Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moyamoya and posterior circulation (Read 2867 times)
Birdie36
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Moyamoya and posterior circulation
Jan 23rd, 2014 at 5:58pm

Hi all,

I just had my yearly follow up from by STA-MCA bypasses.  The angiogram looked good, both bypasses were open.  I met with my neurologist today, and she would like me to do yearly MRA to make sure this does not progress to the posterior circulation.  Has anyone heard of this progressing to the posterior circulation, and if it does what is the "fix"?  Any feedback would be appreciated it.

Thanks,
Shelli

IP Logged

Emily
Senior Poster

Diagnosed Oct 2005. Direct
bypasses: Nov 05 Apr

Brisbane, Australia
Re: Moyamoya and posterior circulation
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:45am

Hey shelli,
When I was first diagnosed (2005) my vertebrobasilar arteries were quite affected (narrowed), my surgeon was hoping that the bloodflow from my direct bypasses would "force open" these arteries and it appears this has happened to a degree.. The "fix" is not simple, not in that area anyway, my dr was suggesting an indirect bypass of sorts by wrapping a long muscle around the brain stem and letting that blood supply grow through.. However this is for extreme posterior, right in the back of the brain, I'm not sure if that was what your dr may have been referring to - or just posterior blood vessels such as the PCOM arteries... Anyway, keep us posted...

WWW rubygrapefruit https://www.facebook.com/emily.pip  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge