Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
off to rehab (Read 4972 times)
Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Jasper, USA, usa, 436, 230, GA, Georgia
off to rehab
Jul 10th, 2005 at 8:47am

Michelle,
            Its an 8 week program. She'll get intense physical, ocupational and speach therapy for 2 weeks to see if she can pay attention enough to benefit from the program because she has a really big problem on attention and focusing if she can she will stay 6 more weeks. Most people just go into it and do it for the 8 weeks, you can go back if you want to also. The people that are in much better shape but have still recieved some type of set back due to brain injury train to see what type of job they can do with they're new disability, you actually train there for the job. You can go there for a year to learn a trade. They also have dances and fun activity and take field trips and all kinds of stuff, if you get  ss diability its free funded by the state. Its a brain injury program weather it be strokes, an accident birth whatever. Any more questions let me know. We wouldn't have known anything about it if we hadn't gone to a stroke support meeting and the people told us....they also told us about the program she goes to 4 days a week for brain injuries, she loves it there, 6 hours each day.

IP Logged

MichelleB
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Redlands, USA, usa, 51, 202, CA, California
Re: off to rehab
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 1:09am

What a great deal.  I am so tired of going to therapy that we really want to find a program that would be really intense and see what else he can do.  How do I find out about this in our area?  It has been almost 2 years since surgery and I remember talking to you a long time on the phone and I think we are in the same boat.  He is still pretty dependent on me and I need to start letting go.  I think he would do so much better if I wasn't so afraid he would get hurt.  Thanks,Michelle

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 11:06pm

Michelle,
           Go to Drs in your area........dept. of rehabilitative services, or call they will tell you what is offered and do the paper work to get it on its ways they are super helpful, they do all the leg work.
                  Nancy

IP Logged

MichelleB
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 12:33am

Thanks Nancy!  I will see what I can do.  MIchelle

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 9:32am

Don't know that Mandy's fairing so well at rehab she keeps falling asleep during her second therapy she has them back to back...phys. and occup. I'm thinking she's only gonna last 2 weeks but thats o.k. at least she will get those 2 weeks then maybe another 2 weeks in Ga. at they're facility. She is trying her best and I can't ask for more than that especially after everything the poor kids been through.
                                    Nancy

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 8:43pm

Mandy has made it 2 more weeks in the rehab she can stay until August 12th, I can't believe it she is working hard and her foot that she drags is already getting better. They are using some type of deep heating ultrasound and stretching it, it seems to really be helping the P.T. is really encouraged so far. She crashed her electric scooter they gave her to use into the speach guys desk Shocked so they gave her the boot off of it...thats my girl never a dull moment, we were cracking up when she told us.....of course no one got hurt, I warned them. Keep you updated.
          Nancy

IP Logged

CarasMOM
Old-Time Poster

My 11 year old Cara has
MM.

Sedalia, Missouri
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2005 at 5:08am

Nancy...thats GREAT !!!!  When I read your first post....reminded me of Cara's OT and PT the five weeks between surgeries...due to her stroke the night after surgery and was unable to use her right side (facial, arm, hand, leg...etc)....she kept falling asleep as OT and PT were back to back, too....but she got stronger and stronger...we even spaced them apart, made one little easier ...like doing relaxing stuff...her attention span was next to none...has come a long way attention span wise.  I right away asked the therapists if she had something like ADD ...as we have two sons who do.  The more I researched about ADD...it says that trauma to the brain can cause it, too.   But I am impressed how far she has come.  Another interesting thing...I take tons of pictures...and Cara simply has trouble looking at the camera long enough...so I tell everyone to be patient while I work with Cara from behind the camera telling her to look at Mom, relax your eyes...etc....getting better but still a struggle for her.  She will start speech therapy again when school starts.

Thats GREAT that Mandy is continuing with the sessions and hanging in there...will keep her in our prayers.

Smiley CarasMOM

Warm Hugs and Prayers, CarasMOM (Carol)

IP Logged

MichelleB
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2005 at 12:45am

HI Nancy, I was curious if Mandy is still receiving botox in her arm?  I  didn't seem to notice that great results in my husband.  We tried it three times and gave up.  Wanted to get your opinion.  Thanks, Michelle B

IP Logged

Nancy_N.
Old-Time Poster

My daughter Mandy Has
Moyamoya

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2005 at 11:11am

No stick with it Mandy's hand is much much better when she's relaxed her hand is open at least 3/4 of the way if not more, it has helped her tremendously it takes time initially to see results because it is so curled up. It helps if during the day you or he can try to uncurl it if its at all loose enough yet, it may not be. My advise is stick with it, it just takes time. Mandy can also lift her elbow as high as her shoulder on her own and I can lift it even higher to wash under. She can slightly move a couple fingers the physical therapist told me, and I know she can move her wrist up and down all from the Botox. If you stop it does go back to the start it will start to slowly reverse. Mandy went 8 weeks or something a while ago and her hand couldn't even be pulled open. She has been getting Botox for I guess about a year and a half now. I would stick with it if I were you, you just have to be patient we thought the same thing its not working...but it will. Good Luck!
                    Nancy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge