Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie to the list, Y'all. HOWDY! (Read 2942 times)
MEL-LO
New Poster

Thank You LORD for my
sense of humor!

Texas
Newbie to the list, Y'all. HOWDY!
Feb 28th, 2010 at 1:04pm

Hello, Everyone!  I hope this finds y'all well.   Smiley  I thought I'd make my intros. For some reason I woke up this morning and thought, "Hey, I wonder if there is a chat room for this thing?"  ...and guess what...    Cheesy
Talk about a late-comer... I was diagnosed with Moya Moya in December 1992.  You want to talk about NO INFO!  Back then there was REALLY no info.  I was in Parkland Hospital in Dallas (where they took Kennedy) for a month. I had so many tests done I was starting to feel like Frankenstein's monster.  I was poked and prodded just about everywhere.   Undecided  Each time I'd ask the Dr's for info on this disease and ask how they arrived to their conclusions, I'd get the same response (just worded differently)... "It's very rare."  At the time, I'd convinced myself that to have a stroke at my age (I was 29), they had no earthly clue what I had and found the rarest condition out there and said, "That's what she has."  About 6 months later I received a large yellow envelope in the mail from Parkland.  In it was a JAMA article about the disease.  With it was a note..."Sorry it took so long.  This is what we have."  Needless to say, my earlier thoughts were reinforced and I tried to fight it tooth and nail.   Angry
I had a doozy of an "episode" May 2009 but that will be for another time.  I've been living with this thing for 19 years (counting the date of my 1st stroke not my diagnosis).  My story is long...duh.  So, I'll take it easy on y'all.   Roll Eyes  I'm glad I FINALLY had the smarts to seek this out.  Now. I don't feel as lonely as before.  THANK YOU in advance.

IP Logged

Mayhem
MM.com Sponsor

diagnosed 1996

Rochester, USA, NY, New_York
Re: Newbie to the list, Y'all. HOWDY!
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 1:54pm

Welcome, and I was diagnosed in 1996, while my brother was diagnosed in 1992. Back then Internet searches for Moya Moya would only return Carlos Moya, the Spanish tennis player. I was in academia so had access to internet, even though it wasn't widely used.

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Re: Newbie to the list, Y'all. HOWDY!
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 1:36am

Welcome Mel-lo

I'd imagine you're quite fortunate to have had a neurologist back then who actually recognised the disease.

You'll find out plenty about it here. Most topics have been raised and discussed.

Good luck and take care

Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge