Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Marathon Walk to Raise Funds for Moyamoya (Read 14024 times)
KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Marathon Walk to Raise Funds for Moyamoya
Jul 24th, 2009 at 10:45pm

Hi Everyone Smiley
I'm in training to walk in the Seattle Marathon this November 29th. I'll be sending out a letter to everyone I know or do business with asking them to support my walk by writing a check to Stanford Medical Center to support Dr. Steinberg's MM research. Can you give me some suggestions on what else I might do to raise more funds?

I've never done anything like this before, it's my first ever athletic event. Weighing in at 200 pounds it'll be quite an endeavor, but the cause is well worth the effort. And if this doesn't help to shed some of those pounds, nothin' will.SmileyWould anyone like to join me?Smiley There's plenty of time yet to train for the event. There are also half marathon, 5K, and 10K walking and running events.

I think Thanksgiving weekend is an auspicious date for this. For me, it'll be a celebration of my gratitude to the Stanford team. If not for their amazing skill and care I doubt I'd still be able to walk so far - I'm one of the lucky ones. I sure would like to see an end put to this disease.

I'll do my best to get us some media coverage to promote awareness of Moyamoya. Will you join me?
Kim

IP Logged

disneygirl
Junior Poster

Blessed MM Survivor

Danville, Illinois
Re: Marathon Walk to Raise Funds for Moyamoya
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 11:34pm

Kim,
WOW!!  What ambition and energy.  I think what you are doing is gerat.  I wish I had the energy, but it has only been 4 months since my surgeries, I still get pretty tired. 

I hope you had a wonderful Birthday.  My Birthday is in April, I left for Stanford on my Birthday this year and had my first surgery 3 days later.  I did not really celebrate so my family threw me a surprize party yesterday.  It was quite a surprize since my birthday was 4 months ago.  Celebrate and have a great week. 

Good luck in the marathon.  Let us know how you do.  I am hoping to organize a marathon in my area to raise funds sometime next year. 

Tracie

First stroke in 1974
Diagnosis in March 2009
Surgeries in April 2009

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 2:27am

Well done Kim. Good luck.

Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 12:11pm

Atta girl Kim! Smiley Go get ‘em girlfriend. I can’t join you physically, but I’ll be with you in spirit, and will help you in this great cause in any way I can. I’ll also sponsor you on your walk, if that's the way it works, just lemme know to who and where to send the check.

Oh, and hope you had a happy birthday!

Mar

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 11:49pm

Thank you all for your good wishes.

Tracie - Happy belated birthday to you! Parties are great no matter how late. Put the marathon event on your calendar for next year. By then you'll be feeling better than ever. It's taken me 18 months to get my energy levels to this point - you just have to give your body the time to recover. I have too many medical bills yet to be paid, so can't afford to help the cause with a cash donation myself, but thanks to Stanford, I have my health and I can walk. I think that if each of us does what we can, even if it's just a small thing, all added together it will have a big positive effect in the efforts being made to beat this lousy disease. It so wrenches my heart every time I read of another soul fighting for his/her life.   

Marc - Thank you, I'm working at it. I'm on a six days on one day off training schedule. I just hope my knees hold out. I've scheduled a few sessions with a personal trainer - those crunches are torture!

Mar - Thank you, thank you, thank you! You'll be my "spirit walker". I like the sound of that; it's both mystical and lovely. I do need sponsors - you will be my very first! I have yet to write and mail out a compelling request for sponsorship letter. In it I'll ask that folks write their check to Stanford University and in the memo line write For Moyamoya Research - Dr. Gary Steinberg, then mail them to me:

Kimberly Tiller
PO Box 1473
Langley, WA 98260

I'll forward all of them to Deborah Stinchfield, the Associate Director of Development at Stanford. She's kindly offered to send each a personal thank you note along with the tax receipt from the university.

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 9:27pm

Mar,
You are an angel! Thank you for your support of my marathon walk for Moyamoya. When I opened your letter and found your check, tears sprang to my eyes. Thank so very, very much.

I'm on a training schedule that finds me in the gym six days a week. Sundays is my day off from the shop so I do my long walks then. Today it was 10 miles - took me about 2 1/2 hours. Each week I get a little faster and every other week I add 1-4 miles to the distance. I walked The Kettles trail in Coupeville, WA. Beautiful views of the Olympic Mts and Puget Sound looking out across the wheat fields on Ebbey's Prairie reserve. I so enjoy being out in the fresh air and the views are an added bonus. I'll be out there rain or shine - luckily so far it's been only shine.

I hope to have the MoyamoyaAwareness.com site up by next week where I'll post a weekly blog with pictures of my walks. I'm scheduled for the Aflac Iron Girl 10K on Sept 12th and the Columbia Gorge Half Marathon in Hood River, Oregon late in October. Those should help me to gain the confidence I need to tackle the 26.2 miles on Nov 29th. I love that this is happening on Thanksgiving weekend. I have so very much to be thankful for. If not for the information and support I found here on this site and the amazing skill and heart of the folks at Stanford I don't believe that I would be capable to doing this event. I very much doubt that I'd be still be alive.

My son and I are having raffle tickets printed this week for a soap making party for ten (we own a soap making business; Whidbey Island Soap Company). The winner chooses either cake & champagne or wine & cheese and each person will be taught to make soap. We're hoping this will bring in more funds yet for Dr. Steinberg's research.

Well, that pretty much sums up the current status of my fund raising efforts. Thank you again for your generous support.
Much love & big hugs,
Kim  Smiley

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 10:20am

You go girl! Just give it your best Kim, but take care of yourself in the process, that’s a lot of walking girl, and don’t forget, at every mile we’ll be right there with you.

You know, I’ve seen the worst of this disease and I’ve seen many blessings with this disease as well, and It constantly keeps tears in my eyes and my heart filled, but especially when I see so many of you with determination and courage after you suffered strokes, brain surgeries and so much more—I could never find the words to describe the admiration, respect and joy I feel when I see that spirit. God love ya’s! I’m so proud to call you all friends.

Keep up the good work, it’s a great cause. Smiley I’ll be following your fund raising efforts and will be there to support you all the way.

Mar

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Akron, USA, usa, 421, 123, OH, Ohio
Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 1:12pm

Add me to your sponser list Kim. Figure I can put an amount per mile completed...so it'll encourage you to go the distance : )

you go girl....(literally)

Hmmm....seems I'm kinda "special" LOL

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 1:00pm

Dear Kim,

I am so impressed with your dedication and determination - what an inspiration you are to others!

Between medical and other bills, I'm unfortunately tapped out for donations for the remainder of 2009, but I will be with you in spirit, cheering you on.

YEAAAAAH, KIM!!!!

Blessings,

Jennifer
Mommy to a 6 y/o with MMD
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 5:36pm

It's done! I walked in the Seattle Marathon yesterday. I didn't finish  Sad, but got to mile 17. I was just too sore, tired and dispirited to continue. I wasn't last, but not far from it. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about walking in a marathon. I'll finish the next one - the Seattle Rock & Roll Marathon on June 26th. Thank you all for your generous donations and moral support.

Anyone want to join me on June 26th? There will be a live band playing at every mile of the course. Should be a lot of fun! OK, the sore muscles afterwards aren't all so much fun  Wink

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 1:38am

Great effort Kim. Chalk off the first attempt to experience and kick butt in the next one. We're all still right behind you. If I lived just slightly closer I'd do one with you.

Very, very well done; 17 miles is a long way.

Stay strong
Mark (Luca's Dad)
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2009 at 1:40am by Little Luca »  

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 7:28pm

Thanks, Mark. If you join one of the Teams In Training groups and raise a certain amount of money for the cause (usually stroke, heart, cancer, ...) they'll pay your way; free airline tickets, free hotel, free event entry. So you might be able to do it, if you can find the free time. I think the time is the most difficult to find. I'd love to walk with you.
P.S. Love the new picture of Luca. My, she's growing so quickly!
Kim

IP Logged

Michele
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Yankton, USA, SD, South_Dakota
Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 8:56pm

Oh my, Congratulations on this WONDERFUL accomplishment!  I won't even pretend that I could walk 17miles, but I am greatful that someone can and thank you for doing this for everyone with MM.
God Bless You and keep you well!
Michele

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge