Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Article on Tara's Swimming Achievements (Read 8459 times)
Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Article on Tara's Swimming Achievements
Nov 5th, 2008 at 8:16am

This is a great article about Tara and her swimming achievements. Go Tara!

Also, the article has several related stories.  The story on neural transplantation is remarkable.  That Dr. Steinberg is not only a pioneer, he's a genuis!

http://med.stanford.edu/mcr/2008/moyamoya-1105.html

Lore  

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Re: Article on Tara's Swimming Achievements
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:07pm

Wow, we didn't realize Stanford was re-launching this article today!  Kind of caught us by surprise, but I'm guessing they're targeting something (who knows what?) specific.

We're all hoping that this is just a small beginning of Tara's quest for greatly increasing moyamoya awareness.  She mentioned the other day that her hope is for moyamoya awareness to rival breast cancer in familiarity.  (Not that we wish for 1 in 4 women to be diagnosed with MM, but bringing awareness to a comparable par would be awesome, wouldn't it?)

After the flurry of swims the last few months, Tara is scoping out future open water swims. There probably won't be any more until 2009, but the nice thing is that they have them EVERYWHERE (I'm rooting for the one in St. Croix at some point!).  This type of swim seems to be more prevalent in the February - October time frame, so stay tuned.  She's looking around, seeing what she might be able to pull off, keeping school and her goal of nursing as a priority.  She is definitely a woman on a mission, so watch out!  We are just beyond proud of her and her lion-size heart.

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you all again for your love and support.  Many of you are the wind beneath Tara's wings, and we are so blessed to call you our friends.

Big hugs,
Jill (and proud papa, Campbell)    

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

cass/kate
Experienced Poster

Daughter Kate has moyamoya.

Dallas, USA, usa, 270, 251, TX, Texas
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 12:32pm

WOW ! !   TARA THIS IS GREAT ! !  WAY TO GO, GIRL !  WE LOVE YOU.

CASS, KATE, JON, GREG AND TYLER

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 2:13am

Tara~

Great swimming -- I realize it was a few months ago but.....

I'm so proud of you for doing the swim, and for using it to increase awareness of moyamoya.

A woman on a mission!

I'm proud of you, and thankful!!!
\
Best LOVE,

Linda and Jack

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 7:58pm

Tara, your achievements have been a great inspiration for my daughter.  She rides her horse competetively and really hates that she will won't be able to go to shows or ride for a while after her surgery.  She is getting close enough to her surgery date that she is starting to get scared...up until now she's been very brave.  seeing how well you have done is a great comfort to her...there is life after surgery.  Keep up the good work.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

CarasMOM
Old-Time Poster

My 11 year old Cara has
MM.

Sedalia, Missouri
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 11:05pm

I just printed out Tara's article.  So that I can give a copy to the school nurse and Cara's 4th grade teacher....it gives enough information...a perfect article to have to explain MM.  Especially living in a new state...with the school not knowing Cara before and during her surgeries...and her ongoing on and off little TIA's (but aren't TIA's ...instead symptoms of MM) She told me today that the teacher doesn't have any idea what she's having during the episodes ...so am emailing her some information.  Thanks xox

Warm Hugs and Prayers, CarasMOM (Carol)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge