Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adult in coma following surgery (Read 2551 times)
Jeremy
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Adult in coma following surgery
Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:46pm

Hi all,

Like most people here I had never heard of moyamoya until my girlfriend (39) was diagnosed with it a few weeks ago.

She had surgery last week in Montreal, Canada.   The plan was a STA-MCA Bypass, but the temporal artery was too narrow, so they went with the EMS instead.

She woke up normally after surgery, but then they lost contact with her after 3 hours, and she is now in a coma.

It's been almost a week now. They're expecting her to wake up in the coming weeks, but warned us she will most likely have some disability, either physical (paralyzed arm or leg) or psychological (trouble concentrating or even mental retardation)

My worst fears are coming true. She was so scared of not waking up. Has anyone experienced anything similar? How did it go?

IP Logged

OneStoneTwoBirds
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Adult in coma following surgery
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2016 at 1:18pm

I am so sorry you and she are going through this.

I am unfamiliar with this procedure; my husband had successful EDAS at age 58.  Unfortunately they did not tell him of the importance of hydration and he suffered a stroke 4 weeks later after drinking 2 gallons of tomato juice in 4 days..

I know how difficult this time is for you.  What does "lost contact" mean?  Did she have a stroke?  Is she on a ventilator or can she breathe on her own?  Please post an update.  I am concerned about you both.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge