Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finding My Passion (Read 5081 times)
Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Fredericksburg, USA, usa, 474, 157, VA, Virginia
Finding My Passion
Sep 23rd, 2005 at 11:08am

Finding My Passion

By Mary Lyn Miller

I know a lot about passion because in the process of living, I lost it, but in the process of dying, I found it again.

My life was about three things: pleasing, proving and achieving.  I thought that if enough people liked me, I would feel better about being me.  I wanted desperately to please everyone . . . family, bosses, neighbors, people I didn't like.  It hardly mattered who they were; other people's approval and validation were the source of my self-esteem.  "Looking good" was my daily regime, and I was incredibly good at it.  I continually quested for greater and greater accomplishments because those proved my value to the outside world.

This thinking affected the entire fabric of my life.  My work was a series of long hours, proving my dedication and making sure I never offended anyone.  I made impossible promises that were hard to keep because I was afraid to say no, which added untold amounts of stress.  By constantly reacting to outside circumstances rather than taking charge of my life, I felt victimized and I lived in fear that "they" - whoever "they" were - would suddenly discover I was incompetent.  The fact that I was the youngest woman in my company to hold an executive position and became director of corporate communications while still in my mid-20s did not assuage my concern.  Nothing soothed my self-doubt.

The only solution I knew was to try harder, work longer, achieve more.  I just knew I'd be happy when I did the right thing.  I left the corporate world knowing that being independent would change everything.  Ironically, I became a career consultant and taught people how to look good and be aware of what others expected of them.  I knew all about that.

Of course, I was still a people-pleaser and took lower fees because I feared no one would use my services.  Instead of being driven by the demands of a boss, I was driven by the demands of my clients.  I couldn't understand why I was financially struggling and assumed the answer was to simply make more money. 

So the cycle escalated as I decided to increase my marketing and promotion efforts even more.  When I burned out and grew discontented with no improvement in my income, I decided there was something intrinsically wrong with me and embarked on a campaign to fix it.  I went to classes, lost weight and joined personal-growth groups.  I was still empty.

So it went . . . my life of pleasing, proving and achieving.  What did it get me?  Tired.  Broke.  Emotionally depleted.  And terribly afraid.

Then in 1986, the awakening came. I discovered I had bladder cancer and the prognosis looked bleak because my symptoms could be traced back for three years.  My doctor had the bedside manner of a blacksmith and was not gently encouraging.  In my first surgery, he removed the largest tumor he had ever taken from a bladder and announced we would be doing another surgery in 10 to 12 weeks "to see what was left."  This is a fun guy.

The cancer changed my life forever.  I made a decision to live, and that had a number of implications.  I gained immediate clarity about what was important and began focusing on becoming well.  I changed my diet, discovered herbs, explored holistic healing and learned what it meant to take care of myself.

Most important, I began asking the question: Who am I and what am I doing here?  Previously, my concern was: What does everyone else want and how can I make them like me?  I shifted from being involved with the changing demands of the outside world to focusing on what was in my heart.  This was not an easy process, since I had spent my whole life looking outside for answers.  I was so accustomed to ferreting out what other people wanted from me, I had no idea who I was.

I realized that my life totally lacked passion . . that zest for living, that sense of joy, creativity and spontaneity that truly comprises life.  Suddenly faced with possible death, I knew I had never really lived.  In fact, there had been no "life" in my life.  As a result of this awareness, passion became my reason for living.  I committed myself to it wholly and completely!

No, I had no idea what it meant.  I just knew that my daily purpose was to get up and do something passionate each day.  I walked on the beach, discovered I love rollercoaster rides, took fun classes that wouldn't make me a "better" person and read books I had wanted to read for years.  I made a list of things I wanted to do before I died (whenever that might be) and as I did them, the list just grew.  Enthusiasm, excitement and fulfillment were ends in themselves.  I wanted to fully experience and live every moment I had left.  I could wait no longer.

I felt more positive and hopeful.  It took less energy to produce better results.  I allowed myself to be uncertain about how my future was going to unfold; I just continued exploring and expressing my passion on a daily basis.  I now know the sheer force of this commitment produced miracles.

By now, my business was shut down, I had no money coming in and no one was interested in hiring a terminally ill patient.  But some of my old clients began calling and asking if I would do career coaching in my home.  Heaven knows, nothing else was happening, so I said yes, but my consulting took a new turn.  I talked about the cancer and my commitment to living a passionate life; I thought they might want that, too.  Indeed, many wanted to hear more, and I began conducting groups.  By the end of the first year working in my living room, I discovered I had seen more people and made more money than I had any other year in my career.  After all those years of working and trying so hard, it was that simple.  What a revelation!  I knew I had stumbled onto something that could work for anyone who embraced it.

The other major miracle is that I have been cancer-free since 1987.  My doctor is stunned by my recovery.  When I have my annual checkups, he always comments on how well I have healed.  Apparently, there are not even any remaining indications of the surgery.  Is this the result of a commitment to passion?  While I cannot prove it to you, I don't doubt it.  I believe passion is the strongest force in the universe and that it is a magnet for all one's good—happiness, power, joy, abundance and health.  You know how exhilarating it can be to be around a group of passionate people.  It produces a euphoric energy.  Like running, it creates endorphins in the brain.  Endorphins boost and protect the immune system.  Cancer is a disease of the immune system, so why couldn't passion heal it?

For me, the process of dying brought great relevance to living.  Today I bring as much life to living as possible.  It has also become my livelihood.  I built an organization called The Career Clinic, which has helped well over a thousand people heal their relationship with work through discovering their passions and purpose in life.  Passion is not for the lucky or the talented; it is the fire waiting to be ignited in every soul.

Through cancer, I received the gift of life.  Now I get to give it away by speaking and teaching, and do so with great gratitude and joy.

Ummm....Jill.....I think this was trying to speak to you and me in some way or another.  As soon as I read it, I thought of us.  It sure did get me to thinking.  Smiley   Maybe we should be doing some brainstorming now. 

Michelle

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Re: Finding My Passion
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 11:29am

Amen!

Michelle,

That was very  Smileywarming.  It absolutely touched my  Smiley and spirit in a special way.  As of today, I truly want to work on my own personal sense of "passion."  After surviving thyroid cancer, I truly thought that would be the toughest and most challenging time in my life...but I was proven wrong in May of this year, when I was diagnosed with MM.  I, along with family and friends couldn't believe it.  Also, not to go into too much details, I have my first appointment with an oncologist/hematologist next week for work-up.  This emotional and physical roller-coaster seems "never ending" for me...but I'm trying my best to stay strong (on the outside at least), and be an example to my son, husband, family and dear friends.  Yet inside I'm just torn apart...and wonder how much more can I endure... Smiley

Thank you, once again, for this very inspiring message on "Finding My Passion."  Looks like this is exactly what I need to do...TODAY!  ;Grin  I truly appreciate it and will share it with others...

Take care,
Shan
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005 at 11:55am by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 11:55am

Survivor...by Destiny's Child

"I'm a survivor
I'm not gon' give up
I'm not gon' stop
I'm gon' work harder
I'm a survivor
I'm gonna make it
I will survive
Keep on survivin'

After of all of the darkness and sadness
Soon comes happiness
If I surround myself with positive things
I'll gain prosperity..."

I know this song by Destiny's Child talks about surviving a relationship; however, the words IMO can be related to anything...it's all about, what they say, Survivin'....!!!

http://www.danceage.com/listen/393-Destiny-27s-Child-863-Survivor.php

Take care,
Survivin' Shan  Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005 at 11:56am by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:36pm

Oh Michelle, this really touched me . . . what a beautiful passage, and thank you for sharing it.  I understand why you felt it was speaking to us!

I wasn't one who was personally "blessed" with MM (except for through Tara and now all of you), but I think the road to now was paved by the hemolytic anemia I had almost 4 years ago.  I was in big trouble by the time I admitted something was wrong and dragged myself to the doctor.  The hematologist was surprised I was still walking (probably just my stubborness), and I was immediately admitted to the hospital for a blood transfusion.  Didn't realize at the time how dangerously close I was to not pulling through.  The experience provided an insight to life that most people don't have until they travel a similar road.  I was reminded that we can be very strong, but are occasionally given reminders that we're still mortal beings and therefore need to rely on things like our faith!

Anyway, I'm ready to brainstorm, Michelle!  Thanks again for sharing a piece of your  Smiley!

Big hugs,
Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:58pm

Hi Michelle,

What a lovely story.  I too can relate as I am a 7 year kidney cancer survivor.  It wasn't until I watched the movie "Shawshank Redemption" and Morgan Freeman said "You can get busy living or you can get busy dying" that I had this revelation to stop feeling sorry for myself and to stop being depressed and do something about it and felt Morgan Freeman was speaking to me. I realized we should live every day as though it is our last. We should tell our friends and family how much we appreciate and love them and help our fellow man.  I remember after first being diagnosed with Kidney Cancer the sky was blue and I mean really blue and the grass was green and I mean really green and the flowers smelled oh so fragrent.  It was the simple things in life I took for granted and never really appreciated or enjoyed but no longer.  It is a shame that it takes a major disease to sometimes make us aware of the simple things in life and how much they mean to us and yet somehow, we just couldn't see it.  I think of how much time we waste because we think we have to be one way or are expected to do certain things.  I like to say this isn't dress rehersal, this is the real thing. Live each day as though it where your last.

Today, I speak to cancer patients, medical students and volunteer for the American Cancer Society and am especially passionate about Comics for a Cure. "Laughter sets the spirit free". Always follow your heart.  Sometimes easier said than done.

Again, thanks for a true passion story from a real person.

Hugs,

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 2:16pm

Jill,

Thank you for openly sharing your experience with all of us.  I do have a question regarding your transfusion.  I'm trying to find out more info as a recent procedure was canceled due to an overwhelming concern about too much bleeding... The radiologist suggested having the procedure done in the OR, but my surgeon was concerned that I'd definitely need a transfusion.  My other doctor also mentioned that a transfusion may be needed.  My first though was, if the OR provides a safer environment, then why not just go ahead and do it there and have a transfusion, but I was told transfusions aren't recommended... I'm still trying to find out more information why.  I'm sure in this day and age transfusions are much safer.  If you don't mind, could you provide more insight on transfusions and what you know/heard about it since you've experienced it first hand?

Take care,
Shan

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 12:08am

Shan,

Unfortunately, I can't offer much in the way of information for you.  My situation happened so quickly - the hospital I was admitted to was across the street from the hematologist/oncologist's office.  I was told in no uncertain terms that I was to go straight there, and not to go home in between.  Consequently, there was no time for research or any consideration.  (In my case though, there were no other options.  I definitely would have died without new blood.)

Blood transfusions are much safer than they used to be.  I believe that, though small, the biggest risk is having an allergic-type of reaction to the transfused blood.  This can happen even if it is matched and typed correctly.  The risk of infection is fairly minimal.

I'm sure whatever recommendation your doctor is making is based on what's best for you.  Hard to compare as (as you know) each patient's circumstances and needs are different.

Good luck,
Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 1:15am

Aloha Jill,

Thank you for your reply.  I have an appointment with an oncologist/hematologist next week, so I'll find out more then.  Until then, I'm going to continue to look up as much as I can on the web.  I understand what you said about not having much time to research it...as that's how my MM basically went.  I knew that I wanted Dr. Fukushima to review my films and do my surgery if needed, but everything happened so quickly that when I was finally diagnosed with MM by my THIRD opinion here in Hawaii, I basically had less than 72 hours to get to North Carolina and not much time to "google" online.  In fact, I didn't join all of you until after my surgery...Nonetheless, I am so thankful I found all of you.

Thank you again for your continued support...

Take care,
Shan

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 8:29am

Gosh I read that through many tears.You see my 18 yr old daughter is so  like this.She lives to look "good" to others.She is a beautiful  smart,funny, and caring,young girl,but what she sees is something totally different.This has taken over her life and she is battling with an eating dissorder.She sees in the mirror a fat person and at one point she was  under 100 lbs.She feels that her life will be perfect if she looks perfect and is thin.I think I will have her read this.I know it won't change her life it will take much more than that.She's working so hard at trying to get through this, she actually gets tired of feeling this way. She started college this month and with that comes so much stress.The hardest are the social stresses.Trying to fit in without "drinking" and "partying"Thanks for sharing this....
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge