Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flying a Kite (Read 2057 times)
Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Fredericksburg, USA, usa, 474, 157, VA, Virginia
Flying a Kite
Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:05am

Flying A Kite

By Vicki L. Kitchner

Her skin was the color of rich, hot chocolate and her brown eyes twinkled with intelligence and humor.  Her name was Michelle and she spent her days in a purple wheelchair because she had been born with Cerebral Palsy.  She rolled into my classroom — and my heart—when she was just three years old.  Her courage was an inspiration to me and her spirit touched my heart.

Michelle and her mother once gave me a figurine of a beautiful black child sitting in a wheelchair.  I displayed the cherished gift on a shelf in my den at home.  It always reminded me of the little girl I loved so much.

When Michelle was seven, she was to undergo open-heart surgery for the third time.  The night before surgery, I sat in the chair beside her bed and held her hand.

“I’m tired, Bicki,” she said weakly.

“Why don’t you close your eyes and try to get some sleep?”

“No, not sleepy.  Tired.”

I thought of the tiny, imperfect heart that had to work so hard, the grand mal seizures, terrible headaches and tight, spastic muscles that made her every move difficult and painful.  I was heart-broken at the wisdom of the little soul who understood the difference between sleepy and tired at such a young age.

“Will I go to Heaven soon?”

I placed my hand on her forehead, “I don’t know, that’s up to God.”

She glanced at the stars through the window of her room.  “How will I get all the way up there?  An airplane?”

“No, God will send a special angel to show you the way.  You won’t have to take your wheelchair or your leg braces or any of your medicine because you won’t need any of that in Heaven.  You’ll be able to run and play just like your brother.”

Her eyes filled with hope.  “Do you think I could fly a kite?”

I swallowed a tear and smiled, “I’m sure if you ask God for a kite, he would find one for you.”

“Oh, I hope so Bicki!”

It was very early in the morning while I was doing my prayer time when the figurine of Michelle, for no apparent reason, fell from my bookshelf to the floor.  The impact of the fall separated the figure of the girl from the wheelchair.  I was devastated and vowed to have it repaired.  Later that same day, Michelle’s mother called to tell me that her daughter’s heart had simply stopped beating and she had peacefully slipped away in the early hours before dawn.

I have since thrown the ceramic wheelchair away and the little girl sits on the edge of the shelf with her legs dangling over the side.  She’s smiling toward the sky.  I always think of Michelle on warm, windy days.  I imagine her running through the clouds with a kite dancing above her!

Just thought I would share this story.  It reminded me of when my dad passed away.  We had family and friends over including our pastor for coffee and snacks the night of my dad's passing.  At some point during the evening, we heard something fall and thought it was a coffee cup or ice from the ice maker on the refrigerator.  Oftentimes, ice would get stuck and then melt a little and drop to the floor.  After surveying the area, I noticed what had caused the sound we heard.  My mother had a collection of ceramic angels on a bookshelf.  One of the small angels that held a mandolin in it's hand had fallen onto its back, exactly the way I had found my dad when he passed away.  He had been outside mowing and was laying in the grass outside when I got home after work one day. 

The preacher looked at us and said if that's not a sign from God, then I don't know what would be.  This was very comforting to my family to know that we knew our dad was ok in heaven and that he was surrounded by sweet melodic music of a mandolin.  God sure does have a way of giving us signs of things we need to know.  Smiley

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Re: Flying a Kite
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:26am

Michelle,

Wow.  What a  Smileywarming story.  Thank you for sharing it with us.  Even though the little girl "Michelle" left this earth, we know she was ready, and there was a greater purpose for her elsewhere, and therefore God called her to return home with Him once again...

This reminds us that we are all here just temporarily...and that when it is time for us to leave here, all of our medications (i.e. aspirin, seizure meds, etc), MRI's, CT's, Angio's...will NOT be needed.  

On that note, I want to thank the MM.com family for all the support, comfort and guidance that all of you have and continue to provide me.  It's sad to hear when another has fallen victim to this disease, yet together, we can reinforce each other's strength to fight and persevere!  Smiley

Great way to start my morning.

Take care,
shan
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:32am by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 3:13pm

Michelle,

You always find the most wonderful and beautiful stories to remind us that everyday is a gift and that life is precious and fragile.

It must have been very traumatic for you to come home and find your father had passed while mowing the yard. How wonderful to receive a sign that your father is okay. God works in mysterious ways.

Thanks again for sharing such a lovely story.

Hugs,

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:07pm

Michelle,

I don't know if you've read Suzanne's posting "Prayers for Ann's family please..." but I think your story about "Flying a Kite" couldn't have come at a better time.  I am anxiously awaiting to hear from Suzanne if it is the Ann that I knew and was corresponding with and can hardly wait for her response!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  There's so much emotions going through my head...much anxiety.

Anyway, I immediately thought of this wonderful story you posted that I read earlier this morning, and after reading it a second time, it still brought about a sense of calmness to me.  How ironic..how appropriate..what timing...

Of course, I'm hoping that Suzanne isn't referring to my dear friend Ann; however, we do know that someone did lose a mother, daughter, wife, friend, etc...but one day we'll all meet together again...

Thanks, again, Michelle...for sharing this story.

Take care,
Shan
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:09pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge