEOUS
We have the conference room at the Saratoga Inn reserved for both Saturday and Sunday. But should folks want to get out and about, there's a white board there where we can leave messages for each other and cell phone numbers.

Downtown Langley is only two streets by one long block, so it's pretty easy to find one another. I'll put out some maps of both the town and of entire island for those who want to wander around.

There'll be name tags we can wear, so we can recognize each other. I'm not very good at remembering people's names - it's really embarassing sometimes.

I'll put out brochures about activities happening on the island this weekend and information about kayaking and whale watching tours.

Jill sent us copies of the first issue of the Stanford publication, Bench and Bedside that featured Dr. Steinberg on the front cover and also the Moyamoya handbook that Teresa authored. Thanks, Jill!
If you haven't yet seen a copy, here's the link to Bench & Bedside:

MOVIE
The historical, and kitchy, Clyde Theatre is showing the following movie:
August 15-18 (FSSM) Hancock
Will Smith plays a superhero who needs an attitude adjustment in this action comedy. Hancock has saved Los Angeles from disaster lots of times, but he’s trashed it a lot too. However public-relations guru Jason Bateman has a plan to put a little more love in the love/hate relationship the city has with its misunderstood defender. He’s Will Smith, you know, how bad can he be?
Not yet rated.
Running time not yet known

Here's the link to their website: [url]www.theclyde.net/url]

DINNER
Dinner reservations are made for 6:00 PM for outdoor deck of The Prima restaurant. We can easily add more seats to the reservation on Saturday afternoon. I'll leave a signup sheet in the table in the conference room. Be sure to bring a sweater or light jacket - they have outdoor heaters but it can get a bit chilly in the evenings.

WEATHER
The weather report is for a sunny weekend, temperatures in the 60-70 range. So bring a sweater or light jacket. In the pacific nortwest it's always wise to have a rain jacket handy. P.S. There is a convergence zone over the island that makes the weather forecasters often wrong.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Have safe trips.
Hugs Smiley,
Kim

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Akron, USA, usa, 421, 123, OH, Ohio
Reply #36 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:39am

KIM!

Where have I been? I feel like Rip Van Winkle! I just saw this posting and your reunion plans only now with just days away from the big gathering! Boy...you have undertaken quite the ambitious endeavor! I wish I were able to join you all,  but my sisters and I have been planning an Oct visit to Seattle since the beginning of this year. Our plans are set and air tickets have been purchased. Seems I'm always....a day late or a dollar short...lol! (I've been off the board for a few months, had a 6 week overseas trip and pre and post travel been sidetracked with houseshowings yuck..guess I shouldn't stay away for such long spells!)

Well....you have certainly listed so many great links for things to do and places to visit.....I am sure the info will come in handy our plans! (thanks)

I also want to say.....I LOVED your video deput of the store! In fact, your whole town is so quaint and charming. Forget....coming to meet with me in Bainbridge Island....we will have to plan a day and tour "your" area! Anyways....I will be in touch.....and we can fine tune the details later. Meanwhile, you have OTHER plans to finalize at the moment with mm'ers.

My dates are Sat 10/25 -11/1 ..... I arrive into Seattle at 7pm Saturday 10/25.....I believe we will be touring the city of Seattle on Sunday....leave for Vancouver on Monday for a couple days....then ??? and I leave early Sat morning 11/01
At this point .... things are still in the early stages. But, your area is touristic and could make a lovely day trip for my sisters and I. We can patronage your local shops and have lunch with a good insiders recommendation of the best dining establishment! You and I can finally have that well earned slice of chocolate cake.....with a cup of Seattle's best coffee! (or tea)

Big hugs....and have a SUPER gathering!

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:43am by lotsofkids »  

Hmmm....seems I'm kinda "special" LOL

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #37 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:13am

Hi Diane,
It's on my calendar - see you in October!  Smiley
Kim

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #38 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 5:54pm

Hey all of you Seattleites!  I'll be thinking of you and wishing I was there with you all weekend.  Hope you have a wonderful time (is there any doubt?), and I'll be anxious to hear about all the wonderful things you did, talked about, etc.

My heart will be there . . . enjoy yourselves!

Smiley Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

doubletrouble
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #39 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 5:23pm

Kim  ,   What an amazing weekend  ,  Thank you so much  for putting together everything  .  it was wonderful meeting you  and your son .      you are a very special  person  .   i will never forget this experince  ,  thank you for that  , 

CAROL ,   It  was a pleasure meeting you and beening able to talk with you ,  you are such a wonderful person ,     8)  you amazed me  with everything that you have done in your life  .    

Linda and Jack  .   you two are  awesome .  i am so happy that you  where able to make it to the gathering  ,  .i will never forget  you 2 .  your the best  ,

Cynthia ,Sheila and Irene  ,  it was so great to meet you ladies  ,    i hope you will keep in touch  . 

everyone  i had a wonderful experience  that i will take with me  in my life  ,  i am looking forward  to meeting again soon  ,   what a wonderful   time this was ,    ,   i will try to post pictures  soon  ,  take care all of my MM  FRIENDS . 
                                     Tammy Smiley

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

I'm off to Paradise Lodge on Mt. Reinier for a few
Reply #40 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 1:25pm

The one good thing about Moyamoya is the absolutely amazing people who have come into my life. Thank you all for being you.

Thank you all for taking the time from your busy lives and making the effort to gather this last week. Every one of you is an inspiration -
Irene and Joachem
Carol and Mac
Linda and Jack
Sheila and Coll
Tammy
Cynthia and Steve
Elizabeth's Mom, Dorothy and her sister, Lana - Dorothy is with her daughter who had her surgery yesterday at Stanford
Jill who was definitely here in spirit
And my son, David who kept the shop so that I was free to enjoy this precious time with all of you.

I'm off to Paradise Lodge on Mt. Reinier for a few days of doing nothing. I'm looking forward to a little time away without responsibilities to begin plotting out what comes next. Doubt I'll come home with a complete plan, but it'll be a start.

Kim

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Akron, USA, usa, 421, 123, OH, Ohio
Reply #41 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 2:18pm

OK.....The plan is to POST some pictures lol!

sounds like you all had a perfect weekend.....so glad it all went well and the weather was with you!

smiles...diane

Hmmm....seems I'm kinda "special" LOL

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #42 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 2:34pm

I was going to mention the same thing as Diane.  Will you be sharing pictures?  I'd love to see y'all!  Heavy sigh that I couldn't go . . . would've loved to, but am thrilled you had a good time!  Any chance of a repeat performance next year????

Smiley Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

Cynthia
New Poster

Hang in there!

Bellevue, USA, usa, 52, 31, WA, Washington
Reply #43 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:05pm

THANK YOU KIM !! for organizing the Pacific NW Moyamoya Club meeting -- Steve and I had a great time meeting and sharing our experiences with all of you.  We learned a lot.  Best of all I realized that I needed to take it easy - I am still recovering.  We all are still recovering and need to really rest and take care of ourselves.    We all have been through a lot.

Since our meeting, I purchased the book My Stroke of Insight and have been reading about the recovery process of the brain.  The author mentions that in the years after her stroke, she slept 11 hours a night which  helped her body recover.  After reading that I have been much more consciencous about hitting the sack at an earlier time.  Hope to make that a new "habit".

We learn so much by sharing our experiences and information. 

Thanks again Kim for the wonderful gathering.  Enjoyed chatting with David too.  He is a nice support for you.

Cynthia

&&

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #44 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 9:39pm

The North West MM gathering~

It was incredible!

Besides being in a beautiful location, and having the conference room at the hotel (which was lovely -- over looking the Sound) as home base to meet and share and keep track of one another.... meeting you all was such a delight. I really enjoyed sharing our experiences with living with, discovering, and having mm surgery. and how it is for each of us now to go forward. It's been a long trip (medically) but I feel significant and positive changes in myself post surgery almost 8yrs ago. Again, sharing with everyone has been significant and enjoyable. Jack shares these thoughts too. Nice to meet others who are in the same situation.

Jack and I did two more whale watch trips and saw the three major pods of orca on both of these trips. They even swam up to the boat and right under us. I was in heaven!  We took time driving home and visited an IMAX show on the Grand Canyon at Seattle at OMSI and a show narrated by R. Redford on  solar systems colliding.
Drove along the Columbia river to the mouth and back, and relaxed in Cottage Grove trying to shake the cold I got.

Jack and I had a wonderful time being with everyone.
Please keep up if you care to via email.

Thanks especially to Kim for all of her work and care.

Love,
Linda (LA)
and Jack sends HUGS.

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #45 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 9:48pm

OOPS!

OMSI is in Portland, Ore.

But the Science Center and all the great places below the Seattle Space Needle are full of great things to do. Saw a laser light show to the music of the Beatles while we were there.  When we got into the Science Center and I saw the huge replica turtles and the  lights and water, I cried because I hadn't been able to deal with crowds and over stimulation for so lone....and there I was, loving it!!!!!

Note: South Seattle is really fun because one can enjoy the incredible view of the Needle and skyline from across a waterway. Lots of cafes and good food. all overlooking the skyline.

Linda

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #46 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 5:51pm

Hi ya,
I'd post pictures, but I first forgot the camera and then when I did have it with me I forgot to actually use it! Heck, my forte is soap, definitely NOT photography. So, would any of you who did take pictures please post them here. Especially that one group picture that was taken of all of us in front of the Saratoga Inn sign - that one I'd love to see.

Linda and Jack, Did you get and good pictures of the whales? Still haven't used my ticket for the whale watching cruise. Friday, David and I are going to the Sea Kayak Symposium in Port Townsend. Maybe I can get in the whale watching trip the following weekend. As usual too much to do and never enough time...

Gorgeous day here, deep blue sky, that beautiful diffused sunlight that comes with fall, not too hot, not too cold - just right. Wish I could share it with you.

Kim

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge