Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surgery Questions (Read 2495 times)
SusanL
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Surgery Questions
May 25th, 2016 at 2:03pm

I just heard from Dr. Steinberg's office yesterday.  I sent my films to him to get a second opinion on whether I need surgery for my MMD.  The doctors at Kaiser say I have enough blood flow to my brain and that since I've haven't had a stroke although I've been showing symptoms and have had TIA's since my 20's (I'm 43), they seem to think I'm low risk for stroke.

Dr. Steinberg is recommending surgery, both an indirect and direct bypass.  After reading all these boards, does that mean 2 surgeries?

It is hard to hear that I need brain surgery after I had accepted the plan from Kaiser to just live with the MMD and try to deal with the symptoms.  But the more I think about it, I know I need to follow Dr. Steinberg's recommendations.

So will I be having 2 surgeries?  Has anyone else needed 2?  What was it like?  Do I have to go in two separate days?

I'm working on getting my insurance changed this week so I can see Dr. Steinberg.  I hope it goes smoothly.

IP Logged

willowz
New Poster

Hope Springs Eternal

Re: Surgery Questions
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2016 at 12:07pm

Susan, a surgeon can do direct and indirect bypass at the same time, whether you need 2 surgeries depends on whether the MM is on both sides of the brain (usually is). They will most likely do one side, let you recover, and then do the other.  Hope all goes well for you. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge