Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moyamoya surgery and personality changes (Read 9822 times)
hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Moyamoya surgery and personality changes
Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:04am

I keep seeing lots of questions about this subject.  Here and on other moyamoya groups on facebook.  I have searched the web and can't find much on the subject.  Most are asking about anger issues after surgery.  Some talk about apathy.  What I have been able to figure out is that MM surgery and or strokes can cause traumatic brain injusry...just like falling and hitting your head.  The right frontal lobe especially controls emotions and impulse control.  It is safe to assume that the surgery and strokes can and do cause changes in people with Moyamoya.  I jsut wish I could find someone who has done a study on this.  Is the damage/change permanent or will it heal over time?  Would love it if Dr. Steinberg could find a psychiatrist to work with him on this.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Re: Moyamoya surgery and personality changes
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:46pm

There has been several articles and research dating back to the 1800s talking about the effects of brain damage and personality shifts. When I was in psychology there was a article about a happy go lucky guy that was working on the rail road when a rail road spike was lodged in his head. After they removed it he was the meanest person you have ever met. They used lobotomy to correct skitzofrenincs and depression. Also in that same psychology class we read an article on a girl who had a brain tumor and it was removed and she went from a destructive child to a happy friendly child. I wish I still had that book or knew where to find those article.

Brain damage is permanent but the coolest thing about our brains is we can create new connections or existing connections can pick up the transmissions. For example: my stroke took out a large chunk of my language center, I was able to talk right away but I misplaced words allot, now it has been 8 years post surgery and I am still getting better everyday. Now I am trying to relearn Spanish so I can pass the placement test in collage.

I think there is hope that we can retrain out minds like the rail road guy. He went from angry-violent to calm and nice with a few years of retraining himself on proper behavior. He was still quick to get angry but he was able to recognize it and alter the outcome.

I have not seen one on MoyaMoya or other brain disorders that cause a lack of oxygen to the brain and how that effects the personality. I would be intrested in reading that too.

I hope this helps,
Becky
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:47pm by Becky »  

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

iamcynthia
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 11:48pm

wow, my aunt was talking about this saying people with moyamoya have anger issues. I wanted to hit her. haha I always had this attitude.

IP Logged

Nanstev
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2012 at 3:17am

I personally thinks it doesn't have anything to do with MM itself, but it's a side-effect from having strokes. Look it up.

I can have these episodes where I get angry too. Once I had a blouse that kept falling from the ironing board. When i was fed up I took it from the ground and smashed it upon the ironing board. then I thought....WTF am I doing?! And I keep having that happening. When things don't go my way fast enough, I get angry....

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2012 at 7:41am

I agree.  I don't think it's the moyamoya but rather the strokes and/or surgery.  Having brain surgery is a trauma to the brain so it stands to reason that you could have some issues afterwards.  Our doctor told us some would get better but some might not...you just can't predict how the brain will heal.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2012 at 10:17pm

OK, well, I don't have MM (my son does) but, NanStev, I have those moments too! LOL!!!
Hey the book about the RR guy is called "Phineas Gage, A Gruesome, but True Story About Brain Science" by John Fleischman - a truly amazing story. And, yes, just like any other thing the brain controls, the personality can suffer from the damage, too.  But it, too, can be rehabilitated.  We are incredibly and wonderfully made and other areas of the brain can be trained to take over lost functions.  Yes, it takes work and time, but ain't it worth it to get yourself back? Cheesy

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

dinferois
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 5:16am

I am trying to relearn Spanish so I can pass the placement test in collage.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge