Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6 month check up and swelling??? (Read 8537 times)
Hawaii Born
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

6 month check up and swelling???
Dec 2nd, 2013 at 10:34am

Just had surgery done last week 11/26 at Stanford!!!
This place was unreal, everyone was so nice and I felt so great going into surgery. I only had it done on my right side, there was no need for a left side surgery. I do have to come back in 6 months to do follow up test. Has anyone gone back in 6 months, the people I have been blessed to have talked to who had surgery only came back for the 1yr. Follow up.
Just wanted to know what to expect when I come back. I'm stil here today going to get a post MRI done and tomorrow pull the staples. If all is good I will leave on Friday back to Hawaii, till the follow up!! Also my head is killin' me, headache is bad and the right side of my head looks like stewie from family guy!!!
If u guys can tell me how long it took for the swelling on the head to go down. My face is almost normal!!!
Thank to so much for taking the time to read this and allowing  me into yor life!! Aloha!!!

IP Logged

OneStoneTwoBirds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: 6 month check up and swelling???
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 12:31pm

Did your doctor tell you to expect swelling?  Has it been there during your post-op visits from the surgeon?  If not, please make sure you see him and report this headache, or at the very least ask about it tomorrow when your staples are pulled.  Ask the surgeon what you should watch for.  What I would tell you to ask for specifics -- such as that if you see any bruising at the incision site that appears after you seem to be healing, or any strokelike symptoms such as tremors or slurred speech, find out what you should do.  My husband had these 4 weeks after EDAS and ignored them and the next day had a stroke, went into seizures from which they were never able to bring him out.  Be your own best advocate; knowledge is power and knowledge and persistence = recovery.  Congratulations on your successful surgery.

IP Logged

Hawaii Born
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 1:13pm

Thank you for the info!!! Yes it was told to me about the swelling and headaches, just wanted to see how long it may have lasted for others. Today is the worst day since the surgery, feel so week and tired, like I want to vomit, and yes the pain is worse!!! I'm at my MRI test now waiting. I'm going to call the hospital after I'm done. Thanx again!!

IP Logged

lostinkansas
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:08pm

I was just there as well and only got it on my right side too.  My surgery was the 19th.  The staples couldn't be pulled so had to come home the day before Thanksgiving with them in.  I just had staples pulled yesterday.  The swelling has just now gone down enough so I don't look so, hmm, freakish?  Sorry but that's just the way I felt.  So for me that was 2 weeks.  However I have fluid trapped underneath and my g.p. said that will take some time to be reabsorbed.  As to headaches I did have a lot, but I took the hydrocodone (sp?)  They were emphatic I take it when needed and not let the pain build up.  Anyway, that ran out a few days back, and now I'm not really having headaches only pin like pain at the incision.  If you are in doubt e-mail Theresa or Melissa if Theresa isn't back yet, they'll be happy to advise you. 

And as to the 6 months, that is when i am going back too.  It may be they want you back at 6 months because they'll be checking on the other side too if stenosis has started there, or it may be this is just what they regularly do, not sure. 

And as to energy, that is my primary problem, if your like me you should plan on being conservative with your energy output. 

Anyway, glad to hear it all went well.  I feel very fortunate to have found that team. 
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:10pm by lostinkansas »  

IP Logged

zander
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2014 at 2:09am

I had surgery on the 26th and second on the 8th of January at stanford.

swelling lasted about a week on both sides.  My first surgery was more severe, with swelling in the forehead and my eye to the point where it was almost completely closed.

I have little neurological attacks where my throat goes numb, then my nose, tongue, (making it nearly impossible to speak) and then a few of my fingers. As it spreads to another area, it gets better in the previous area. I still have complete muscular control, just a spreading numbness. I can still think clearly, etc and remain very alert. Its just scary as hell.

Had these every day for about 10 days after the first surgery, and only once or twice after the second but they were more severe for the ones I did have after the second.

Never had any TIAs or stroke before the surgery, so its extra scary.

Stanford said its normal, but Im not entirely convinced. I just think they tell me that to relax since there's really nothing they can do about it prevention-wise. 

Im only 26, follow all meds, and hydrate with over 4 liters of water a day. Im not working, I pretty much relax all day every day. Not pushing it at all.

Overall, biggest problem is energy. By about day 12 after each surgery, I was feeling about 80% as well as I did before surgery.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2014 at 2:10am by zander »  

IP Logged

Spacebass42
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 3:31pm

I realize this is an old thread, but I was wondering as well about the swelling. I had mine on 2/9/2018 (roughly 4 weeks ago) and I am still experiencing swelling just below the incision site.
The incision is on my left side, starting at my temple area then ending in front of my ear.
In fact, I have had to take an arm off of my glasses to not cause pressure on the swollen area.
I was told that since there is a lot of muscle in the area that the swelling would last awhile.
Does this seem similar to anyone else's experience?

IP Logged

Spacebass42
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Hey Deave, appreciate the concern.
So I am looking at 6 weeks post surgery now, and still have some swelling going on.
It is still going down, but man it is taking a long time in my opinion.

A couple of weeks ago, I had an appointment with my surgeon and he was not worried at all about it.
However, he was concerned about a swollen salivary gland on my surgery side and wanted me to go to an ENT Dr. to get that inspected.
Well, the ENT did not think it was anything serious, probably residual swelling from the procedure, but prescribed me antibiotics.
If the swollen gland is still present after the antibiotics, then I will get a scan to see what's up.
I am about a week into the antibiotics and the gland is going down, but def not the same as the other side of my face yet.

I have never had a surgery before so I have no clue how long the swelling will last.
Every professional have talked to just said "its going to be like that for awhile"
I'm pretty sure that they don't have a way of knowing exactly when the swelling will disappear, probably different for everyone.
They are more concerned with infection, which I am not showing symptoms of thankfully.

How long ago was your surgery?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge