Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scars of Life... (Read 4609 times)
Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Scars of Life...
Sep 16th, 2005 at 10:40am

When I first read this, it reminded me of Michelle's recent post "A beautiful story for all the beautiful women" as this too makes references to "scars", so I wanted to share... I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.   Smiley Shan
(Note: I want to respect those who share a faith other than a religious one and would like to forewarn you that this story does make reference to God/faith, etc.)

Scars of Life...

Some years ago on a hot summer day in south Florida a  little boy decided to go for a swim in the old swimming hole behind his house. In a hurry to dive into the cool water, he ran out the back door, leaving behind shoes, socks, and shirt as he went. He flew into the water, not realizing that as he swam toward the middle of the lake, an alligator was swimming toward the shore.

His father, working in the yard, saw the two as they got  closer and closer together. In utter fear, he ran toward the water, yelling to his son as loudly as he could. Hearing his voice, the little boy became alarmed and made a U-turn to swim to his father. It was too late.  Just as he reached his father, the alligator reached him. From the dock, the father grabbed his little boy by  the arms just as the alligator snatched his legs. That began an incredible tug-of-war between the two. The alligator was much stronger than the father, but the father was much too passionate to let go. A farmer happened to drive by, heard his screams, raced from his truck, took aim and shot the alligator.

Remarkably, after weeks and weeks in the hospital, the  little boy survived. His legs were extremely scarred by the vicious attack of the animal. And, on his arms, were deep scratches where his father's fingernails dug into his flesh in his effort to hang on to the son he loved.

The newspaper reporter who interviewed the boy after his trauma, asked if he would show him the scars. The boy lifted his pant legs. And then with obvious pride, he said to the reporter, "But look at my arms; I have great scars on my arms, too. I have them because my dad wouldn't let go."

You and I can identify with that little boy. We have scars, too. Not from an alligator, but the scars of a painful past. Some of those scars are unsightly and have caused us deep regret. But some wounds are because God has refused to let go.  In the midst of your struggle He's been there holding on to you. The Scripture teaches that God loves you. You are a child of God. He wants to protect you and provide for you in every way. But sometimes we foolishly wade into dangerous situations not knowing what lies ahead. The swimming hole of life is filled with peril.  We forget that the enemy is waiting to attack. That's when the tug-of-war begins.  
But if you have the scars of His love on your arms, HEAD, legs, etc...be very grateful.  He did not--and will not--ever let you go.
Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2005 at 10:02am by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Re: Scars of Life...
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 11:32am

That was beautiful.I'm in tears right now.Tears I guess of joy.The joy of being reminded that we're not all alone.
Mary and Kathleen

rgrace5  
IP Logged

tomg
Experienced Poster

West and wewaxsation at
wast. What I crave.

HowellNJ, USA, usa, 499, 119, NJ, New_Jersey
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 11:40am

Cheesy
     Beautiful!! Shan!  I loved it,  I believe it! and I needed it! Wink

God Bless You! All  Tom G. Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 5:45pm

Thanks I have printed this out and I'll read it when I get in my depressive slide and I hope it will pick me back up and out of that downward slope knowing I touch by Him and He does still care.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 6:34pm

Mary and Kathleen, Tom and Becky..

So glad you enjoyed it.  I know the story wasn't exactly about scars from medical situations like ours, but nonethess, they are scars...and I wanted to share this  Smileywarming story...Glad you liked it. ;Grin

Enjoy,
Shan
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2005 at 6:35pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

babyblue
Senior Poster

Diagnosed 2003

kennesaw, USA, usa, 417, 219, GA, Georgia
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 1:50pm

Im in tears too. Thank you Shan for sharing. I love these kind of stories!!!

Christy

"Life is not a desination, but a journey!"

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 8:30am

I loved that story too, Shan!  When I tell people about my surgery I tell them I have 2 badges of courage!  (Or battle scars??!!??!!)

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

riosdallas
Junior Poster

Life is an Opportunity
That we benefit from

Templeton, USA, usa, 510, 83, MA, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 10:46am

Shan,
So Beautiful!!!!! I cried  and really enjoyed it. It came at the time I needed it.    Thank-You !!!!   MM friend Lena

IP Logged

Sara
Experienced Poster

I am 15 years post-op
and loving life!

Houston, USA, usa, 291, 279, TX, Texas
Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 5:46pm

Shan!

Thanks, that was tear provoking. I sent it to my husband who just had double pypass heart surgery... talk about a scar.. Actually, it isn't too bad, but I think he is self contious.

Thanks again!

SARA

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 11:04pm

Christy, Shari, Lena, Sara,

So glad you too enjoyed the "Scars for Life..."  When I first read it, it also touched my  Smiley as I could relate to it.  I have a somewhat big scar from my surgery (you can see in the MM family album, page 4), so it's kinda hard to forget that I have it.

I tried wearing a wig to church once, but it made my head hurt even more.  As you know, wigs have to be tight around the edges, and I think I could've done more damage to my graft, so I stopped wearing it.  I also used to wear bandanas a lot.  (I think I've got one in every color now..) But since doing my interviews on the local 6 oclock news, I figure, if everyone didn't see me by now...then oh well!  My hair has grown back a little (a couple of inches), so I just look like I had a really bad hair cut. ;Grin  hee hee.

Plus, I don't mind people asking me what happened, as I want to spread the word about moyamoya.  It was just hard for me to handle those that just starred at me, mumbled something to their friends and didn't say anything to me directly.  Oh well....so is life.  ;Grin

Take care,
Shan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge