Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My six year old has Moyamoya (Read 10112 times)
Brittie
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

My six year old has Moyamoya
Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:45pm

Hi
My daughter was diagnosed with Moyamoya in March 2013 after suffering headaches and TIAs. As yet, she has not had a stroke, thank God. However, she was completely occluded on the left and had an EC-IC revascularisation in August at Great Ormond Street. She already has a complicated medical history, complete with tracheostomy, thanks to another very rare genetic condition she inherited from me. The Moyamoya is completely unrelated. I guess I'm really looking for some guidance.

It's been five months since her surgery and her symptoms got a lot worse for one week after the surgery but have been improving since then. She is still having TIAs, she had one this evening, and headaches. She still blanches. She also can go cold, below 36 degrees. Has anyone else had this? We have good days when she has loads of energy and then she'll have a bad day, no energy, TIAs and headaches. When she does have these, she can then seem to regress. When she started school in Sept 12, she surprised us all with how well she did. Once the TIAs started, she would lose what she had gained and struggle to get it back. She lost the ability to write her name from December to September. It's back now but she lags behind her peers in reading and writing.

Has anyone else's kids suffered this without a stroke occurring? Does it improve after surgery? Will she ever get to a position where the TIAs don't wipe her out so much? Will her energy levels improve? I know each kid is different but I just need some light at the end of the tunnel. Does it get easier for them?

She spent the first five years of her life proving all the doctors wrong and coming so far. Moyamoya seems to have knocked her sideways and it just seems so unfair.

Any advice or help or just hearing another parent's experiences would really help.
Thanks for reading this.
Brittie

IP Logged

RiverAppa
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: My six year old has Moyamoya
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 6:13am

hi brittie--check your messages.

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:20pm

So sorry to hear your daughter is still having difficulties.  It's so hard b/c you can't see what's going on the brain! I do know that, historically, strokes or not, it does take some amount of time for new blood routes to form (collaterals) in the brain after surgery, so it is quite possible to continue having symptoms, even a full stroke, after surgery. This seems to vary person-person.  Is she on any aspirin or other blood-thinner therapy? Our neurologist had our son on 41.5 mg aspirin/day the 1st few yrs. about 3 yrs after he stopped the aspirin, he began having TIA's. he went bk on aspirin and still takes it (same dose) today, 10 yrs later w/ no more TIA's or any symptoms.
Definitely ask your surgeon or neurologist what could be going on.
Best wishes to you!!!

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 7:23pm

I forgot to ask if she had surgery on both sides? I was told that w/ true MM, both sides are generally affected. and I know this is certainly no consolation, but my son STILL has headaches: mild ones every day, occasional migraines, but if he takes Depakote, he doesn't have the migraines. this 17 yrs post stroke/surgeries.

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

Brittie
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 3:59pm

Thank you for responding. She is on 75mg of aspirin a day. We recently increased it and it really seems to be helping. She had already been taking 75mg one day, 37.5mg the next. This is the most she can take at present. We've already been told that she will be on aspirin for the rest of her life. The moya moya is only on the left side as the right side looked unaffected. Having said that, she sometimes has TIAs that affect the left side of her body which has her neuro team completely stumped. Also, I am aware that she has a 30% chance of developing it on the right side within the next 5 years.
Thanks again for responding.
Take care
Brittie

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:30pm

I wish y'all all the best! Give your daughter a hug for me Smiley
Have you seen the videos of Dr. Diane Milliwicz on YouTube? She is heading research being done at the Univ of Tx Health Science Ctr that is trying to determine if there is a genetic cause for MM as well as other vascular disorders (there seems to be a connection). If you haven't, I highly recommend it.  each of the 5 videos are only about 20 min long so you can watch a little or all. I believe this website has a link, but you can just search for her on YouTube.com. Their work is showing progress and hope!

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:36pm

I just saw the video link here (I spelled Dr. Milewicz's name wrong!)
Look at Important Messages\MM gathering 2012 under the MM Related Information and Support board. It will take you right to the videos.

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

Moyamomma
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 9:27pm

My six year old also has Moyamoya. She had surgery on both sides in September of 2013, shortly after she was diagnosed. She had a stroke right after the surgery but now, five months later, has regained much of what she lost. We were doing really really well, but lately she's had some symptoms again and it's discouraging. Trying to stay positive, but some days it's just so hard. I find it especially difficult not knowing what the triggers are. What causes the headaches. What we should be avoiding. But most of our days are lovely, and I'm trying to keep my mind there rather than letting it go to the dark side. Hugs to you all.

IP Logged

Jane K
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 4:39pm

Hi, my six year old son has just been diagnosed with moya moya after he suffered a stroke whilst on holiday 3 weeks ago, we are waiting to be referred to Great Ormond Street for surgery. Any information you could pass onto us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jane

IP Logged

srkm5482
MM.com Sponsor

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sugar Land, TX
Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 5:24pm

Hi, Jane
so glad you found this site. there is so much info here. as one mom to another with this experience, I know  how scary it is.
you don't mention what has been affected (paralysis, speech, cognitive issues), but know that the fact that he is so young, but has most likely already developed his major skills (gross motor, fine motor, speech, etc), with good therapy (re-training), he should be able to regain most of those skills. my son was dx'd after a major stroke at the age of 3 1/2 yr, had paralysis on the upper rt side (his dominant side at the time), loss of speech.  his speech return was very good w/in 6 mo. and he moved out of ST after 2 1/2 yrs. He had been very active, athletically before the stroke and was still interested in sports, so swimming, soccer, baseball, golf, tennis were activities we engaged him in along with his PT & occupational therapy.  The fine motor skills for him were the hardest to regain, but by the end of 6th grade, he moved out of education assistance. He completed his Eagle Scout rank & is now a Jr. in a highly acclaimed Tx univ. studying Exercise Physiology.  He doesn't type with both hands, but who does these days?  He manages just fine.
One thing I will mention is to ask your neurologist/surgeon what area of the brain was affected and what things should you look for that may be affected but would not be obvious.  We found out in 1st gr that b/c the language center had been an area affected, he was having much difficulty reading even though he was above avg intelligence & knew all his phonics sounds.  With special attention to reading, he was able to overcome this, but it would have been easier had it been caught beforehand.
another thing to discuss w/ Dr's is the effect the reduced blood flow may have had on internal organs and what to watch for.  My son's arms/legs were only slightly smaller on the affected side than the other, but when he was 13 it was discovered that his kidney on the rt side was also smaller, thus causing an abnormal release of renin that controls blood pressure (his was too high). this was controlled by meds, not sure if there could have been anything to prevent it, but something  that should be monitored (BP).  In addition, anyone with any type of brain injury is prone to issues with attention, so request suggestions for help with this as well.
hope this helps. I'll monitor replies to this so if you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to write. For me, my faith that God is in control got me thru it all -continues to - we moms never stop worrying.  I wish my son had not had to go thru all this, but I will say there is very little he was not able to do that any other normal boy did. Lots of his peers went thru ST and reading help.  In hindsight, the one thing I wish I had done was held him back a year in starting school and gotten more private tutoring for him rather than relying on the public school assistance.
God blesss you all.
sue

Sue (Kyle's mom)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge