Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Long Travel for surgery- Is It Safe? (Read 1271 times)
aika
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Long Travel for surgery- Is It Safe?
Jan 14th, 2017 at 4:03am

I am new here and this is my first posting.  My sister was just diagnosed with MoyaMoya via angiogram after suffering 2 strokes.  One after returning from work and the second (mini stroke) while in acute rehab.  My sister lives/works on the east coast but her home is Hawaii.  Doctor saying it is imperative that a surgery is done in 1~2 weeks. Sister would like to be home in Hawaii for the surgery or if anything at the very least, to be home as quickly as possible after the surgery.  She is quite scared and not hopeful right now and wants to be close to family.  Although doctor had permitted for the long travel, would it be wiser to have the surgery first then return home as soon thereafter OR Risk the long travel.  She is in her mid-fifties and is paralyzed in the right leg and right arm,in addition to speech/cognition being compromised.  She had been blessed with slow improvements in her leg and cognition.  Where I am confused is that myself am a survivor of a burst aortic aneurysm and also cardiac arrest in another event.  My doctors are not keen on long air travel. So shouldn't my sister also be concerned about long air travel?
Final question is how long after the surgery would it be considered safe to travel long distances?  Any advice is appreciated please.

IP Logged

Smithnth
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: Long Travel for surgery- Is It Safe?
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 4:51pm

I think you should think about when. Your sister is on the clock so I think your Drs. are right bout the 1 to 2 weeks. I understand the location question. My son has the option of Stanford or Southern Cal. We had a 2 month old as well at the time so we choose to stay local. You should probably think about what Dr will be treating your sister. MM treatment is somewhat of a smaller population of surgeons.

If you do travel keep her hydrated since for MM is a key thing. Travel afterwards will be dependent upon the type of surgery. Probably not for 2 to 3 weeks as they will be worried about clots. My son had indirect and were were in the hospital for a week.

IP Logged

aika
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 3:20am

Thank you for the response!!  Very much appreciated and comforting to hear another's voice on this matter.

I humbly ask any one else to also please share their knowledge since we are being told by the present medical facility to make a final decision quickly. Looks like time is of critical importance right now and from what I can read elsewhere, this surgery has to be done asap.

IP Logged

aika
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 3:24am

I failed to mention earlier that the Dr. wants to do an indirect surgical procedure.  Thank you once more for your comment!!

IP Logged

Smithnth
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 1:15pm

So with a indirect bypass you will probably be able to leave the hospital with 4 days post op assuming no complications. Is it one sided or bi lateral? Uni lateral makes life a little easier and also means there is less of a chance of progression.

The 24 hours after the surgery will be the most critical. Blood pressure will be key as they will want to keep the vessels open. After any surgery vessels will have a tendency to collapse. Make sure that they give your a sister an atery line (a line) as this will allow them to manage the pressure realtime.

Have the dr do a MRI blood flow study before the surgery and one 8 months post op. This will allow you to see the impact.

IP Logged

aika
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 3:08am

I will follow your good advice and allow me to thank you once more.
My Best of Regards to you and your family!!

IP Logged

Amyinnj
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 2:31pm

We literally just got back from an appt with neurosurgeon following my daughter's EDAS surgery in October. About travel he said that the problem is, if you have a problem there's nothing they can do for you except give oxygen and they will even run out of that during a long flight. So, short flights are ok, especially to places where there is access to good quality health care in case you need it! Perhaps she can break the flight into smaller legs. Also, if you are on Facebook there is a very active and knowledgeable group of MMers who post and answer questions on a page called World Moyamoya Day. Check it out!

IP Logged

aika
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 10:09pm

Thank you for the information!! 
Please be informed that we decided to have the procedure done on the East Coast to limit any potential risks. We now pray for the best.  Any further advice will be appreciated. Once again thank you to all who provided insight for my family.

IP Logged

Amyinnj
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 4:38pm

My daughter had her indirect bypass in New York City at Columbia Presbyterian with dr Connolly. I have also heard good things about dr langer at Lennox Hill and Jared Knopman at Weill Cornell. All of them have experience with moyamoya surgery.

IP Logged

aika
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 12:44pm

I apologize for responding late.  Was dealing with quite a bad cold recently.  Thank you for the information.  The surgery is coming up soon and will be at Lourde's hospital in New Jersey. We remain positive that all will be fine. Please keep in contact and I pray for your daughter's quick and excellent recovery.

IP Logged

Ilies1981
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 2:15pm

first off, i want to apologize for writing a post to such an old thread, but, aika, you said that you would have your surgery soon and then no answer. the thing is that i'm super interested in finding out how do you feel now? would appreciate if you would come back with updates. thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

2003-2013 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge