Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Life Insurance after surgery ? (Read 25828 times)
amraprobasi
New Poster

Foster City, USA, CA, California
Life Insurance after surgery ?
Jul 22nd, 2008 at 5:47pm

Hi all,

I had my surgery 3 years back and doing perfectly fine. I was recently trying to purchase life insurance and hence I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of buying one after surgery.

Does the fact that we had moyamoya / surgery negatively affect premium ?

Which insurance companies are better with regard to this type of pre-existing conditions ?

Thanks

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Re: Life Insurance after surgery ?
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 8:08pm

I don't know about life insurance, but when I asked about long-term care insurance shortly after my stroke, I was told that I could purchase the policy only after being stroke free for one year. Not sure how having had the stroke would have effected the premium though.
Kim

IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Salt Lake, USA, usa, 129, 143, UT, Utah
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 9:11pm

Hello.
     My husband and I tried to get AFLAC life insurance.  He and my children are covered in all areas but I was only able to get coverage in case I ever get CANCER!!!
I am about 2 and a half years post surgery without stroke or TIA's in over a year.  Best of luck!  Newt

IP Logged

fortunegirls
New Poster

Boyne City Michigan
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 4:28pm

I have tried to get life insurance several times.  They continue to tell me that I have to be problem free for one to two years. Never seems to happen for me.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone else found some and where. 
Good luck, Lorie

Lorie Baker Fortune Lorie+Baker+Fortune  
IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 2:06pm

Hi All,

As a licensed health, life, disability, AD&D and annuity insurance agent, with 35 years experience in the insurance industry, I can share life insurance underwriting with you.

Life insurance is based on mortality (death).  Life insurance underwriting views a stroke as life changing and life threatening in many ways.  There is a waiting period for both TIAs and stroke.

With a TIA, the insurance company is looking for a recurrence or a stroke. With a stroke, it has to do with recovery from the neurological effects.  They are looking for how severly impacted the person is, and success in treatment in preventing a recurrence.

The less impact a major health problem has on your life, the less impact it will have on your ability to find reasonable insurance rates.

Bottom line, life insurance looks at medical events, damage done and how prone that makes a person to additional mortality events.  As an example, a progressive carotid artery disease, like moyamoya, although not the same as Arterioclerosis, is a serious concern to most life insurance companies.  With that said, not all life insurance companies underwrite the same.

There are insurance companies who will underwrite high risk cases. Keep in mind, the higher the risk, the higher the price.  Term insurance is cheaper than Whole Life since there is no cash value associated with Term life insurance.

You can search the web for a high risk or stroke life insurance company to compare rates or ask your life insurance agent to suggest a company that may consider underwriting you.

Hope this helps.

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:25am

Hi All,

I found a site that may be of help in obtaining life insurance for individuals with a pre-existing condition.  

A male in his mid 50's, with high blood pressure, got a $500,000 term life policy for about $30 a month. That certainly got my attention!

I have no idea whether you will be able to obtain life insurance based on your individual medical history and circumstances but it can't hurt to shop and also compare rates. This site compares term life policy rates to literally hundreds of insurance companies.

Here's the link:

www.selectquote.com/home2/homepage.html

Let me know if you are able to obtain a term life policy and if so, at a reasonable rate, and with which life insurance company.

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

sarah
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 9:51am

I don't know if it maybe different here in the UK but I thought Life Insurance was similar to travel insurance in that if something happened because of MM they wouldn't payout? How I feel after my opp I don't think I will be dying due to a stroke or Tia! you should question this with insurance companies.

IP Logged

momof2
New Poster

I love my kids!

Orofino, USA, ID, Idaho
Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 12:53pm

Hey guys,
I'm not 100% sure but, I do believe that like health insurance for kids they do not look at pre exsisting conditions anymore.  So I will be getting my daughter on life ins soon rather than later...so for those that have children with MM I'd look into getting them life ins through a company.  My veh ins is with state farm and that is who I am going to get the life ins through I have already talked to them about it some. 
Jen's Mom

Take it one day at a time.  God only hands us what he knows we can deal with.
momof2 mikeys_girl94  
IP Logged

Fanni Perez
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

706 2nd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN
Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:39am

The typical insurance coverage for surgery policy vary. It depends on your health insurance providers. Take the help of financial adviser, they can guide in a better way.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Maxwell
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 3:00pm

HI all,

I was recently diagnosed with MM.
I was also looking into this life insurance.  I know someone that had multiple conversations with some life insurance underwriters.
The underwriters comments back were to wait anywhere from 1-2 years before applying for insurance after surgery.
They want to know you have a good bill of health post surgery.  I think that would make sense from thier persective.

I am sure the more years that go by post surgery, the better costs you would get too provided you are still in good health then.

One company said they would not see me until the 5th year...which i thought was pretty tough...

My outlook - there are many insurance companies and im going to see if i can get one as soon as possible...even if it is a bit more expensive.  Later (couple years) if i continue to be healthy i will re-negotiate my insurance for better / lower costs.

The most important thing for my immediate future is to GET the life insurance.

good luck to you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge