Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Treatment at Kaiser Permanente for MM (Read 9522 times)
esyou
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Long Beach, CA
Treatment at Kaiser Permanente for MM
Jan 14th, 2009 at 5:26pm

I'm wondering if anyone in California has Kaiser insurance and has had surgery through them?

Suni
Long Beach, CA

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Re: Treatment at Kaiser Permanente for MM
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 9:39am

Hi Suni,

I’m sorry no one’s replied to your specific question, but unfortunately once some members have surgery, they seldom come back to the website to help answer many of the questions others may have, but while I was looking for experienced surgeons in Europe for another patient, I noticed this post. I don’t know if it will help you or not, but for what it’s worth, he mentioned Kaiser in California, but it was his only post. Hope it helps.

Mar

http://www.moyamoya.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1071435986/0#0

i would like to add the surgeon who did my surgeries. i had my first surgery in december 1999 and the second one was march 2000. his name is Marc. Vanefsky, kaiser permenente hospital in anaheim calif. he specializes in this procedure. he diagnosed my problem and  he had me in surgery within a week of my diagnosis. i was 35 years old. i am fine now and i truly believe it was Dr. Vanefsky who saved my life.

jeff Williams

IP Logged

connie1
New Poster

Union City, USA, usa, 24, 155, CA, California
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 9:46pm

Hi, Suni.

It's been a long time since I've visited this site and thank Linda for asking me to respond to your question. I had my surgeries with Kaiser 2004 and 2005 at the Redwood City Neurology center with Dr. Nicole Moayeri. In fact, she's a fantastic surgeon, the incisions were clean and successful. While I had a hard time initially turning to Kaiser since Dr. Steinberg is greatly heralded for his successes, I firmly believe that Dr. Moayeri did amazingly. Please see her bio: http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pages/c7159-top.html. She, again, was so amazing. One of my vessels, barely 3 mm wide, leaked during surgery and she successfully and skillfully sutured. I'm pretty good for it.

However, Kaiser's follow-up procedures were less helpful and assuring. I didn't receive much more than about a few weeks of follow-up care. Compared to Stanford's procedures Kaiser is less diligent particularly because it isn't a research clinic studying moyamoya. That was unfortunate. A few of the neurologists that I saw were compassionate but less knowledgeable as Dr. Maoyeri, as a neurosurgeon. There was a Dr. Rao but I don't think he's around.

I've changed providers recently since I returned to graduate school and am out of touch with Kaiser's doctors; I apologize for this.

Hope this helps. I'll be checking in occasionally; hope this helped.

Very best,
Connie

IP Logged

esyou
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Long Beach, CA
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 3:03am

Mar,

Mar and Connie, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my email.

Mar, the information you've given on a previos posting from someone who was treated at Kaiser was so exciting.  As it turns out, the Dr. Vanefsky, who did Jeff Williams surgery at Kaiser, is my neuro at Lakeview Kaiser in Anaheim.  What a relief to know that he's not new to the game and it appears that he's performed this procedure successfully in the past.  Your information just made my day and relieved some major anxiety I have.  Thank god for people like you two who take the time and provide information to scared first timers like me.  I'm going to see him on Friday.  It's my first time seeing him since he gave me my diagnose in December.  We'll have alot to talk about.  I have a notebook of questions for him.  I actually made a three ring binder of information since it's so technical and confusing but it keeps me sane when I feel like I'm going to lose it.  Will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Suni
Long Beach, CA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge