Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New here and trying to learn more (Read 3945 times)
soosoos
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

New here and trying to learn more
Sep 20th, 2016 at 1:17pm

On 09/14/16, after a few episodes of what I now know were acute strokes, I ended up in the hospital. About a month ago, I broke my elbow after tripping while I was running. I thought the tingling in my left arm was due to the fact that my broken arm was pinching my nerve; however, the numbness and tingling traveled to the left side of my face, and throughout the day, I noticed drooling and drooping. This happened intermittently for about 24 hours. I told my husband about this, and he took me to the hospital. I was shocked to learn in the ER of Fairfax Inova that I had suffered at least one stroke, according to a CT scan. They were almost sure that at the most, I had suffered a TIA. Throughout the episodes, and even while I was having another stroke at the hospital, I had full cognitive control and was convinced I didn't have a stroke. Since then, I've been diagnosed with moyamoya. Subsequent MRA and MRI showed multiple areas of my brain that were damaged, which indicates I suffered several strokes.

A little about me: I am 43, Korean, and female. My father probably died from this disease two years ago. He suffered several heart attacks, several strokes and stomach cancer. The strokes left him completely paralyzed, unable to speak and swallow. He had two stents placed in his carotid arteries, which were completely occluded. While I am typing this, I am so sad for the pain he suffered for seven years, since his initial stroke, and the fact that he could never walk/talk again. I have two wonderful teenagers, and I hope to God that I live to see them grow into the wonderful adults that I know they'll become.

I am now sitting at home, and I plan to return to work tomorrow. I am a lawyer, and I own a busy real estate and family law practice. I have been having intermittent numbness, but I'm less worried because I am on Plavix, Aspirin and Lipitor now. I have had high BP in the past so I continue to take meds to control that. I have a neuro consult next week and sent in my films to Dr. Steinberg. I am fortunate to live next to lots of excellent facilities around the DC area, but everything I've researched has pointed me to the Stanford Center. I've sent a few emails elsewhere, including Johns Hopkins, but quite honestly, I haven't received any follow-up from anyone except Dr. Steinberg.

I am really depressed about everything. I feel normal but not really. I am sad that I feel like everything is normal, but at the same time, nothing is normal. I'm trying not to read about too much, but I do realize I am very fortunate. I'm alive and walking, talking. However, I also know that there are changes that were undetectable at first. I can't seem to be interested in anything anymore. I am having trouble focusing on anything, and my attention span is almost non-existent. I used to be able to focus on so much for so long...

IP Logged

nicole409
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: New here and trying to learn more
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 4:18pm

Hi
I totally understand what you are going through as many of us  went through this. 
I am also, Korean, female, and went through the whole ordeal last year.  What I wanted to say is that what you are experiencing is completely understandable. 
I met Dr. Steinberg at a picnic for MoyaMoya patients in June.  I did not have my surgery with him.  I do have a friend who has had her surgeries by him. 
There are so many questions I had that were popping up left and right before and after the surgery.  I will check back in the next 24 hours to see if you have any that I could answer to help you out. 
Don't feel depressed.  Feel blessed because you are still here to see your kids and to love them. 
Oh!  drink  lots of water!

IP Logged

Christine K
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: New here and trying to learn more
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 1:05pm

Hello.
I know this is a little while since you first posted, but I am also a female Korean American going through this. I know it is rather depressing and extremely frustrating. You are not alone and all your feelings are valid (I had people tell me I was being too sensitive). I hope you are on your road to recovery.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2016 at 1:08pm by Christine K »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge