Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is MMD Hereditary? (Read 3616 times)
1inamillion
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Long Island, NY
Is MMD Hereditary?
Aug 3rd, 2014 at 6:17pm

My daughter was diagnosed with MMD at 7 months old. She has had surgeries on the right and left side 3 years ago. She is doing very well.  My question is could one of my other 3 children have it? I can't help but feel that I should have them have  MRI/MRA to make sure. Any thoughts? Does anyone have more than one child with MMD?

IP Logged

Heath
New Poster

slate

Richardson, Texas
Re: Is MMD Hereditary?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 1:27pm

there are studies happening presently to understand this better, and there is correlation to suggest that moyamoya can be hereditary

our neurologist suggested an MRI for our youngest child after our oldest was diagnosed

i'd suggest speaking to your neurologist and reading as much as you can find so you can do what feels right to you

good luck

'we are all born with a hint of madness--we mustn't lose it'--robin williams

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Akron, USA, usa, 421, 123, OH, Ohio
Re: Is MMD Hereditary?
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 2:22am

I believe there is an 8% hereditary factor with MM'ers.

They have isolated at least 2 genetic codes linked to MM. The study is being conducted through the Univ of Texas under Dr. Dianna Milewicz.

I tested positive, my paternal uncle (which means my father would have been carrying the code) and 2 of my five children tested positive....but no one other than myself has MM. From my understanding it is linked to heart vascular problems and they found an overlap with MM'ers. (my dad and his side of the family had heart related problems)

Hmmm....seems I'm kinda "special" LOL

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge