Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moyamoya, salt, and strokes (Read 2422 times)
OneStoneTwoBirds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Moyamoya, salt, and strokes
Oct 6th, 2013 at 4:51pm

My husband passed away yesterday, exactly four weeks after undergoing EDAS surgery on his right side.  He had bilateral moyamoya and had previously been in a dose-dense trial for bladder cancer involving high doses of cisplatin, but he did well in the surgery and had been healing well and feeling good.

He had a stroke on Sept. 22 that quickly turned into seizures.  He was allowed to seize for thirty-six hours (status epilepticus) at our local hospital before I had him transferred to the excellent hospital in NYC where his surgery was done.  For a week and a half, they tried to quiet his brain through sedation and three anti-seizure meds.  They got his brain quiet enough to take him off sediation, but the minute they started to withdraw the first anti-seizure drug, he went into seizures.  Finally he started having seizures on both sides, and an MRI revealed that his brain was revasuclarizing well, but his brain was like a firestorm, with many, many small strokes happening.  There was no coming out of this.

We put him on comfort care only withdrew ventilation yesterday and he passed away 20 minutes later.

My husband was a very stubborn man.  He was supposed to keep hydrated both for the cancer and the moyamoya, but he did not like to drink water and convinced himself that drinking a quart and a half of fruit juice was hydrating.  In the week before his stroke, he developed cravings for tomato juice, and went through a 64-ounce bottle of the stuff every day and a half.  And now I'm wondering if ingesting over 4000 mg of salt every day in this damn juice helped tip his healing brain over the edge.

Does anyone know of a connection between inadequate hydration combined with two much sodium, and moyamoya strokes?  Maybe it will make me ache a little bit less if I can at least be angry with him.

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Re: Moyamoya, salt, and strokes
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:31am

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope your heart heals and your memories of your husband comfort you. My daughter was 5 when she had her surgeries. She had severe complications of seizures and strokes a few days after surgery. A large life altering stroke that left her paralyzed on the left and many small strokes on the other side. We felt very close to losing her and are thankful everyday she ahs survived. We feel very lucky especially after reading your story. I can't answer your question but just offer healing prayers. My daughter is 16 now she has Down syndrome and disabilities from the strokes. I work hard at trying to keep her hydrated with water and watered down Gatorade. I can't get my husband to understand that soda does NOT hydrate in fact does the opposite. So I can understand the frustration.I hope someone can answer your question.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge