Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trina at Stanford (Read 15335 times)
gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Trina at Stanford
Oct 26th, 2005 at 5:28pm

Hey Trina,

Can't wait to see you - isn't it just 3 weeks away?

Smiley, Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Re: Trina at Stanford
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:34pm

Hi Trina,

Please be sure to keep us posted on your upcoming visit to Stanford.  I know you'll do just fine. Remember to behave yourself and try not to check out the dr's okay? hee hee  Smiley  Hey, since you're heading west, you might as well continue on over the Pacific ocean and come and visit us too....we'd love to have you! ;Grin I can get the luau ready...lots of Mai Tai's and Blue Hawaii's...with some fresh raw octopus (Tako poke)! Yummie!

Wish I could be there with you...You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for great news during your follow-up. Safe travels...

Take care,
Shan
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:40pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 10:39am

Hey all!

Yes Jill, a couple of weeks away and we'll be in Sunny California!  I think I'll be just missing Shane and Michelle when they are there, and Kevin and David won't be able to do their follow up at the same time Sad  but I'm hoping to spend time with you and anyone who can make it (Tere said David and her might come up that Sat).  I've saved the 19th for hanging out with you all, let me know if you'll be free or if we can get the gang together there! 

Shan, Mai Tais, yes!!  Octopus, no.  Smiley  I tried that 13 years ago when I was in Japan.  With all due respect, talk about eating rubber!     Smiley

I'd love to come to Hawaii...some day, hopefully soon.  I promise not to be so overtly checking out the doctors at Stanford, while under Xenon especially.  And well, now that we know Dr. Dodd is unavailable (my insider at the hospital has confirmed this.  Sad  ), I'll have to find other means... whoever said the hunt for a man is the fun part was wholeheartedly WRONG. 

Shall keep you all updated!

Trina

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:05pm

Trina,

You make me laugh!! Smiley You should do stand-up comedy.  Really!

Kevin and I are bummed that we won't be at Stanford at the same time as you are there. We would really like to see you again. Is your mom and dad going to be with you? I would very much like to see them again as well. Please sya Hi to them from me and kevin.

We are equally as bummed not to be with Michelle and Shane and not to see Tere and David again. I was soooo hoping we could have a mini reunion and go to Chili's!!!

Have fun checking out the docs while at Stanford. lol
Keep me posted on your results and your hunt for Mr. Right. You crack me up! Smiley

Hugs, Smiley

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

has Moyamoya

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 10:10am

Trina,

How's your follow up at Stanford going?

How's the testing going? Smiley

Have you seen Dr. Dodd? Smiley

Are you behaving yourself? Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley I over did it with the "green guy" as I know how much you like him.

Let's see, it's 10:00 AM in Ohio so it is 7:00 AM in California, where's breakfast? Smiley

Let me know how it is going and how you are doing. I want ALL the details.

Hugs Smiley

Lore

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Fredericksburg, USA, usa, 474, 157, VA, Virginia
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 9:19pm

Hey Trina,

I hope your tests are going well.  I'm glad you got to see Shane before you left.  He is continuing to do really well, but misses California.  I know he had wished he could be there while you went through your follow-ups.  Please keep me up-to-date about how your doing out there.  Tell your mom and brother I said hello.  And give Dr. Dodd a big hug from me.  LOL!

Michelle

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:18am

Hi guys!

We're so glad we got to meet up with Shane (at Chili's no less!).  We had a nice time hanging out - my brother thought he was very phunny.  I'm so glad he reached home safely.  My mom and brother are here with me, and they told me to tell you both hello. 

So far, no Dr. Dodd sighting.  I'll be on the hunt today (and knowing me, I'll stammer to say hello and totally drop the opportunity  Smiley).  

We got here on Thursday and went straight to the hospital for my first SPECT scan with Diamox.  We thought the Diamox would be Fri but it was Thu.  Diamox didn't bode well with me so they held me over (I think b/c I had 8 hours of sleep within the 3 days before that so I was tired, plus jet lag).  I felt better but the resident said the attending wanted to check me but he was at home 30 min away and we weren't stickin' around so we left AMA (against medical advice).  Luckily, I have a physician brother in case anything happened but we thought it was silly hospital protocol.  

Fri was fine with the regular SPECT (we got our much needed sleep) but they told us to come earlier and we did but they kept us waiting for 3 hours.  Needless to say, I practically lost my patience.  I hate it when hospitals don't properly schedule.  I can wait 1/2 hour but anything over that is just plain obnoxious, esp. when they are telling you otherwise ('just five more minutes, just five more' - yes this went on for three hours).  

The weekend was nice and relaxing - we had the gathering on Sat and we went to Napa Valley as a family yesterday.  It was lots of fun - my mom and brother had never been, so it was a cool experience.  

So today is Xenon (in about an hour) and my appt. with Dr. Steinberg (oh, and neuropsych).  Will keep you all updated on Dr. Dodd sightings!!

Smiley

Missing you here!

Lots of hugs,
Trina
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:23am by tiomasai »  

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 9:56pm

Hi Trina,

Sorry to hear about the long wait you had the other day.  I hope you're behaving yourself with the docs/residents!  Wink  hee hee...  Please know that I'm thinking and praying for you...  Keep us posted on your progress!

Take care,
Shan

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 10:40am

Ok, follow up shmallow up - first the REAL news.  

Michelle, are you sitting down?

So, I had my Xenon CT Scan on Monday AM.  Went fine (very cute doctor but also married, I swear all the good ones are taken).  Then I had my appt. with Dr. Steinberg in the early afternoon.  Teresa comes in first, and asks what tests I have left.  I mention that I have the angio the next day and jokingly I say, can we request doctors for that? LOL I'm totally kidding.  She says, which doctor?  I said Dr. Dodd of course.  I do remember saying I was kidding, and I thought she knew about Dr. Dodd's fan club, but I don't think she heard me.  She leaves the room and about ten minutes later, she walks in with... yes, Dr. Dodd.  Teresa says that he'll be there for my angio.  My family and I sat there with our mouths wide open, and then started laughing.  

SO, then I'm thinking, do I really want him doing my angio?  This could be weird.  The guy has probably seen me naked on the operating table anyway - so no big deal (talk about a bonding experience).  

Sure enough, the next day at 7am, he was there with Dr. Dic-kson (the other radiology fellow, who is also very cool and from New York!).  We later realize that Dr. Dodd is really there for support.  I thought he was going to switch out with someone but Dr. Dic-kson is really the fellow doing the work.  Dr. Dic-kson goes over all the papers and did all the follow ups after I came out.  Irene also had an angio that day but Dr. Dodd was not there during hers.  We saw Teresa yesterday and she mentioned that he was going to be in the diagnostic radiology lab anyway and when she told him my request, he agreed.  

So I did get some scoop.  Before I went in for the angio, when he and Dr. Dic-kson came down, he chatted with us and I found out he's a fellow CHI-TOWNER!!!!!!  Chicago is still my favorite city in the world, and I told my brother no wonder he's such a nice guy.  Wink   I lived there for 6.5 years so we talked some about the old digs.  

Anyway, it gets even more embarassing (we had mentioned to my dad that Dr. Dodd was doing the angio, even though later we realized that really it was Dr. Dic-kson) so when my dad couldn't get a hold of us, he got a hold of Dr. Dodd at the end of the day when I had been taken to MRI.  He even came down, asked my mom for my dad's number and called him from right there in MRI, when he was not even the primary doctor for the procedure.  

SOOOOOOOO, while I was totally embarassed since we were kidding, it was sooo nice of him to be there and then come down later.  I had conscious sedation during the angio, and I have to tell you, while they were talking to me, I noted that he still has the best bedside manner I have ever seen of a doctor!!!!!!

The bad news is one, I passed out at discharge time so they held me over 2 extra hours.  Dr. Dic-kson and the attending, Dr. Do, came to my rescue, but no Dr. Dodd Sad.  I guess I can't be too demanding can I?  LOL

Two, no picture with Dr. Dodd!!!!!  I should have taken it before the angio.  But I forgot, and Dr. Dodd never came back (except when I was in MRI but I didn't see him then - when my mom told me that he came down, my only question was, did you get a picture?  She of course looked at me crazy).  Tara and I even went roaming the halls of SUMC yesterday hoping for a Dr. Dodd sighting so we can stop him for a picture.  No such luck.   Joann, our wonderful insider, told us she will send a picture so I can superimpose my photo with him.  It's just not the same.  Sad

Well, all that being said, my tests are done.  All looks good.  Dr. Do, Dr. Dic-kson, and Dr. Dodd all said my angio looked great.  Dr. Steinberg also said I was doing great.  Officially, the test results will be looked at at the next case conference (next Monday) and I'll get the official thumbs up next week.  

We leave today for NYC, and I'm actually very sad.  I don't know when I'll return but the weather and people are a wonderful change from NYC.  I have even considered moving out here.  The slow pace compared to the hectic NYC lifestyle is just what I need!  Who knows, maybe I will (although most likely Dr. Dodd won't be here anymore by the time I move out here as he plans to return to Chicago so don't even think that's an incentive!).  

Jill, it was wonderful seeing you, Tara and Campbell!  I can't wait to see you again.  You always have a home in NYC, don't forget.  

Looking forward to 2006 Orlando!  Can we invite Dr. Dodd?  I'm okay with him bringing his girlfriend - then we can subject her to some serious grilling!  Like why aren't they married yet!?!  I mean, she's got quite the catch, what's taking so long?!  I woulda had him wrapped up and on a leash eons ago!  

Smiley Smiley

Trina
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2005 at 12:47pm by tiomasai »  

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

has Moyamoya

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 10:03am

Trina,

I want to start by saying "congratulations" on very good test results! Smiley

Trina, Trina, Trina, I can't believe you actually had Dr. Dodd at your beck and call and didn't get a picture?????? What's up with that? Smiley

The sequence of events while you were at Stanford are a hoot and could only happen to you! Your dad getting a call back from Dr. Dodd in the MRI is too funny. Your dad rates better than you with Dr. Dodd personally calling your dad back in the MRI no less! Smiley I can just see the look on your mom's face when you asked her if she got a picture of Dr. Dodd in the MRI. Smiley

I wish I could have been there with you all. However, it looks like the timing of our return to Stanford may be in January when the snow flies here. Before I knew our return to Stanford would be delayed, I was trying to figure out where to go for some sun and fun while the snow flies. But now, it looks like I can enjoy some California sun in January.  Smiley

I know what you mean about living in California and especially Palo Alto. I loved it while I was out there. However, it is sooooooooo expensive! I keep telling my husband we need to move our house to Palo Alto because it would be worth 7 times in California what it is worth in Ohio. Now if I could only move the 5 acres of woods my house currently sits on in Ohio to California. WOW!!! Cha-Ching!! Smiley

I say invite Dr. Dodd to the reunion in Orlando and leave the girlfriend at home. Smiley

Good to hear from you and glad all is well. Hope to see you soon. I was hoping it would be before the reunion. Who knows, maybe we can meet up after the snow flies in Ohio and NY.

Hugs, Smiley

Lore

IP Logged

Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 5:39pm

Trina,

Thanks for warning me because it sure was a good thing I was sitting down. 

WHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT......Dr. Dodd has a girlfriend????    Smiley  Oh well....guess I'll have to just dream from afar.  LOL!  Maybe we shouldn't move to San Jose and change our plans to move to Chicago????  Oh....and does anyone know when Dr. Dodd is moving to Chicago?  Please let it be after May. 

Ok...so Trina, you are the coolest!   Smiley  Kudos to you for making me laugh so hard that I snorted water out my nose!!!  OMG that was sooooooooooo funny!!! 

Smiley for having good test results.  I'm so happy for you.  Isn't it a big relief?  Shane is feeling really good and healing remarkably.  It's truly amazing.  I guess we'll be back in May for his follow-ups and plus they are still watching the other side. 

Trina, we definitely need to get together soon.  Miss you already and wish that I was able to see you in CA. 

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 12:43pm

You guys are hilarious!  We even got Jill in the mix now, hunting him down for us.  Though my brother says that we've totally made him into a soap opera doctor now, and that he's probably a real dork or something once you get to know him.   Who knows, but I certainly would like to find out.   Smiley

Maybe I'll have to join you guys for your follow ups (Kevin's & Shane's) to continue searching for that photo op (hmmm, maybe I'll add a little job hunt in there while I'm at it!).  If anything, another excuse to party!  Maybe we can get David & Tere to come up again too.  Smiley

Lore, I had hoped to actually meet up with you in/near Columbus during the holidays since we missed each other in CA.  My friend who I mentioned to you works near you just had a baby so I wanted to visit with her as well.  But the short timing is not boding well for me (I'll be working off site in Cleveland as well) so I think it may not work out this time.  Michelle/Shane, we definitely have to meet up again.  We don't live that far apart.  When year end finishes, and work slows down in late January, hopefully we can visit each other.  If anything, like I said, I can always tag along to CA for your guys' follow ups!  And Jill, be sure to always carry a camera to SUMC now!  Wink

Bunches of hugs to all,
Trina
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2005 at 12:46pm by tiomasai »  

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 9:02am

Ok, so I need to see a picture of this Dr. Dodd character!  Smiley Wink ;Grin Wink Smiley

Trina - glad to hear your tests turned out very positive!!

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 9:50pm

Shari:

Here you go!

Trina

http://med.stanford.edu/neurosurgery/education/res-profile.html

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 8:57am

Well hello Dr. Dodd!  Now I see what everyone's talking about!!  Thanks for the link, Trina!

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 10:30am

Hee hee...I hear you, Shari!  Smiley  I was curious myself.  Thanks Trina!  Wink

Take care,
Shan

IP Logged

cherylb
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

staten island, NY, New_York
Reply #16 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 4:39am

Hey Ladies,
         I don't know about Dr. Dodd.  But has anyone seen Trina's brother?  He is also a handsome Doctor.   I know Jill can vouch for me on that one.

cheryl

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 10:57am

Yep, yep, yep !!!

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

has Moyamoya

Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 11:28am

Hi Cheryl and Jill,

I too can vouch that Trina's brother is a handsome, and caring doctor.  He was with Trina when I was at Stanford with Kevin. When Kevin was in surgery and when Kevin was having difficulties, Trina's brother was a great help to both of us with his medical expertise and his positive support with words of encouragement. Of course I can't leave out Trina's mom and dad who were also a great help and support to both me and Kevin and Trina too even though she was having surgery one day apart from Kevin both times and Jill who sat with me through the surgeries.   We are blessed to have such a great MM family.

Don't you wish all doctors could be like Trina's brother and Dr. Dodd? Wow!!

Hugs,

Lore

IP Logged

Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Reply #19 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 12:24pm

I'll have to agree about Trina's brother.   Smiley

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #20 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 7:03pm

Ok, I couldn't stop laughing about this one.  The brother you all see is of course not the brother I see.    Roll EyesSmiley

Yeah, he's smart, he's good looking ... but ... but ... he's a dork!   Smiley  And he's always late (my on going pet peeve with him Wink )!  

No, I'm kidding (not really) but this reminds me of a family friend's daughter who we met up with a couple of years ago.  She and I knew each other but she hadn't seen my brother in ages, since she was like 9 years old (she's now 30 or so).  After having dinner, she apparently went home and told her mom that he's "cool".  I of course had that perplexed look.   Smiley

Seriously, thanks all for the compliments!  Actually he and I look very much alike (if you can't tell it's because he has no hair and I have tons of hair), so if he looks good, that means I look good too!  

I'll pass on your kind comments to him (I'm sure he'll look at me weird because he is very much nonchalant and oblivious to this kind of thing).  Then again, I've been surprised before, as Michelle somehow got him to wear the moya moya band during my surgery (despite declining me to wear it the day before during my tests).   I think it was a momentary surge of emotion.   Smiley  I don't think I could get him to wear it even now.  Sheesh!

Smiley

Trina
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2005 at 11:41pm by tiomasai »  

IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #21 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 11:26pm

So I thought I'd mention to you all that I passed along your comments to my brother.  In typical fashion, his response was 'uh-huh'.  I think he was half asleep as he was in the ER all day today.  Then I repeated myself to which he said unexpectedly replied 'really?  I'll have to check the board out'.  Hmmm...

Anyway, I have to pass on a true, sweet, funny story about my brother, since Lore brought up how caring he is.  I know I've joked a lot about my brother, but the truth is he has a lot of heart.  

Before I moved to NY, I'd call my brother, and get a call back 3 weeks later.  After moving to NY, we became closer as we spent more time together, and I'd call my brother and get a call back a week later (mega improvement!).  In January, as I was having my stroke, I pulled over my car, yet I didn't know what to do.  I was hesitant to call 911.  I had never done so, and wasn't sure what was going on (thought I was having an anxiety attack, so wasn't sure it was worth it to call 911).  I called my brother and as usual, got his voicemail.  Then it hit me - I worried that I was about to pass out and no one would know where I was.  So I called 911.  If you call 911 from a cell phone, it locks.  Meaning, no call waiting, and you have to cancel the 911 (not just by hitting end, but some specific button) before you can accept or make any calls.  While I was on the phone with 911, I passed out.  A few minutes later, I came to, and found my whole right side weak and numb.  

Anyway, the paramedics came (long story short, it took them a half hour as the first ambulance drove right past me), and carried me to the ambulance.  The police came and parked my car to the side for me as I was stopped in an illegal spot.  I finally cancelled 911 while in the ambulance (it hadn't moved - they were still deciding where to take me) .  The phone suddenly rings and it's my brother yelling at me for not picking up the phone.  I can't speak as I have an oxygen mask on, but hand the phone to the paramedic.  She tells him where we're going, and he says he'll meet me there.  

My brother (who has no car) comes out on a train, takes a taxi from the train to the ER (at which point, I'm lying there like nothing ever happened, with about 80% of my right side functionality back) and then takes a taxi to go pick up my car.  As he drives back to the hospital to figure out what to do next, we find out I had a stroke.  We're both stunned.  He then spends the next three hours until midnight, as I ramble on about nothing (this is what I do when I freak out about things), waiting to be admitted to the hospital.  

2 days later, I'm diagnosed with MM, the day after that my parents come to NY, and the day after that, I get discharged and sent home (now Friday).  The funny part is, I finally go home where I can check my voice mails (home, work, and cell) and I have multiple messages on all three from my brother on the monday of my stroke, yelling at me as to why I'm not picking up the phone cuz I just left him that message freaking him out.  

The irony of the situation was the funny part for me.  I was physically unable to answer the phone, not to mention, if you're leaving a voice mail for me, obviously I can't hear it  Smiley.  It made me laugh, but it was obvious that my brother was very upset and concerned (I don't think he's ever called back that quickly!  Smiley).  

I have to say also, my brother is very prompt about returning calls now, usually within a couple of days .  He's never mentioned outright why he does, but something I've noticed as a change since the stroke.  (I also am very particular about not leaving vague messages so as to not freak him out).  

Anyway, sorry so long, but had to share with my mm family...he's a cool cat.  Smiley  Just a little glimpse into the man known as the doctor by day, DJ by night...

Trina
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2005 at 11:43pm by tiomasai »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge