Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Direct STA-MCA Bypass Combined with Indirect EDAS (Read 3861 times)
shtabz
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Direct STA-MCA Bypass Combined with Indirect EDAS
Mar 6th, 2014 at 4:30pm

Hello Folks,
My younger brother who is 18 years old, has just been diagonised MMD. He needs revascularization procedure on the left side while the right side does not need any surgical intervension.
His Neuro surgeon has advised to perform a Direct STA-MCA Bypass combined with an Indirect EDAS.
While going through various threads on the forum, It seems like mostly either of the procedure is adopted and not a combination of both.
Hence wanted to undertstand, if a combination of both Direct and Indirect Bypass would be a better option as compared to Just any one of the procedure and if there may be any particular risk factor involved ?
His MRI indicate that he has a good sized left parietal branch  and actually has two frontal branches of the left superficial temporal artery.
Any advise/ insight on the same would be highly appreciated as.
Thanking you in advance.
Tabz.

IP Logged

lostinkansas
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Direct STA-MCA Bypass Combined with Indirect EDAS
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2014 at 8:54am

My neurosurgeon did this as well.  The way it was explained to me is that it could  extra blood flow, the indirect will (or should) eventually grow more vessels; whereas the direct (obviously) creates immediate benefit.   In my case they had the two good branches of the donor right temporal artery.  As far as I know there's no problem with doing it.  I suspect the decision is driven by having a good size Y branch of the temporal artery.  I just consider the indirect as "icing on the cake".

IP Logged

shtabz
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Direct STA-MCA Bypass Combined with Indirect EDAS
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 8:12pm

Thnks much Mr JRL..Appreciate it..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge