Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinion from neutral parties (Read 3735 times)
msreader
New Poster

Brain (trouble), brain
(trouble) go away!

Opinion from neutral parties
Apr 14th, 2014 at 8:26pm

So, a few years ago I was diagnosed with Moyamoya. My angiogram indicated bilateral involvement. But only one side was bad enough to cause symptoms. Was told that I probably never have to have surgery on the other side. Had surgery on the affected side. All went well.
Now, naturally, my neurologist says there has been progressive involvement on the remaining side. Need surgery again. 
The delimma: Do I return to my original surgeon or stay local? One reason I went out of state the first time is because I know the ENTIRE surgical team. They are good, but I know them. Work with them. They do this surgery once every couple of months, but the surgeon is young. My insurance decided to approve out of network coverage as in-network, but it cost money. They may not this time. And my yearly out of pocket doubled. Right now, money is an issue for me.
Some family says stay here. Other, the ones with no financial worries, say go back to first surgeon. If I have it here, the operation would basically be free. (Employee discount!)
So, do I make a decision with money out of the equation?
And I shouldn't feel disloyal, but I do.  Undecided

IP Logged

mc823923
Junior Poster

My dauaghter Annamarie
lives with mm

Baton Rouge, USA, usa, 345, 271, LA, Louisiana
Re: Opinion from neutral parties
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 12:20pm

It is my daughter that has MM disease.  My thought is that you want the best neurosurgeon you can get.  I would be afraid to have this surgery based only on the money aspect.  If someone is going to operate on my brain, I only want the best if that is at all possible.  Good luck and keep us posted.   Smiley

Margaret

IP Logged

msreader
New Poster

Brain (trouble), brain
(trouble) go away!

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 3:43pm

Thanks. My local guy is a great surgeon, but the other has about 25 years experience over him. And I do trust him. Then I remembered when I consulted him first the last time. He walked into the exam room, saw it was me, and told me he would be happy to refer me to wherever I wanted to go.

I told my neurologist to refer me back to the original guy.

IP Logged

lostinkansas
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 7:08am

I just wanted to second the idea of going to the surgeon whom you think has the most experience and whom you have the greatest confidence in.  I had surgery on the right at Stanford, and now am in the same situation of having the left watched.  If it comes to having surgery on the left, which is likely, I'll go back to Stanford even though there are closer surgeons simply because I trust them to do an excellent job and that puts me at ease .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge