Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5 years post of and new symptom (Read 2827 times)
Shari K.
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

5 years post of and new symptom
Dec 9th, 2013 at 11:25am

My husband had bilateral STA-MCA five years ago.  He saw Dr. Steinberg 13 months ago and all was good.  In June he developed a small brain bleed, likely caused from moyamoya vessel rupture.  He had MRI, MRA, and C. angio done this summer, sent to Cali and all looked good. 

Last Thursday, his left thumb went numb.  Hasn't come back at all.  His history with MM started with the same symptom in the right hand, and that numbness is now permanent. 

took him to ER, and the did MRI and MRA.  Neurologist said all looked ok.  The hospital is one of three certified as "Stroke Center" in Illinois.  Neuro said he thinks it is carpel tunnel, which is what my husband thought his original problem was six years ago when his right hand went numb.

Question, do I call Cali?  If so, is there even any more treatment for him?  We feel such a sense of impending doom.

Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Shari

IP Logged

OneStoneTwoBirds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: 5 years post of and new symptom
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 2:54pm

I think you already know the answer:  Make the call.

Just because a center is a stroke center doesn't mean they know about moyamoya.  My husband's stroke neurologist at a very prestigious hospital was sure that what he was seeing was moyamoya syndrome from atherosclerosis because he was looking at a perfectly functional 58-year-old slightly overweight guy and congenital moyamoya is so rare.  Good thing his neurosurgeon knew differently after seeing his angiogram.

Make the call.  Have the latest MRI/MRA scans sent to Dr. Steinberg.  Maybe it's nothing.  Maybe it's something.  Don't be shy.  It's better to know than not know.  You are probably not looking at anything terribly serious, but I am a widow now because when my husband's EDAS incision site started looking bruised, his speech became slurred, and his hands started shaking on September 21, I didn't insist on calling his surgeon.  He didn't want to.  He had a stroke that night, then seizures that could not be broken and he never came back.  My crusade now is to make sure others don't ignore symptoms.  If my nagging saves one life it is worth it.

Make the call.  My thoughts will be with you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge