Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Current Research - Treatment? (Read 3553 times)
lostinkansas
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Current Research - Treatment?
Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:37pm

I just met today with my neurologist with results of my last ct angiogram, my right middle cerebral artery is completely blocked, the left one has stenosis but still open.  But the right one has a moyamoya growth patttern of veins supplying blood around the blockage. 

Won't go into the loooong history but suffice to say seeing neur since 2011 for m.s. like symptoms but not ms.  He gave up on finding cause a year ago.  I had stroke, and had mri, then mra, then ct angiogram confirming this blockage.  He says the bypasses don't work and there's nothing they can do.  But he did say to go to a clinic. 

I haven't read through your site yet, but is Mayo an all right place to start?  The neuro thinks it is moyamoya, but i don't know if he is right, the distal end of the caratid is not blocked, isn't that supposed to be part of the diagnosis? 

Thanks for any advice about a clinic.  Is it a waste of my time to go to Mayo?

IP Logged

OneStoneTwoBirds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Current Research - Treatment?
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 9:50am

How can your neuro say the bypasses don't work if he doesn't do them?  They are not a cure, but when they work they do provide revascularization to REDUCE risk of stroke.  Sounds to me like you need a new neuro. 

My husband was seen and treated at NY Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell, but I think Dr. Steinberg at Stanford is THE moyamoya guy in the country, and I think he does remote consults.  I'd say get your MRI, MRA, and angiogram results and send them to him asking what he thinks.  Then if it is moyamoya you can decide where to be treated.

IP Logged

lostinkansas
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Current Research - Treatment?
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 11:04pm

Thanks VERY much for the advice.  I e-mailed Dr. Steinberg's office and they got back with me immediately.  I'll be getting my images to him asap.  And as to my neuro, yes, that was the last time I will see him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge