Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hello (Read 17329 times)
aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
hello
Jul 23rd, 2009 at 1:26am

Hi everyone i am new to all of this...my doughter Nicole is 6 years old and diagnosed with MMD june 26 2009...She is scheduled for an angiogram on july 27 and the surgery on the 31 with dr Smith at Boston Children Hospital...I feel overwhelmed.. Cry

Nicole Kawasaki Disease 18 mo
Nicole diagnosed with MM 6-26-09

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Re: hello
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 4:11am

Hi Aneta

Overwhelming is an understatement.....

Welcome to moyamoya.com. You are at the beginning of a very long journey but you are off to a great start believe it or not. Too many people take too long to get diagnosed and the fact that you already have surgery booked so soon is very encouraging. You are also at the right hospital being treated by the right doctors.

Surgery is the definitive treatment for moyamoya and you'll find many survivors here who have experienced exactly what you are going through.

I don't doubt that you have many questions, so when you feel like asking I'm sure we'll have the answers.

Look after Little Nicole and keep us updated.

Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Danielle
Junior Poster

3 year old daughter with
Moyamoya disease

Michigan
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 8:51am

Aneta, I couldn't have said it any better. She is in good hands at Boston. I jointed this site well after my daughters surgeries and wish I would have found it sooner. I have learned so much and every time I check it out it makes me feel better. Feel free to wright back with any questions. Also keep us posted on the angio and surgery. We will pray for you and Nicole. Good Luck. Danielle

Positive thinking is key!

IP Logged

aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 1:41pm

I have learned very quickly that time for people with MM is an enemy..this disease is so unpedictable...one day you walk talk and a day later you can be stuck to a whealchair ...Yes..we are in a way lucky to find out and  be diagnosed so fast...Nicole had Kawasaki a 18 mo she came out of it with no compications or heart problems..but I became even more sensitive then probably most moms that kids are healthy to little things ...thank God she didint have a stroke only headaches and few TIA's ..although i know its progressing...her headaches turned this  month into pain that ends with vomiting..Otherwise she looks so healthy and  it is so hard to keep her from running, swimming, activities where she can get tired easy  especially now in the summer..
   Tomorow pre-op visit at 7:00 am..wish us luck  Wink
         Thank you  for your support !!! Aneta

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 3:27am

Hi Aneta

Remind me, what is kawasaki?

Thinking of you today.

Mark (Luca's Dad)

Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 5:36pm

Hi everyone !! what a hard day ?..and that was just pr-op vist..we have 1.5 drive one way to BCH and appt. was at 7:00 am..but still feel lucky that we dont have to go on the plane.. pr-op went very well Nicole got geen ligh for the  surgery....Monday going back for cerebral arteriogram that will be done by dr.Robertson...must be in the hospital by 6:oo am..I am suprised that she will not stop her aspirin
regimen before surgery...but doctors know better.. right ? Smiley

Kawasaki disease is also disease that affects blood vessel but of the heart..Usually involves skin ,mouth and lymph nodes...can cause  arrhythmias, heart disease , aneurysms and in rare cases heart attack in children before age 5.. Nicole was treated with gamma globulin and asiprin...we also followed-up with cardiologist every month for a year..

IP Logged

aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 12:33am

Nicole went  through her cerebral angiogram today like a trooper..loved her cotton candy smelling  face musk:) she kept her leg nice and straight for fours after the procedure...I was impressed...Back home without any problems..
  Getting ready for comming friday and following week..Nicole's surgery is this friday 7-31-09 ...Dr.Smith will do bilateral pial synangiosis... Thanks to this site and reading so many positive info im trying not to drive myself crazy and stay positive ..I know it will be one of the worst and  longest days of my life...She is still so little and she and her body already get to go through so much....as a mom I want to tell her it is just a bad dream and i can't...my heart is "bleeding"...
     She will be in the hands o God and one of the best surgical team in the world on friday....

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 4:26am

Hey Aneta

One step at a time... Nicole is doing fantastically well.

I feel your pain, watching our kids suffer is very difficult; all you want is to take the suffering away from them. I know it's hard to believe now, but before you know it this will be a distant memory.

Stay strong for Little Nicole, I'll be thinking of you.

Mark (Luca's Dad)

Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Danielle
Junior Poster

3 year old daughter with
Moyamoya disease

Michigan
Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 11:28am

Good luck on Friday. Stay positive. It will be a very hard day for you but it is so worth it. Your daughter is so strong and should not be underestimated. She will do just fine. Lots of Love. Keep us posted. Danielle & Mike

Positive thinking is key!

IP Logged

joshandmom9770
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 1:36pm

Will be thinking of you on surgery day , my lil man who  is 11 will be having surgery in the next few weeks at Sick kids hospital in Toronto , Ontario, we will find out exact date tomorrow, he  was also just diagonised, and reading some stuff on this site is both helpful and scarey , but we are so happy to have found the site and the support has been amazing , Mich ...Joshs mom

IP Logged

aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 8:47pm

Nicole's bilateral pial synangiosis is done:) Dr Smith and his team at BCH did a marvelous job...The surgery lasted about 8 hours..Out of the hospital in 6 days..Nicole is doing great!!! If not the scars on both sides of her head and limited activities its very hard to recognize that she went through sooooooo much...We are very proud of her.. Thank you all for all your prayers and support..Thank you God for doctors like dr. Smith..

IP Logged

Twyla
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 7:09pm

Your family is in our prayers.

IP Logged

aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:56pm

Hi everyone ,
a little update on Nicole ...it has been a month after  the  surgery and shes doing just great...went to second grade with all her friends...we are soo happy and glad that it is all over...we are praying  that she will recover and progress to her health as beautiuly as she does now...God please no more pain suprises and drama !!!...love you all...thank you for prayers..

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 8:20pm

Nicole,

Dr. Scott in Boston is the first physician who took me seriously when I suggested that perhaps all of my daughter's symptoms pointed to MMD.  Dr. Jodi Smith, who trained as a fellow with Dr. Scott in Boston, is scheduled to perform my daughter's surgeries in October.  It does my heart good to read that your daughter is doing so well after her surgery.

Best regards,

Jennifer
Mommy to a 6 y/o with MMD
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

aneta
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chicopee, MA    
Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 12:06am

just an update on Nicole:)
it has been a year and a half since Nicole's surgery...Nicole is doing fantastic...even though her moyamoya progressed as her angiogram showed in Dec. of last year  her new blood vessels are doing an awsome job in supplementing bad ones...we just had second mri ...nicole can go back to play sports ...no more new strokes which is great news ....Nicole still complaints about headaches a lot and her blood pressure is little on a higher side but other then that she looks and acts like a perfectly healthy kid ...thank you for everythig good bless everyone ...we are looking farward to a meeting in Philadelphia ..hopefuly will be there  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge