Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
people without surgrey (Read 5113 times)
ivysblue
New Poster

ottawa, Canada, canada, 377, 373
people without surgrey
Jan 23rd, 2006 at 12:28pm

Hi my name is Jennifer , I am 30 years old . I found out I had Moya Moya when I had a major stroke at the age of five that would make it 1981 . I didn't have surgrey back then and surgery wasn't even mentioned to my parents as a option until I was 16 years old . I have only had one stroke . is there anybody who has had Moya Moya for over 25 years and who hasn't had surgery ? After my stroke I had to learn how to walk , talk , I guess you can say I had to start everything over again also I can't use my right hand and I walk with a limp.

ivysblue  
IP Logged

moyamoi
Ex Member

Re: people without surgrey
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 6:39pm

Hi Jennifer,
I had my surgery only 4 years ago so that doesn't help your question. I think there is only a couple of people who had their surgeries a long time ago. I read your post on pregnancy and was a bit taken aback by Mar's harshness but I will say that while I respect it is your right to do what you choose and listen to your body, I would NOT want to risk the possibility of another stroke - ESPECIALLY since a) you already suffered one many years ago AND have residual damage from it and b) you have kids!! I would not be playing with the chance of possible risks when you have kids who need to have you around.

Just my 2cents worth
Moira

IP Logged

ivysblue
New Poster

ottawa, Canada, canada, 377, 373
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 7:16pm

People just don't understand were I am coming from and I do respect that as I respect my choices . I am not trying to say what I did was right or wrong . Back in the early 80's as far as I know here in Ottawa Canada . There was no mention of Surgery . Doctors didn't even consider it . I thought back then there was no hope and no cure for what I had . Still to this day there is no cure . Like I said before I was approached by my Doctor 11 years later saying that there was this surgery but it had its high risks back then ( not today I hear ) but back then there was . I was very uneasy about the surgery thinking I could be worse off if I did this . Even the Doctors were uneasy too because they weren't sure of the surgery either . I have taken great care of myself and proud to say that I have not suffered another stroke or anything like it .Now if people ask me I would say for sure have the surgery . Don't be stupid have it . You guys hopefully understand my views at the time . I wasn't so lucky back then to have great Doctors like today . Would I change the fact that I have this disease NEVER . I live my life like its my last day because seriously who knows when God is going to take you .

ivysblue  
IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 10:16pm

Harshness Moira?? Because I said it breaks my heart to see someone advised to have surgery, say, “I know better than the doctors”, and do nothing?? After I’ve seen what “doing nothing” has done to so many! I’m harsh because I care what happens to people with this disease?? I’ve seen what this disease can do. I’ve watched a loved one almost die and her life ruined, and friends have devastating strokes and even die from “doing nothing.”  MMD can do all that, and yes, it breaks my heart!!  I believe the possible outcome of “doing nothing” when a doctor advises surgery deserves lot’s of prayers! So if you think that’s harsh… I just don't get it! You've provin yourself once more, so I won’t debate this with you any further. Anyone who cares, will understand.

Mar

IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 10:57pm

Moira:  Before this takes a step in the wrong direction, I just want to say that having met Mar, and knowing Mandy's story, I totally understand where she is coming from.  As a result, I think she's just emphasizing the need for Jennifer to rethink her approach, since she has not had surgery and turned it down when it was offered to her.  I think you both seem to agree that given that Jennifer has children and despite that she has not had any visible symptoms, she should look into it further, given that as far as we know, MMD is a progressive disease.  

Jennifer:  I agree that this is your body and you have to trust yourself and your instincts.  But given that you had a serious stroke, and that you have two children, I would strongly urge you to get regularly checked for your blood flow.  Even though you had a stroke over 25 years ago, that does not mean you couldn't have another one.  I don't mean to alarm you, but I didn't know I had MMD until last year (exactly 364 days ago) when I had a stroke out of nowhere (I was 33 years old and apparently had it a good portion of my life).  It was only then that I got varying expert opinions.  In the end, one doctor's comment said it all - 'do you want to have another devastating stroke before you decide to do anything about your MMD?'  That ultimately decided it for me.  Any of the surgeries is not the end all be all - there is no cure for this rare(?) disease as of today.  But the increase in blood flow decreases the risk of stroke tremendously, if not totally.  Because once you have that stroke, the surgery will not help any damage that is already done by it.  

Just something to think about.  I too would be interested in knowing how many haven't had surgery yet, especially after a long time since diagnosis.  I would hope that they hear the message in this post.  

Best wishes to all,
Trina
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2006 at 11:00pm by tiomasai »  

IP Logged

moyamoi
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 1:20am

Thanks Trina for being the peacekeeper Good on you!!
I know where you are coming from Mar i do "get it' but there IS a nice way to go about it and that is what I meant about being harsh! Now I don't wish to debate that point further!
Jennifer: The surgery today is a much better option than maybe it was back then, and as I have proven (thank you Mar) I live a very full and enjoyable life, and do things that I wouldn't have considered doing before as I may not pass this way again and i don't want to live with regrets for not doing anything.

You will find that there are a lot of wonderful people on this site who won't judge you and give you good advise like Tom, Shan, Shari, Emily and of course you Lore.
So please if you have any concerns or answers to your questions, ask away and we will all do our best to find answers for you.
Moira

IP Logged

tiomasai
Experienced Poster

Arriba Arriba!

Queens, NY,
Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 8:36am

Jennifer:

I just want to clarify that I'm not judging you.  This board is a forum where everyone is allowed to give their opinion, as long as they follow the rules of netiquette.  That said, everyone has their own style and judging each other's styles of course gets us nowhere.  We are a tight group here, with various personalities and most of us are accepting of those personalities. 
Having said that, I believe everyone who has responded with their own styles but ultimately the messages are the same - we're concerned for you, only want the best for you, and just think you should reconsider your approach to treating yourself.  Again, these are only our opinions, ultimately it is your choice. 

Welcome to the brady bunch.   Wink 

Best wishes,
Trina

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 9:59am

Brady Bunch?  I thought we were the Cleavers!  (You know, Beaver's family)  Smiley

Anyway, welcome Jennifer!  I know you probably didn't expect to generate the posts you did.  I think we all have the best intentions and mean well, but our different personalities and approach sometimes conflict with one another.  Smiley  This disease has threatened our lives or the lives of the ones we love; therefore, we hold this issue close to our  Smileys.  Moira is an inspiration! She is a prime example of someone who is definitely moving on with her life and not letting this monster take hold of her life! Since being diagnosed and having surgery, she is living her life to the fullest.  

Mar has a niece, who like many of us, was in desperate need of medical attention due to this "rare" disease and came very close to losing her.  In fact, she had a recent scare, but AMEN that her tests brought good news!  ;Grin

Trina, well all I know is that she has the hots for Dr. Dodds. Wink  hee hee...

No, in all seriousness, we all have one common goal...and that is to overcome this beast...and to unite on the forefront...and be there for one another....we shall conquer and overcome........one day Wink.  For now, we have each other and thank God for each new day...

Anyway, back to your situation (sorry, ever since my surgery I noticed I have short-term memory  Wink) My Smiley is what has already been said by Moira.  The risk of you having another stroke scares me.  The risk of myself having another stroke scares me too!  Shocked  I can understand why surgery wasn't an option in the past, but as you can see, things have definitely changed.  We are making progress!  ;Grin  By getting the word out and raising awareness, hopefully MM will get the attention, funding and public and medical awareness it deserves and is desperately in need of!  Cheesy

I encourage you to obtain current opinions.  Maybe you can have recent tests done and send them off for 2nd and 3rd opinions.  They can't hurt anything...  In fact, they could even tell you that you won't even need surgery, but at least your mind will be at rest that you heard that from a medical professional.  Just be sure to seek the advice from MM experts.

I guess that's all for now... Please keep us posted on what you decide.  Hope this helps.

Take care,
Eddie Haskel...oops!  I mean "Shan"
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2006 at 6:52pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

itsme
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

aliso viejo, USA, CA, California
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 6:56pm

Hi Jennifer,

Just wanted to give you my heads up. I was diagnosed when I was 42ish and I must have had it long before because the symptons were there. I just ignored it. Any way I was officially diagnosed at 42 but I held off the surgery till last year.

I thought I would be the SPECIAL ONE that really did'nt NEED THE SURGERY...HAHAHAH on me!

The difference is NIGHT AND DAY for the better. Just knowing I won't stroke out OR have another TIA driving on the freeway makes each day a lot safer for those around me and mainly a peace of mind to myself.

"We live the moment" Jennifer but unfortuately we don't know the NEXT.....

All I want to tell you is MM is like a time bomb and if you
can de-fuse the FUSE, it's not a bad thing.

LOL,
itsme

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge