Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody filed LTD/SSI due to MM? (Read 4636 times)
Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Anybody filed LTD/SSI due to MM?
Oct 3rd, 2005 at 2:31am

I'm just wondering if anybody has filed long term disability due to MM?  What about filing Social Security Disability benefits?  I was on another thread and this very important topic came up...(thanks lsuvia)  Wink

Lore, I know you know quite a bit about insurance.  Can you provide any insight regarding this?  I'm currently receiving TDI, but it is only good for 28 weeks...and I'm nearing the end of my 28 week period.  Do you know what is available to patients after TDI runs its course?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Anyone?  Smiley

Thanks,
Shan
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2005 at 8:36am by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Re: Anybody filed LTD/SSI due to MM?
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 6:52am

Shan,
             I don't know what TDI is but Mnady was getting short term disability then after the time limit ran out with info. from her doc's it turned right into long term after she was on that for 6 mon. or a year (I forget) they make you apply for SS disability and part is paid by SS and the other to make up the original long term amount is paid by your long term disability. Mandy had no problems with any of it and was approved right away but because of the shape she was in, and is still in and far as not being able to care for herself 100% she still needs alot of help. However it still took that 3 or 2 months or whatever to recieve SS dis. checks after she was approved just like everyone else.

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 7:41am

Shan,

It sounds like you have short-term disability with the 28 weeks.  Do you know if you have long-term disability insurance that picks up after the short-term disability is exhausted? Is TDI Temporary Disability Income? Is it through an employer or is it an individual policy?

If you don't have long-term care insurance, Hawaii has a temporary disability program.  I don't know the specifics but you can check it out with the state.

Social Security provides long-term disability benefits based on your salary and the number of years you have worked and contributed to Social Security. However, the qualifications to receive Social Security benefits are very strict.  You have to have been disabled for 5 full (calendar) months, your disability is expected to last 12 months or end in death and you are unable to be gainfully employed at any occupation.

Also, if you are in or were in the military, there are benefits available to you as well.

Shan, I hope this helps you.  I know you have had other illness besides MM and you may very well qualify for long-term disability through Hawaii or Social Security if you don't have a personal long-term care disability policy or one through an employer.

If you decide to go for Social Security Disability, I reccommend getting an attorney to assist in getting through the red tape. Most attorney's won't charge for a consultation to see if you fit all the qualifications before proceeding.

Let me know if you have additional questions and I will try and find the answers for you.

Hugs,

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 8:34am

Nancy, Lore,

Thanks so much for the info. Yes, TDI is Temporary Disability Insurance (through my employer), which lasts for only 28 weeks.  I'm going to check with our State's and SS office about LTD this week.  I tried looking up more info online, and just like you said Lore, it recommended getting an attorney to help with obtaining SS benefits! Wow.  Just the thought of it is starting to give me a headache already.  Undecided 

Well, thanks again for the valuable info you've both provided. I'll let you know how it goes...  Wink

Thanks,
Shan

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

lsuvia
Junior Poster

Diagnosed w/MM on 8/2005

Oceanside, USA, usa, 62, 227, CA, California
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:05pm

Hi Shan,

Thanks for posting the question asked.  I have applied for SSI, I have a "Mental Consultation" with the drs on the 29th of Oct.  I've heard that it takes 6 mos of more and that it was difficult to qualify for SSI.  I'm still in the process of applying for LTD with my company.  I'll let you know how that turns out as well.  I think it will be harder to qualify with my company than the state.

How many MM survivors return to work?

Take care!
Lee (aka lsuvia)  Wink

IP Logged

LisaH
Senior Poster

Be thankful in all circumstances

ArlingtonHts, USA, usa, 358, 120, IL, Illinois
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 4:40am

Lee,

Check out some info I just put in "Patient Resources" section regarding Shan's question about Social Security Disability.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Lisa

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost

IP Logged

Joan
New Poster

Oronoco, USA, usa, 317, 96, MN, Minnesota
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 9:16am

I have been on disablility since June 2004, I had to be evaluated by a shrink to see if I was disabled enough before I could get it.  You can't apply until you have been disabled for 5 months.  I got sick in Dec. 2003, and recieved my first SSI check in July 2004.

Joan King

IP Logged

tomg
Experienced Poster

West and wewaxsation at
wast. What I crave.

HowellNJ, USA, usa, 499, 119, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 11:21am

Roll EyesAloha Shan,

I just started collecting LTD after 3+ years of collecting nothing Smiley.   My advice is to do what ever they tell you and give them what they want.  The amount that you'll get is based  upon the amount of money you made in the past. 
     I was told when I first applied that it would take about 6 months to be approved and that's exactly what it took. 
     They make you work for it but it's worth it in the end.
Take care Shan,  Tom G
Boy Do I wish I was in Hawaii 8)

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 12:02pm

Hi Tom,

Looks like I'm going to have to head back to work...My neuro took a looooong time just signing my last Temporary Disability Insurance (TDI) paperwork and made a comment "You should be ready to go back to work already!?"  I was so worried that he wouldn't sign my forms because of financial reasons and thought, I'd better go and look for a job immediately! (My job ended Sep 30)  Shocked According to my inurance guy, my TDI should last though November

It's been rough because do I feel physically and emotionally ready to return to work? No. I tried to return to work for 1 week and my bp shot up like crazy and my headaches were a little worse that week!  Cry  My neuro increased my bp medication and told me to continue to take extra strength tylenol....  I felt that if he didn't even want to continue to fill out my TDI paperwork, then there is no way that he would support me applying for SSDI!

In fact, my internist just ordered an MRI/MRA on Tuesday because along with my headaches, I started feeling dizzy... Embarrassed  I did find another job, but I had to ask them if I could start next week Monday...and I also have another job interview today.  I'm just so confused and torn right now and feel stuck in between a rock and a hard place.  As you all know, I do have other medical issues which have made my recovery a little more challenging too...

Thanks for your post, Tom.  Congrats on finally getting your LTD!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge