Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headaches (Read 6734 times)
Bethsy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Paw Paw, USA, usa, 385, 113, MI, Michigan
Headaches
Aug 15th, 2004 at 2:58pm

Hi,  I have a 100% occlusion on the right internal carotid.  I have headaches everyday.  How common is it to have headaches and do they go away after surgery?  I have not had surgery yet.
Thanks

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Re: Headaches
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 6:56pm

Yes it is very common to have headaches before and after surgery but after surgery they do seem to stop. Thats what alot of people on this site have documented.
                  Nancy

IP Logged

Laura
Junior Poster

Monroe, USA, usa, 329, 245, LA, Louisiana
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 10:11pm

I have to agree with Bethsy.  I have not had surgery, and I seem to have a headache everyday, almost.  I am SO ready to get rid of these headaches!!!!!  If and when I am able to have surgery, I just HOPE that it will get rid of these!!! That is a very good question, because it is one that I have wondered. Laura Undecided

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 8:59am

When I was first diagnosed, my doc explained the headaches were caused by your brain working hard to get blood to where it needs to get to.  Your brain is compensating and growing those collateral vessels that make up the "puff of smoke."  Have you told your doc yet about these headaches?  Have you talked to your doc about the surgery?? 

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 2:31pm

I always had really bad headaches before surgery. I still get them post-op, but they are not as bad or as frequent.

I think a lot of people have them go away completely. I notice hormonal changes cause them to be worse... Have you noticed that maybe??

Are you having surgery soon?? Take Care. Let us all know how things are going!

Sara

IP Logged

freckles
Junior Poster

Moyamoya Survivor!!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 12:42pm

I'm so confused!!! Smiley

Before my surgery I had not even one headache! Now, after both surgeries I have horrible headaches.

I understand that some of the symptoms that occur before surgery persist afetrwards, but what if you never had them before the surgeries?

These headaches put me out of commission for as long as they last which is another question mark! They only last for about a minute or two, and then they go away. I know they have to be due to something that is mm related because I had them in the hospital after each surgery.

Can someone here relate?

Freckles

WWW moyamoyagrl moyamoyagrl  
IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 1:22pm

I would definately ask your surgeon or nerologist.

IP Logged

CarasMOM
Old-Time Poster

My 11 year old Cara has
MM.

Sedalia, Missouri
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 3:47am

Hi...Cara had ongoing headaches daily...not too long but briefly...after her first surgery...she hasn't complained yet of a single one.   

hugs,  CarasMOM

Warm Hugs and Prayers, CarasMOM (Carol)

IP Logged

Roz
Junior Poster

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 9:24am

Hi Freckles,

Re the headaches that you get that last a minute or so, I can relate to something similar but am not sure if it's the same. I describe them more as a pain than an ache and these particular ones occur when I'm being sick (hardly ever), have coughed a bit too much (eg. something gone down the wrong way) or am feeling generally headachy. The pain is very specific and I can locate on my head where it's coming from. Sometimes it feels like the pain is pulsating but then it just goes back to being an ache/a pain again. Luckily this doesn't happen often to me. I hope that yours go away soon. How long ago did you have your surgeries? I had bad headaches straight after my second lot of surgery but that was only temporary. Have you spoken with your neurologist/surgeon? Hope they can reassure you.

Hi Bethsy,

I used to get headaches quite a bit before I had my surgery done but now that I've had the surgery, they are a lot less frequent and severe. What I have just described to Freckles, I would describe as a rare occurance for me.

Wishing you both well,

Roselyn

IP Logged

Annica
Experienced Poster

My daughter lives with
mm

Stockholm, Sweden, europe, 317, 154
Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 3:01pm

.Hi!

My daughter often gets headaches when overtired or dehydrated. It´s an intense ache around her eyes and forehead and is quickly cured by painkillers and SLEEP and lots of water.  Smiley In the morning she´s fine again but if she doesn´t get enough sleep or gets to bed too late it starts all over again. Tongue

Annica

IP Logged

rdrjudi
New Poster

reading, USA, usa, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 3:16pm

i had this problem a couple of weeks ago the same way in the eyes and forehead and i am getting my second angiogram on the 31st
they were so bad i had to go to the hospital everyday almost a week and they gave me demoral and perkosets im fine now thank goodness ;Grin

Judy

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 7:55pm

I'm not suer if Kathleen has had headaches.I do think she was having them in the mornings before surgery.She used to wake up for so long in the mornigns crying.Not really awake but moaning and whining.It would take her sooooo long to finally completely wake up and settle down.I had no idea it could be anything serious just that she had a tough time waking up "just her way".We had all just become used to it.She never complained of pain. This makes sense though because I believe your blood pressure is lower as you wake up and of course she had had no fluid for over 12 hours at this point. One of ehr strokes was when she was sleeping she woke up and couldn't use her right arm.She doesn't cry anymore in the morning ever since the surgery.Now I only suspect headaches or pain  once in a while. She will cry ( a pain cry)and hold her head. I try to ask her if anything hurts but she can't even answer me.Then she is fine and even laughing.She also will cry like she is in pain when I brush her hair(most of the time not all the time and I am so careful).This could be just her complaining becsause She doesn't want to do it but it sure sounds like a pain cry.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Roz
Junior Poster

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2004 at 11:50am

I used to have the around the eyes and forehead headaches and they definitely lasted more than a minute! I'd usually wake up with them - I used to put it down to my room being too bright and warm in the morning - my bed used to face a window at home and I thought it was because of that esp after the fact that with this kind of headache, I didn't like any light for a while. The more likely reason for these headaches is probably the same that Annica has spoken of (for me anyway) - the lack of sleep and dehydration. I agree, they were nasty headaches and they could last for hours and I wouldn't be able to make any sudden movements with my head. It also set off the pulsating pain that I expalined in my last post. Again though, these were rare and I'm glad to say, I can't remember the last one I had so touch wood, I can forget about them now Smiley Do hope they will disappear in the others that have them too.

IP Logged

Bethsy
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Paw Paw, USA, usa, 385, 113, MI, Michigan
Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2004 at 8:45am

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the replies.  Its nice to know that there are others out there dealing with the same thing.
I just returned from Mayo's.  I had a SPECT scan done.
It should that I have developed good collaterals and that I do not need surgery yet. Smiley
Thanks for the replies.  This is a great group of people.
Beth

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge