Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
headaches and personality/behavior changes? (Read 5297 times)
eirelynsmom
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

New Port Richey, Fl
headaches and personality/behavior changes?
Nov 28th, 2011 at 10:06pm

My husband Matt had ECIC bypass in August...then had to have craniectomy in october due to infection that went into his skull.  We were told the headaches were probably due to the infection but it is almost December and his headaches are debilitating.  His bypass failed...so maybe that is the reason?  We have contacted Dr. Steinberg and they are reviewing his case...but I was wondering if any of you or your loved ones have experienced the same thing and if so, what have the doctors done to help? Any information would be great. 
Also,Matt has always been a laid back, easy going, love to laugh kind of guy.  Since all the strokes and surgery this summer his personality has drastically changed and his behavior/emotions are all over the place.  He goes from zero to ten in no time flat and gets angry over the smallest thing.  Being the father to 4 kids ages 13 to one makes this even more challenging. Anyone else experienced such and what are you doing to cope?

One desperate wife...
Shari

IP Logged

kelly
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: headaches and personality/behavior changes?
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 10:34pm

Shari
I am so sorry to hear about your husband's struggles.  I was diagnosed with Moyamoya in Sept but am also a nuerosurgical ICU nurse. Sometimes the stroke itself can cause the personality changes that you are describing in your husband as well as the infection. I will be praying for you and your family as you wait for Stanford's recommendation. I had my surgery done there and they are wonderful.

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 7:55am

Shari and Matt,
Welcome to the family. I am sorry you have to be here but I am so happy you found us. I have used this site for alot of support over the years.

What Matt is experencing is not ouside of the normal after haveing a stroke. My husband said he saw a shift in my personality too. I am extreemly quick to anger expessaly when I a tiered. He discribes it as Sleepy induced terrets because I loose my words and start name calling him a f-word and other nasty things. My husband now understands that it may be related to a break down in my brain power since it only happens when I am tiered now. He watches for the sleepyness triggers and dicsusses the argument when I am rested. Becides that My husband has said I am more emotional then before too, but over time he has seen the ballance come back. I was very symilar to how you have discribed Matt. It will get better. We don't have childern so I don't know how that effects things. Best solution is time and patience.

I am very happy to hear you have contacted Dr.Steinberg for more help. I hope you and Matt get the help you need so Matt can start to get the emotiola ballance back in check. I will pray for you, Matt, and your family.
Stay Strong and supportive,
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 5:41pm

Shari, I have tried to read up on this very subject.  while my daughters changes have been drastic, I have seen them.  she seems quicker to anger, moodier, has not been as social, etc.  It's hard to know what is from the surgery and what is emotional.  she had her surgery 3 years ago this month and this is a really hard time for her.  she still has headaches and never had a stroke so for her the surgery didn't really change much.  Of course it prevented a stroke but she is dealing with it from a different angle.
did you see Dr. VanLoveren at TGH?  We have an appointment with him this month.
The offer still stands if you need to talk...I can send you my phone number via email.

Hang in there,
Donna

Destin's mom

IP Logged

eirelynsmom
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

New Port Richey, Fl
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 5:31am

Thank you guys for your love, your prayers,and your support. Yes Donna we did see Dr.VanLoveren.  He is wonderful as well. Lol...when you go, tell him you know matt and shari yarber... Smiley He answers all my questions and is very proactive for Matt. He is not the one who did Matt's original surgery, but he is the one who got Matt in when I knew the infection was still there and yet couldn't get anyone to pay attention to us.  I would love to talk to you. My number is 727-389-9558. Call me when you can

Shari

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge