Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I have moyamoya or not? (Read 3971 times)
askham
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Denmark
Do I have moyamoya or not?
Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:56pm

Hi all. I have been reading a couple of pages of this forum but have not found anyone with the same story as mine. So my question is: do I have moyamoya!

I have the diagnosis, but I myself am in doubt. I had a stroke 7 years ago which partly paralysed my right side. I have recovered almost 100%, just some very minor weaknesses in my right arm and hand.

When I got the diagnosis I was told that surgery was certain, but since then they changed their mind, and say that my condition is stable, and I will probably not need surgery. I see a neurologist annually and also get a CT scan and ultrasound annually.

My thinking is that it might be something else, as almost everybody I hear about, the disease is progressive. If mine has been stable for 5-7years without surgery can it still be moyamoya? I haven't had any symptoms since the stroke 7years ago.

Any thoughts appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged

azhurds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Do I have moyamoya or not?
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 12:36pm

Moya-Moya is different for everyone and in some people it can be more progressive than others.  I don't have Moya-Moya but my daughter does.  She had just turned 2 when she had 2 strokes and was diagnosed and that was 4 years ago. She has been monitored through MRI's and still takes aspirin.  For her the Moya-Moya has progressed but in a small amount but it is not a significant change.  She has not had the surgery for a few reasons.  One that she is doing so well and the right know the aspirin is working. 

Have you ever thought about getting a second opinion. You can either use another doctor in the area where you live.  I also know that Dr. Steinberg at Stanford is one of the leading doctor's in Moya-Moya and will review patients files. 

IP Logged

Amit
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 7:03am

you can send your MRI reports to Dr. Smith at Children's hopsital or Dr. Gary Steinberg , at Stanford hospital.  and have them look at your MRI  (latest) .. they should be able to confirm if it is moyamoya or not..

Good luck..

IP Logged

Dennis
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 1:59pm

It would be interesting to know how old you are.

But if you have NOT had ANY symptoms whatsoever for seven years than chances that you have Moyamoya are almost minimal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge