Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surgeons in Australia with Moyamoya experience (Read 3954 times)
Sally S
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Surgeons in Australia with Moyamoya experience
Sep 9th, 2010 at 6:50am

My son has just been diagnosed with Moyamoya and I'm in a country with a very small pool of patients.  Does anyone know of surgeons in my country with experience in this or should I be looking internationally?

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Re: Surgeons in Australia with Moyamoya experience
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 9:39am

Hey Sally

We were faced with a fairly similar situation being in South Africa. Lucky for you there have been a couple of Australians on here and the doctors name that keeps coming up is Prof. Stoodley in Sydney.

One is 'Briellesmum'. Here is a link to her profile, unfortunately there's no email address attached and she hasn't logged on for awhile:

http://www.moyamoya.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=724259555C5C55435D455D300

The other one I remember is 21widmoya. Her email address is sxc_chik182006@hotmail.com and here's the link to her profile:

http://www.moyamoya.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=4348501111290

We weren't satisfied with the experience of any surgeons in South Africa and had Luca's surgery in the UK. If you do start looking internationally, drop me an email and I can maybe give you some pointers.

Best of luck. You'll get great support here if needed.

Stay strong
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

dmm
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 4:17am

Hi, I live in Australia (Victoria) and my 18 y.o. daughter was diagnosed with Unilateral Moyamoya this year. She had STA-MCA bypass done last June. Think there might be more Moyamoya patients in Australia than we think. Send me a personal message with any questions. Would be happy to help, if I can.

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Diagnosed Oct 2005. Direct
bypasses: Nov 05 Apr

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 5:29am

hi there, i'm 28 and was diagnosed with moyamoya 5 years ago. i had two direct bypasses in melbourne in 2005 and 2006.
my surgeon was mr laidlaw (through the royal melbourne hospital) he is excellent!
there are NO surgeons (or medical professionals at all) in queensland with any moyamoya experience. i know there is one in sydney but i can't remember the name. there is mr laidlaw in melbourne and also prof. stevens (experienced but not with direct bypasses). there is also a surgeon in perth i think.
there are a few people in australia with moyamoya but not very many, i'm fairly certain it's between 5 and 10.
i am more than happy to answer any questions/provide contact details etc.. i don't check this board very often but i'll look for replies to this topic or you can send me an email.
keep in touch!
emily

WWW rubygrapefruit https://www.facebook.com/emily.pip  
IP Logged

dmm
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 6:30am

Have to agree with Emily. My daughter Emily had Mr Laidlaw as her neurosurgeon last year at The Royal Melbourne Hospital. He was great.

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:29pm

Hi Sally, Welcome to our MM family.

I’ve heard wonderful things about the MM experience of Prof Marcus Stoodley, Sydney Australia.
Here is the link to the thread under
Surgeons with Bypass Experience
where Prof. Stoodley is recommended.
http://www.moyamoya.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181213093

Experience with this rare disease is very important, so it’s good that you’re researching MM experienced neurosurgeons.  There is an enormous amount of info about MMD here on the website under links. My advice is always to learn all you can. Knowledge is power.

Keeping your son in my thoughts and prayers.

Mar

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge