Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It's A Baby Girl! Pt 2 (Read 1430 times)
sdl
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

san jose, USA, CA, California
It's A Baby Girl! Pt 2
Oct 6th, 2004 at 10:11am

Laura is moved to a monitored Delivery room by 8:15PM that are usually reserved for at-risk babies vs moms, and hooked up to every piece of equipment they have:
-BP cuff with 15 minute checks
-Pulse Ox monitor
-Contraction monitor
-Fetal heartrate monitor
-IV drip with Saline solution
-IV with some mild narcotic to block some of the pain

At this point her BP is normal range of ~117/77.

After alot of REALLY unhappy moments, 10PM rolls around and they bring in the Anesthesiologist and she is open to being briefed by me on the details of Moyamoya and also listens tothe really sharp RN that was assigned to Laura- she agrees that keeping Laura hydrated is the key and that close monitoring of her BP is critical with an Epi and her condition and acknowledges this is all new to her and no one had clued her in before coming into the room.   Shocked
We are told that any BP in the 80s/below 50 is serious and MUST be corrected.

After a rather difficult process in which the Epi is moved down on Laura's spine since she CAN FEEL THE NEEDLE at the original 'numbed' insertion site (!!!) she is hooked up to yet another IV, this one with Pitocin in it which will up the contract force and is supposed to speed them as well.
They keep cranking up the Pt levels in jumps of 2 ml but after 2-5 contractions of increased intensity and closer spacing Laura's body seems to be ignoring the meds- no idea how that happened since Pt is one serious drug  Smiley
This game goes on from 10:30PM until 3PM on October 4th.

Plenty of fluids are being pumped into her, and a foley to keep her bladder from exploding is done.

Then Laura's BP starts dropping BELOW the mid-90s/60s and Mom gets pretty watchful and anxious  Cry

When it hits 83/49 at 3:ooAM I snap and grab the nurse monitoring the equipment (shift change at 11:30 but she seemed to be listening reasonably well to the details of Laura's case, so not sure why the low level of concern)  and demand that the Anesthesiologist be called and they DO something to correct this ASAP.

Laura is so out of it from the exhaustion and Narc drip I honestly can't tell if the low BP is having some effect I should worry about  Cry

Within a few minutes they rig up yet another Saline drip and the on-call Anesthesiologist shows with a needle full of Neosynephryn (sp?) to jolt up her BP for a bit. He listens with interest to my Moyamoya info, agrees that even without the condition the low BP should have been monitored and corrected earlier and explains that this is a short-term boost only and should do her no harm.

The two OBs assigned show too and do her physical as soon as her BP jumps to the 110s/70s and declare that she is totally ready to deliver and the baby is down pretty far too.

Suddenly the whole room is alive with staff, and they call up to Neurology and Pediatrics to come down; unfortunately, they really did not explain to Peds that it was LAURA who was high risk, not the baby, and Neurology seems equally clueless, and they stand by in Red Alert mode waiting for what they think is a baby in danger.

Well, to leave out all the gory details, the Epi starts to wear off causing severe shakes for Laura, the Neosynephryn starts to fade too, and they fight with forceps to draw the baby down and rotate her as well into the best position.
A big forehead is the problem here, but they finally win the battle and out she comes, while Laura is somewhat bracing herself and trying to help push with not much luck, at 4:12AM October 4th.

Laura's blood pressure is back down to the 90s/50s again but they stop the Epi and keep the fluids coming and it stablizes and gradually climbs as the Epi leaves her system.

The shaking is severe, they are doing some stitching and such, but fortunately she cannot see or feel what is happening.

She later tells me she was never more than mildly zoned by the Narcotic drip, just really tired for the whole long ordeal.

Meanwhile, over in the Peds corner, they have swooped the baby off from Laura immediately and are feverishly checking every inch and response for a good 5-7 minutes, all the while looking very tense and focused.
Since I had gotten a good look at little Kaya just after birth, and both OBs were pleased with her as well, I knew they were just confused and she was fine.
At the end of the exam the all burst into big smiles and promptly handed her off to the nurses that brought her straight to mommy to bond.

After a bit they take her off and do the usualy weigh, measure business and declare her 5# 15.8oz and 19" long, and jsut a mild 'conehead' from the forceps with no bruising.

Laura was a bit 'tired' for all of Monday day and night as well.

By Tuesday she was back to normal in all ways, BP did not climb to full normal until the  afternoon check, and she and complaining about the hospital food.  ;Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge