Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
11 months post surgery and symptoms are back (Read 2902 times)
marilyn liddell
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

11 months post surgery and symptoms are back
Jun 1st, 2018 at 1:02am

Hi all,

I am a 27 year old woman, diagnosed with Moyamoya about a year and a half ago after having 3 strokes. I had unilateral STA-MCA bypass on the right side in February 2013 with the neurosurgery team at University of Miami. Surgery went well. I was having tingling everyday before surgery, and I had nothing for about 6 months, a TIA in June (nothing too bad just more scary than anything) and then I didn't have any symptoms for a long time.

Last week I had a bad TIA, with symptoms as strong as the stroke I had in the past. Plus I couldn't speak correctly, and bad facial drooping too, plus numbness and tingling, in my left side of my face and left hand (especially the pinky and ring fingers). I went to the hospital and the CT showed "there might be some stenosis of the bypass artery." Getting an angiogram on Monday morning to find out more.

I am scared. If it were symptoms on the other side I wouldn't be as upset about it, because I know that in all likelihood I will have to have surgery on the left side one day as well. But I didn't expect symptoms to come back on the same side, stronger than they have been since I had a stroke.

Has anyone else out there had this happen? Any ideas if they can/will want to do surgery on the same side again? Other treatment options?

I am already on asprin, verapamil (in an attempt to dilate my arteries) and zocor as a precaution.

I'm feeling rather hopeless at the moment; I really don't want to continue to have TIA and strokes, because I know I've been lucky so far in that I have regained my left side functioning, but that won't always be the case if we can't get this under control.

Thanks for any info!

IP Logged

SaraB
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Oregon
Re: 11 months post surgery and symptoms are back
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 2:27am

I am sorry to hear that you are having such scary symptoms again after a successful bypass! I rarely get symptoms that send me into a panic but it happens about once a year. I don't know that mine have been as severe as yours but it's always been a false alarm so far. I used to rush to the emergency room but they could sometimes make my panic worse because they don't have a good understanding of Moyamoya. I don't know if you've seen someone experienced with this disease since your recent episode, but if not you should definitely speak with your neurosurgeon.

My episodes are usually caused by a "perfect storm" of things combined. Like if I'm getting sick and don't realize it, or if I've been really upset about something, or mentally exhausted from being at a loud, crowded party, or working out in the heat all day... I'm six years post surgeries and I did suffer multiple strokes before being diagnosed. I really hope that this was just a false alarm for you and that your bypass is still working as it should.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge