Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yesterday was 8 yrs since my daughter's first stro (Read 5083 times)
mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Yesterday was 8 yrs since my daughter's first stro
Jan 19th, 2010 at 1:26pm

Yesterday was 8 yrs since my daughter's first stroke. Even after 8 yrs the memory has never faded. This day was the start of the most difficult journey our family has experienced. Kathleen was only 5 yrs old at the time so hearing that she had a stroke was just so inconcievable. I had no idea that children had strokes. She was diagnosed the next day with moyamoya. Durring the next few months she suffered 4 more strokes and underwent 2 neurosurgeries. I have never felt so helpless as I watched the most devestating stroke take away small pieces of my little girl. Her laugh, her great big smile which was reduced to half a smile, her left arm and leg, and finally her voice. We had no idea if she would see the next day and if she did would she ever walk ,talk ,or even breath on her own. My little girl surprised everyone with her determination and positive outlook. She worked very hard to regain all that she lost. She brings out the best in everyone she meets. Most of all she has made me a better mom and a better person. Our family has gained a strength that we never would have found without her.She has taught us all how to live life with a positive attitue and to never give up. "I can't" just isn't in her vocabulary. This has always been her attitude, she was no stranger to therapies and ahrd work since she was also born with Down syndrome. She has alway had to work a little harder to do all the things we take for granted. Her smile, laughter and voice have retured. She now walks with the help of a brace and a definate limp, but still has no use of her left arm, but we will never give up. We hope that one day she will use her left hand again. She is the queen compensation and does a whole lot with just one hand. What has faded a bit over the past 8 yrs. is the daily fear of another stroke. Moyamoya is incurable so as you all know she will be at risk for stroke for the rest of her life. But this is not our daily focus. We are thankful that she is here with us and has not had another stroke in 8 yrs. We enjoy so many of the little things in life we celebrate so many accomplishments that may seem very small to others.To us everyday is a celebration of life and good helath. If you made it this far thank you...... I just wanted to share my HERO with all of you...... and thank you for being here for support.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Re: Yesterday was 8 yrs since my daughter's first stro
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 6:53pm

Mary Grace~

Thank you for your words of hope and wisdom.

I honor the work, intelligence, diligence, fear and love that you convey.

Kathleen sounds love a wonderful person.
Hearing about her brightened my day, month, and life.
Thank you for sharing her 'anniversary' with us.

Linda

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

gazou
New Poster

9 year old boy with moyamoya!

Golden, Canada
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 6:59pm

Dear Mary Grace,
Congratulations on this new milestone for you and your daughter and many thanks for all the support you provide on a regular basis. I hope you know what a difference you make in people's lifes. It takes a lot of dedication for replying to the many requests for help and advice on this site and you and a few others are always there to offer assistance so THANK YOU !!
My son has been stroke free for 3 years and he is also my hero!
All the best to you, Kathleen & family.
Gazou

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:05am

Inspirational......

Kathleens inspiration extends well beyond the boundaries of your family and friends. I wonder if she realises that her story gives hope to people all over the world.

Mary Grace, you deserve very special praise too. Not only for the tireless effort you've put into your own daughter rehabilitation, but for the words of ecouragement and wisdom you've passed on to many fortunate enough to have found this website.

Well done ladies, here's to many, many more years of happyness

Mark (Luca's Dad)
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:06am by Little Luca »  

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Danielle
Junior Poster

3 year old daughter with
Moyamoya disease

Michigan
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:42pm

Wow amazing story. Kathleen sounds like a great role model for anyone on this journey. I hope I can teach my daughter to have the same spirit and outlook. Mary Grace you are a real inspiration to mothers everywhere. Your daughter had a great teacher. You!!!

Positive thinking is key!

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 2:08pm

Thank you for your kind words. Kathleen makes all of this so easy. She works harder than anyone I know. I know you all have dealt with challenges and stormy days with as much courage as we have. It's great to be able to share our lives with others who really do "know what your going through" Thanks again.....I appreciate all this website allows us to do for others.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge