Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vision Problems even after surgery? (Read 5379 times)
sandytoes
New Poster

Mom of teenage daughter
with MM

Northern WI
Vision Problems even after surgery?
May 24th, 2013 at 3:27pm

I am a new poster looking to see if anyone else has the same issue as my daughter.  She is 14 and was diagnosed with MM early last year.  Symptoms prior to diagnosis were headaches and bilateral vision loss that would return to normal after a few seconds.  The vision episodes were happening 1-2 times a day prior to surgery.  She had direct bypass surgery on her right side in June of 2012.  Since then the vision episodes have gotten better but are not completely gone as they had hoped.  She will have one in a day and then might not have one again for 1-1/2 weeks but then will have sometimes 5-7/day or 2-3 for a couple of days in a row.  Has anyone else had a similar experience that could offer some insight?  They seem to be puzzled by the fact that the vision loss is in both eyes at the same time.  We are frustrated... Undecided

IP Logged

hrsridermom
Senior Poster

mother of 19 yr old daughter
with MMD

Tampa, USA, FL, Florida
Re: Vision Problems even after surgery?
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2013 at 8:18am

my daughter didn't have vision problems but she does have some other issues before and after surgery.  She gets migraines and now she will get tingling in her hands and a tiny droop on the left side of her mouth.  After many tests the doctors thisnk it may not be moyamoya related...they just can't be sure.  If you haven't had her eyes checked I would.  It's possible that there is something going on not related to MM. It is frustrating though when we can't know what's going on.

Destin's mom

IP Logged

sandytoes
New Poster

Mom of teenage daughter
with MM

Northern WI
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2013 at 10:33pm

Thanks for your insight.  We have had her to a neuro opthamalogist but unfortunately he was not familiar with moyamoya or the type of surgery she had so he could not offer much with regards to that.  He was able to tell us that there is nothing structurally wrong with her eyes - in other words no explaination for the episodes from an eye standpoint.  The only thing he could offer was a generic thought that based on his knowledge of vascular disorders in general he could possibly see how it could be related to her MM.  We are waiting to hear from her neurologist.  I just worry about her daily....does that ever get easier?

IP Logged

sandytoes
New Poster

Mom of teenage daughter
with MM

Northern WI
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 11:50am

My daughters transient bilateral vision loss has changed a bit and wondering if anyone that is new to this site has had any of these issues.  She now gets tingling in her fingers during the vision loss episodes.  Local neurologist has looked at everything and strongly feels it is either directly or indirectly related to the blood flow from moyamoya.  He is looking to put her on Verapamil in addition to the 81mg of baby aspirin she takes.  Anyone else have experience with these types of symptoms?

IP Logged

Sue B
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Mallorytown, Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 3:10pm

I to lose vision in both eyes at the same time. I don't think my doctor really believed me when I told him "that I go blind and can't see at all" this only last for very short periods but I can count on my vision being a problem all day when it happens.
I will be passing this on to him on my next visit. Thank you Sue B.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2014 at 3:11pm by Sue B »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge