Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dr. Hajeime Touho in Osaka, Japan (Read 12141 times)
Cherry (LuckyMe)
Junior Poster

Get busy on living or
get busy on dying?

Chicago, USA, IL, Illinois
Dr. Hajeime Touho in Osaka, Japan
Oct 28th, 2008 at 4:12pm

Hi All,

I don't know if anybody still remembers me.  I was diagnosed with MMD on April and went here for help on fighting with insurance company.  Long story short, I lost the battle with insurance company. I wasn't able to see Dr. Steinberg.  We appealed twice, but all failed. On July, instead of putting my life under some local surgeon’s knife who we can't fully trust, our family decided to control our own fate.  We don't want to waste more time on appealing again.  We believed successful and TIMELY surgery is more important than anything else.  My then only 8 months old son needs a healthy mother to take care of him, and my husband needs a healthy wife.  So we decided to find the best doctor that we can afford regardless wherever he lives in the world.

Our thought was, since Japan is the pioneer on treating MMD, why don’t we try Japan?  So after tons of research, we find the best MM surgeon in Japan who’s been conducting by-pass surgeries for over 800 cases (even more than Dr. Steinberg). 
Dr. Hajime Touho
is the top 1 MM surgeon in Japan who has excellent reputation and MMD patients all over Japan.  He has his own (private) MMD (and stroke) surgery hospital in Osaka.

So my husband and I traveled to Japan on August, left my son home with grandma and grandpa.  I checked in to Dr. Touho’s hospital on Aug 6th.  Angiogram, Xenon CT, new MRA/MRI, blood test etc were done.  Instead of by-pass on both sides (which was suggested by Dr. Steinberg), Dr. Touho only wanted to give me by pass on the right side.  Based on Dr. Touho’s experience and my testing results, since I still have enough blood supply on the left side of my brain, if TIA never happened on the right side of my body, then he doesn’t recommend surgery on left brain.  The philosophy is a different on how to treat certain disease between eastern and western doctors.  I don’t want to go too far on this topic.  But anyway, my family totally agreed on Dr. Touho’s philosophy.

I had a successful bypass surgery on the right side on Aug. 14th.  Of course I had headache couple of times during the first week after surgery, and couple of minutes of mild numbness on my left fingers.  But nothing serious.  My husband had to go came back to state (for work and my son) only 2 days after my surgery.  I stayed in hospital all by myself.  I recovered very quick.  From the 2nd week after the surgery, I felt perfect fine.  No major headache, no numbness at all. 

During my one month stay in the hospital, all the nurses and staffs were very nice to us and very considerate.  Dr. Touho and his second hand doctor (Dr. Yanakawa) visited me everyday, answered all my concerns and questions very patiently.  Nurses brought me home made low sugar Japanese cakes.  Dr. Touho even made some clay doll toys (his hobby) for my son during his spare time.  I didn’t feel lonely.  I felt that I was surrounded with people who really cares even though I was in another country alone.

I checked out from the hospital on Sept 1st and came back from Osaka to Chicago on my own.  Due to the Labor day traffic, lot of the flights were delayed or cancelled.  So I have to fly from Osaka to San Francisco first, then was rerouted to D.C, then Chicago.  It’s a total of 36 hours or a little longer trip.  I carried a fully loaded backpack and a carry on suitcase all by myself.  I didn’t have any symptom during the whole trip, although I was exhausted at the end.

After one month of coming back from Japan, on Oct 6th, I started a new job.  I’m working fulltime now.  Chasing around my 13 months old son all over the place every day, feeling strong enough to handle the day to day activities without any weakness on the left side of the body.

I just want to thank everyone on this forum for giving me advises and helped me out in the past. Especially thanks for Lisa and her husband Mark who nicely gave us lots of insider information of MMD.

If anybody wants to know more about Dr. Touho and his hospital, here’s the link:

http://www.touhoclinic.jp/

You can use some online translation software if you can't read Japanese.  The translation is not always perfect, but most of the time, you can understand at lest.

You can also asked me on the forum or email me your question.  I’ll try my best to answer.

Cherry

Cherry (LuckyMe)  
IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Re: Dr. Hajeime Touho in Osaka, Japan
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 2:06am

Morning

We are desparately waiting for our duaghter Luca to stabalize enough to get her the help she needs as nobody is able to do the operation in South Africa. We are also looking to alternatives to Dr Steinberg as the Rand Dollar exchange is rather frightening at the moment. I have done a search on the web for Dr Touho's contact details and have come up with nothing, do you have an email address for us?

x Nicky

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Cherry (LuckyMe)
Junior Poster

Get busy on living or
get busy on dying?

Chicago, USA, IL, Illinois
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 4:19pm

Nicky,

check your email.

Good luck.

LoveKeanu

Cherry (LuckyMe)  
IP Logged

tsengtseng
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:58pm

Lucky Me

Hi Can you give me more info on
dr. Touhu? Same as above, the website is very limited and has no email address. Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 6:28am

Hi Tsengtseng

I sent you a PM awhile back but I see you haven't opened it. Here is Dr Touho's email:

auatd900@wombat.zaq.ne.jp

Good luck

Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

tsengtseng
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 11:29am

Hi mark

Due to my busy schedule I haven't really gone online these past few days. Will send him an email right now, hopefully i'll hear a reply by tomorrow. Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge