Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Ads (Read 6349 times)
DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Re: Ads
Nov 14th, 2007 at 10:52pm

MMnewtUt wrote on Nov 10th, 2007 at 6:21pm:
Hey DJ,
    What's with the ads? Undecided

Well, my family is growing... gotta find a way for the site to pay for itself so I'm exploring some options.

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

moyamoi
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 5:02am

Hey Deej,

Just letting you know that whatever you need to do to make this site pay for itself, is just fine by me
Moira

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 8:56am

Quote:
Hey Deej,

Just letting you know that whatever you need to do to make this site pay for itself, is just fine by me
Moira

Thank you Moira, I really appreciate that!!

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Salt Lake, USA, usa, 129, 143, UT, Utah
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 9:31am

Hey DJ,
     I didn't mean any disrespect.  I really hope you weren't offended.  This site is so important to me.  I was just noticing a new thing on the site and thought I would ask.  I am sorry, please forgive. 
                                      Best wishes,
                                         Newt(Natalie)

IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sanford, USA, usa, 465, 285, FL, Florida
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 2:45pm

DJ & NEWT  I  THINK LORI HAS THE RIGHT IDEA !!!!!  THIS SITE IS SO IMPORTANT TO SOoooooo MANY PEOPLE THAT LORI SUGGESTED THAT IF EACH ONE OF US CONTRIBUTED A DOLLAR IT WOULD HELP (OF COURSE I THINK 5 $ WOULD BE A GOOD PRICE) BETTER ALITTLE MORE THAN NOT ENOUGH  Wink

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 12:09pm

Hello everyone,
     I have deleted my initial post about the ads.  If I could go back and never write it at all I would.  I would ask eveyone to forgive my big mouth and dumb brain for being impulsive.  Embarrassed Lips Sealed I think the only good thing to come out of this is we can show our support for DJ and this wonderful site.  Again, I hope everyone can forgive me.   Cry     Newt(Natalie)

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 1:54pm

Hi Nat,

Please don’t be apologetic. You didn’t say or ask anything offensive, IMO. This website is all about questions and learning. You can ask questions all you want here, that’s how and why we’re all so close, and no one gets offended. We’re like family here. No harm in askin’, I always say and no question is too small. Smiley

Mar

IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 2:21pm

Natalie, I agree with Mar. I don't think anyone would have been offended.It was a legit question and it looks like it actually was helpful in alerting us to the fact that we should show our support financially to help oput DJ and his growing family.We've all benifitted from this site and would never want it to become a financial burden to DJ and his family.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 8:59pm

Mar and Mary Grace,
     Thank you for your support! Kiss I guess I just felt stupid. Embarrassed Sad
                            Love, Newt(Natalie)

IP Logged

moyamoi
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 1:31am

Hey DJ,
Why don't you propose an annual subscription to this website? You could make it applicable from the 1st January 2008 so we are all enrolled at the same time, to be renewable yearly. And that way the members get to give a little bit back to help you after all that you have done for us. I don't know how it works in the US but here in Australia, any subscriptions would be tax deductable and maybe qualify for grants from the government into the research aspect. Worth thinking about.
Moira

IP Logged

Lore
MM.com Benefactor

My brother Kevin (Cubbie)
has Moyamoya

Delaware, USA, usa, 419, 133, OH, Ohio
Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 9:13am

Natalie,

Please don't apologize.  You actually got my attention in a positive manner and I realized DJ was looking at options to make the site self sufficient.  That's when it dawned on me that I have benefited greatly from the site and I could help make the site self sufficient by donating.  Sometimes I just need a brick upside the head! LOL!

I didn't notice the PayPal donate button at the bottom of the message board! Duh?  Then I realized I didn't like PayPal so I decided to find another way to donate to the site like mailing my donation instead of using PayPal.

Natalie, this is a positive thing not a negative thing.  Thank you for bringing my attention to the Ads.   

Hi Moira,

Good thought and it seems simple enough however, in the USA, we would have to be stablished as a nonprofit group to receive grants.  That is not necessarily an easy task meaning many things must be established  and it cost money etc. There may be other options available that I am not aware of without researching the topic in detail.

When I saw the Ads I knew DJ was simply looking for options for the site to be self sufficient.  My intent was a goodwill effort to seek donations from those who can afford to assist to keep the site free and available to all who need it and as a way to give back to DJ for all he has done for MMers around the world and to keep moya moya awareness alive.   

If we charge a membership fee, the site is no longer free for those who are desperately seeking information and support and need it and may not be in a position to donate.

Some may not be in a position to donate $20 or to donate at all.  Some folks are single and struggling with medical bills and keeping jobs and there are single mothers with children and a number of other reasons even couples with children may or may not be in a position to donate hence, the intent to donate if you can.

DJ can keep the site running on his own and will do that. I simply thought it would be a nice gesture for folks like myself who have benefited from the site in a big way to give back and donate what I can.

When I broke out the cost to maintain a web site, I realized how little each person would need to donate to make the site self sufficient meaning if everyone who can donate, donated a little, it could maintain the site for a long time.

I realize not everyone registered on the site can donate and some who are registered don't visit the site regularly or even at all.  However, if all who registered actually paid $1 a year it would maintain the site for over a year.  I realize that is slim to none because as I mentioned not everyone registered comes to the site.

To keep it simple, if those who can donate will donate, it is a way to give back to DJ for all he has done for moya moya, keep moya moya awareness in the forefront, keep the site free to all who desperately seek information and support and help the site to be self sufficient.

Love and hugs to all,

Lore   

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 10:12pm

First of all, Newt, PLEASE don't feel bad about asking the question about the ads.  It was a perfectly normal question (and one I expected to be asked at some point).

Lore, Mar, Mary, Elaine, Moira, thank you for all of the points you have brought up in this thread.  Lore, you are "right on the mark" with your posts.

I should have said something on the board when I originally put the ads up.  That's my bad for not explaining what I was trying to do.

If the site never makes another dime, I will NEVER take it down.  I've never wanted, nor do I ever expect to make money from moyamoya.com... that is NOT the point of the site.

It doesn't take a whole lot of money to keep the site up and running, but it does add up over time.  It's not just the actual hosting of the site, but stuff like keeping the domain name registered, purchasing new stock for the store, fronting money for conventions, purchasing scripts and software to make the site better... etc.  It adds up.

I don't want ANYONE to feel obligated to do anything!  As I have expressed, moyamoya.com will be here throughout.  For those of you who do decide to donate, your support and generosity is MORE than greatly appreciated!!

If anyone has any questions or problems with any of this, PLEASE post your questions or concerns here.  I am more than willing to talk about any of this more in-depth.

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!!

DJ

WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

MMnewtUt
Junior Poster

Moyamoya survivor!

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 11:22pm

DJ,
     You are so completely awesome, wonderful and every other adjective I could ever think of!!!   ;Grin Kiss
God bless you and your family! BIG HUGS!
                               Love, Newt(Natalie)

IP Logged

lotsofkids
MM.com Benefactor

Moyamoya...Oh boya boya!

Akron, USA, usa, 421, 123, OH, Ohio
Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 12:43pm

Hello Deej....and a big hello to Stef and the kids!

it looks like Lore's separate posting is gaining momentum and for many of us.....well...we never actually thought about what was involved....but once told are more than ready to support the site.

I for one, plan on making an annual contribution on the Anniversary of my Moyamoya surgeries. It is a good marker for me...so I won't forget!!! LOL

Keep us posted on how things are going.....and if you (hopefully) get super responses and oodles of support...then you can always keep a fund for pamphlets or other useful ways of promoting awareness. Or maybe just to finance some extra perks while hosting the annual gathering.

This site was an intrigal part in my decision to seek treatment with Dr Steinburg and gave me the support and resources needed to stay calm and focused while doing so.

Everyone here ROCKS!

I thank you all......Diane : )

Hmmm....seems I'm kinda "special" LOL

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge