Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help re bilateral MMD (Read 4863 times)
MMDinKorea
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Need help re bilateral MMD
Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:42pm

I was diagnosed with MMD (bilateral) and had direct (EC-IC) bypass surgery on the left-side in August of this year. I am worried about the other side.

I have never had any "symptoms" on the other side. The surgeons here generally suggest monitoring the other side for symptoms and then decide whether to undergo surgery.

I know that MMD is a progressive disease. I read that people with MMS often develop MM vessels after they receive surgery on one side.

I'm currently residing in Korea and don't know what the process is like in other countries. Can someone inform me? Also, does anyone know of bilateral MMD patients who only need surgery on one side? Or will the other side progress further (resulting in TIAs and strokes) as I get older?   

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:43pm by MMDinKorea »  

IP Logged

Heath
New Poster

slate

Richardson, Texas
Re: Need help re bilateral MMD
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:53pm

i'm unsure about adult onset moyamoya, but with bilateral in children, there appears to be much support for surgery on both sides

can you contact one of the respected clinics in Japan or the U.S. and seek second, third opinions?

good luck!

'we are all born with a hint of madness--we mustn't lose it'--robin williams

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:36pm

this is good advice from Heath.  Better to find out now if you can, than w/ a stroke later.
Best wishes...keep us posted on your progress!

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

lostinkansas
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 9:30pm

I am in the same situation.  The neurosurgeon explained that even though the stenosis has started on the other side they can not do a bypass until there is actual blockage.  In my case I have the 6th month follow up after surgery, and then will be checked once a year to watch the progression of my left side.  You will get warning signs, hopefully, before a major stroke.  If you get tingling and numbness I should think that will be a sign; unfortunately that also means t.i.a's will be occuring in all likelihood.  But I had those for 3 years before I had a stroke so I suspect that means you'll have plenty of time, just don't ignore the signs.  I hope that helps.

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 9:43pm

Yeah, don't ignore the signs.  make sure your family, close friends, co-workers, etc also know the signs.  My son was too young to know & tell us anything (we didn't know either), but I remember him complaining about the sun hurting his eyes. other than the couple of migraines a few months before, we had no other cues that he was about to have a stroke.

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

mc823923
Junior Poster

My dauaghter Annamarie
lives with mm

Baton Rouge, USA, usa, 345, 271, LA, Louisiana
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:11pm

My daughter had her first surgery with Dr Steinberg in April of 2008.  At that time we were told she was only 50% blocked on the left side and we did CT Angio's each year.  It was in November of 2010, 2 1/2 years later before she had the second surgery.  So each one is different and it sometimes does require you to wait until the time is right.  Good luck and keep us informed as to how things are going.
Margaret

Margaret

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge