Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moyamoya and sex (Read 7808 times)
Dennis
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Moyamoya and sex
Jan 8th, 2014 at 7:08am

Dear all,

my gf has moyamoya and two bypasses. She can't use contraceptive pills due to intolerance. Her doctor also won't give her a intrauterine device because of possible complications and bleeding.

We both dislike condoms. Which puts us in sort of a predicament. Does any other couple have similar problems? Or what do other couples with a moyamoya partner do for birth control?

Thank you all
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2014 at 9:08am by Dennis »  

IP Logged

Dennis
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Moyamoya and sex
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 7:44am

Guess we are the only couple in the world that has this kind of problem, huh?  Cheesy

IP Logged

dmm
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 8:00am

Hi Dennis
My daughter has unilateral Moyamoya and had her surgery done in June 2009. She had an IUD put in after the birth of her first child and has just had it done again following the birth of her second child. Her doctor said each time we will monitor you and if there are any problems we will remove it. So far so good.
Hope that helps. Good luck with everything.

IP Logged

Rodrigues
New Poster

two stories, one family

Canada
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 1:07am

I would suggest a second opinion on the IUD as there are (as far as I know) 3 different types. as for right now, if you choose to not use condoms, look into spermicide, female condom or similar, and the classic pulling out. best of luck Smiley

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Diagnosed Oct 2005. Direct
bypasses: Nov 05 Apr

Brisbane, Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:50am

I had an implanon implant for a while, which did the job for a couple of years until I started spotting constantly for about 12 weeks (as is common).. That is a progesterone only device... The mini pill is progesterone only also but has to be taken twice a day (every 12 hrs -precisely).. I never tried that.
Had a diaphragm for a while with no issues (except that the bf at the time didn't like it Undecided..) these days it's just condoms, try the "skins" brand perhaps?

WWW rubygrapefruit https://www.facebook.com/emily.pip  
IP Logged

Ericka19
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 6:25pm

Hey Dennis,

I have Moyamoya (Bypass in feb 2013) and my boyfriend and I ran into the same issue. I went to my OB/GYN, who is great, and she suggested a copper IUD (although I have not had any children in the past). I would say that your gf might benefit from talking to her neurologist or neurosurgeon, have them give the ok for an IUD (I did that leg work before I went into the GYN), and to look into paraguard. It works really well for us and I haven't had any issues, and its got no hormones. You guys aren't alone with that issue, trust me.

Hope this helps!

-Ericka

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge