Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
who is the oldest living person with Moyamoya? (Read 64466 times)
b1uesmiley
New Poster

It is the LIFE in your
years that count

Canada
who is the oldest living person with Moyamoya?
Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:20pm

Based on all the research. It has been stated that it is rare to live past your fourties having Moyamoya or Moyamoya symptom like conditions. I am 31 years old, and I don't wish to believe that I have less then 10 years.  Cry

Is this true???

Can anyone with Moyamoya share their age?

IP Logged

jklunning
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: who is the oldest living person with Moyamoya?
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 8:41pm

jklunning... I am 52 and have not yet had any surgeries. I have had 2 strokes since I was 45. Physicaly I am fine, but it affected some lose of vision. But I cam leagaly drive, so thats a +.

IP Logged

Skay5709
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:28pm

I was diagnosed with mm at the age of 52. Had indirect bypass one year later. I am now 58 and feeling fine. Don't dwell on what could happen. Live your life to the fullest and be thankfull. Live one day at a time

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:49am

Sorry - in all my research - I've never read anywhere where they state a life-expectancy for patients with Moyamoya.  Curious as to where you read that....

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Judy O
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 4:54pm

I'm not sure where you read that either.  I'm also 31 (and had my surgeries at 29), and would prefer not to think about how long I have left, but instead how I am spending it.  Besides, Dr. Scott has operated on people who have lived for decades.  I can't imagine your info could be accurate...

IP Logged

Mayhem
MM.com Sponsor

diagnosed 1996

Rochester, USA, NY, New_York
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 5:44pm

I was diagnosed at age 32, surgeries at 36 and 37, now 46. My brother had his surgeries at 44, and he died at 54.

IP Logged

Larry
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Austintown,Oh
Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 6:27pm

I will be 57 on Nov.11 this year. Was diagnosed in March and had surgery on my right side 0n June 17th. I saw Dr. Rasmussen at the clinic yesterday after having MRI/MRA/MRP. Scan results were not viewable at my appt. He has tenatively scheduled my left side surgery for Nov. 4th.

Lawrence Roth  
IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 6:42pm

I also have never read or heard of a stated life expectancy for moyamoya patients.  What I have heard is that treatment (surgery) puts patients on an even playing field with non-moyamoya patients.  In other words, once treated, the risk for stroke is the same as for anyone else.  Other things contribute to risk factors (weight, smoking, etc.), but the chance of stroke from moyamoya is minimized following treatment.

That said, I know a whole bunch of moyamoya patients, who have had surgery(ies), are well past their 40's (some into their 70's), and are very alive and doing well.  I, too, am curious where you read this.  Could what you read possibly have been referring to untreated moyamoya?  Given the progressive nature of MMD, that would make more sense to me, although no one knows what the rate of progression from patient to patient will be.  The variance can be huge.

Would like to hear more discussion!

Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

luckyone2335
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 8:01pm

My husband is now 41 he was dianosed with moya moya when he was 3 yrs old. He has never had any surgery or taken meds for it. all he has ever done was taking 1 asperin a day everyday his whole life. He has been told his whole life he will not live past 18 then it was 21 then 30 and so on and he is still here tell this day. He had a strok when he was 3 yrs old that is how he was dianosed with this.

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 6:43am

luckyone2335 wrote on Jan 7th, 2011 at 8:01pm:
My husband is now 41 he was dianosed with moya moya when he was 3 yrs old. He has never had any surgery or taken meds for it. all he has ever done was taking 1 asperin a day everyday his whole life. He has been told his whole life he will not live past 18 then it was 21 then 30 and so on and he is still here tell this day. He had a strok when he was 3 yrs old that is how he was dianosed with this.

Hey luckyone2335

I think that's amazing! More than a little hope and inspiration in your husbands story for me. Has no one suggested surgery or has he just opted not to have it?

Take care
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:42am

luckyone2335 wrote on Jan 7th, 2011 at 8:01pm:

While I agree this is quite amazing, I believe this is a rare exception!  We all know this is a progressive disease - it doesn't get any better with time.  I'll restate the question - has no one ever suggested surgery?  In my opinion, this is a risky approach to take, as 38 years ago (41 yo, diagnosed at 3) was a long time ago!  Look at the advances they've made in medicine!  If it this were me, or my husband or any other loved one, I would look in to meeting with a neuro who is familiar with MMD.

-Shari
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:44am by STrantas »  

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 10:29pm

Question?
Where did LuckyOne have his surgery 38 years ago?

I had my surgery in 2000 at age 50.

Interesting topic

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 9:24am

LA wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 10:29pm:
Where did LuckyOne have his surgery 38 years ago?

He hasn't had surgery yet...

IP Logged

b1uesmiley
New Poster

It is the LIFE in your
years that count

Canada
Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 5:44am

Thank you for all your replies to my inquiry. My apologies for the delayed reply. Let me further explain...

My research indeed refers to a MM patient who has been diagnosed and has not yet had treatment (surgery).

While it is obviously preferable to have surgery done to prolong/even prevent MM in offsetting any strokes; my research suggests that the chances are higher in having a stroke the longer MM goes untreated (surgery).

In my case. I had an EC/IC bypass surgery done (August 2010) but the surgery was unsuccessful. I have now been trying to recover from the surgery, but it has proven to be quite slow. I've had quite a bit of set backs with my recovery. This puts me right back where I began; my MMD still untreated. My stroke symptoms have been slowly progressing.

I understand surgery is favorable when done before a stroke and least favorable after having a stroke.  So this is where my concern lies, given the progressive nature of MMD; Prompting my question:

What is the oldest someone has lived stroke-free with their MMD untreated (without any brain surgery done)?   

Any replies would be greatly appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged

whitewell
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 12:33pm

Hi - small contribution from UK (it happens over here, too!
As I understand things, MM can show itself  in varying degrees of severity.  I'm told I have Moya-Moya syndrome, which I guess is similar but different. I had some syptoms from my teens, bad migraines in my twenties, visual and speech disturbances thereafter, and blacked out/fitted a couple of times in my fifties, before the problem was diagnosed.  I suppose it was a long time developing, and a replacement blood supply had time to establish itself, so, with the late diagnosis, surgery was never even considered.
I feel pretty stable now (occasional dizzy days), and not much less fit than many people my age (61 so far).  Headaches have pretty much disappeared, so I guess the clever old body is coping fairly well.
Anyway, I wouldn't give up yet!  Best of luck

Andy

IP Logged

SandL
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #15 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 6:10pm

I am 43 and was diagnosed with Moyamoya this year in January.  I have bilateral surgeries and my doctor says I am doing great. Grin

IP Logged

MMhusband
New Poster

Wife had surgery 1986.
She is marvelous!

Philadelphia, USA, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 8:29pm

AFTER Surgery in 1986, my wife continues to live a life full of gardening housekeeping and volunteer work at the age of 55. BEFORE Surgery, she was in a downward spiral of health due to strokes that took 50% of her vision, a loss of her speech and reading, and hemi-paresis(sp?) all of which remain to this day. I agree with Skay5709, live a full life. Look for more opinions on surgery, I'm glad we did. Good Luck!

Wife had surgery 1986. She is marvelous!

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Diagnosed Oct 2005. Direct
bypasses: Nov 05 Apr

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 8:14am

This is a bit of a tricky one, as has been previously mentioned, people have very varying degrees of the condition/disease.
Some people would not live without surgery (ie. if both of their carotid arteries were completely occluded), however some people clearly would and have. You can have the Moyamoya appearance/behaviour of the blood vessels to a degree where they become narrower and small collaterals grow however the vessels don't completely close off, and often using aspirin is enough to keep the blood flowing through. I haven't heard of many of these cases but some people here seem to fall into this category. You would still want to keep an eye on the progress regularly and be on the alert for any TIA symptoms.
It is hard to say at what rate someone's condition would progress, I have found that most doctors will err on the side of caution with MM because there just aren't enough statistics or consistency across the board with the varying cases for them to know/predict what could happen.

I have never come across anything to do with life expectancies, especially particular ages such as "40's"... It also depends upon when someone contracts the disease, which as far as I know, no one can say for sure. The time between my first symptoms and me being fairly incapacitated was only 2 months.. Whereas for many people they don't even reach that stage. (I had several strokes before my surgeries and I have never heard that it's unfavourable to have surgery after a stroke. I guess obviously once you've had a stroke then the risks of a repeat are higher, but in my case not having the surgery was not an option.)
It also is not possible to say whether I had MM for years and then it rapidly progressed or if it just popped up out of the blue at age 23.

Are you on any medication and have you been diagnosed through a cerebral angiogram? Do you know the % or amount of narrowing of your internal carotid arteries (ICA)?

WWW rubygrapefruit https://www.facebook.com/emily.pip  
IP Logged

Nanstev
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 1:23pm

I am turning 40 in may. got diagnosed last november. Came back from professors today. No surgery just yet, because the blood flow is still going reasonably. Due to that, ther are not enough MMvessels that flood the right part of my brain, which is needed to get through the surgery safe and sound. So am just taking bloodthinners and keppra for epileptic seizures. Will have MRI's every other 6 months to check if things are stble.

I guess there is no certain age, just living every day to it's fullest while we still can. But that is what EVERYONE should do. Not just us MMpatients Wink

Good luck everyone!

IP Logged

iamcynthia
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #19 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 11:46pm

I am 27  :-?

IP Logged

Nanstev
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #20 - May 3rd, 2012 at 12:57pm

No matter what age you get diagnosed, it's always a hard thing to hear and accept that it's just the way it is.  I have my ups and downs. And like stated earlier, there is no guarantees of any kind. LIVE!

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #21 - May 3rd, 2012 at 6:06pm

Nanstev wrote on May 3rd, 2012 at 12:57pm:
No matter what age you get diagnosed, it's always a hard thing to hear and accept that it's just the way it is.  I have my ups and downs. And like stated earlier, there is no guarantees of any kind. LIVE!

Just wanted to "LIKE" this post! Smiley

IP Logged

Nanstev
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #22 - May 6th, 2012 at 1:53pm

Thanks Emily Wink

IP Logged

silverfoxclark
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Lake Oswego OR
Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 5:01pm

I was diagnosed with MMD June 2011 at the age of 64.   My first surgery was on July 26, 2011.  The evening after the surgery I had a mild stroke.  On Sept 1, 2011 I had my second surgery.  Both was an EDAMS procedure as my blood vessels are too tiny. I will be 67 this coming Nov. 2013.  I say I've come a long way and will live my life to the full as any person would.  with or without MMD. Smiley silverfoxclark

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 10:43pm

Go you!!

I wonder when it developed... hmm that's probably the only unknown that i'm really curious about (in general) not why or how but when...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge