Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gathering in the Seattle Area (Read 51007 times)
KTiller
Senior Poster

Freeland, USA, usa, 51, 28, WA, Washington
Gathering in the Seattle Area
Mar 3rd, 2008 at 5:42pm

Hi everyone!  Smiley
There are a number of us with moyamoya who live in The Pacific Northwest. Unfortunately we're not all are able to travel to Las Vegas but, would like to meet with other moyamoya survivors. A few of us were talking and thought it would be fun to meet this summer in the Seattle area. The date is set, July 19th-20th (that's when we can pretty much count on sunshine), but the location is still undecided. We're wondering whether people would prefer a country or city locale. The suggestions are Langley on Whidbey Island, Bellevue, or Seattle. Langley is a quaint, seaside village, with small inns and B&Bs, lots of small shops, restaurants and beach activities, while Bellevue and Seattle offer all the attractions and amenities of a bigger city.

Please let me know if you're able to come and what locale you would prefer. I'll need to make a reservation fairly soon to secure a gathering place. You can either reply to this post or send an email to soap@whidbey.com)

Whether you live in the NW or you happen to be passing through the Seattle area on these dates, I hope you'll join us. The more the merrier!
Kim  Smiley

IP Logged

doubletrouble
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

wenatchee, USA, usa, 69, 42, WA, Washington
Re: Gathering in the Seattle Area
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 6:16pm

hi  kim  .  i will be there  .   i am so excited aleady  . i cant wait to meet you  and the others  . see you in july ..if there anything you want me to do  please let me know  Tammy

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 9:34pm

I'm looking forward to meeting you too, Tammy. It's been wonderful chatting with you over these last few months.
Kim

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 10:35pm

Hi Everybody  Smiley
Looks like we'll be meeting in Langley on Whidbey Island on August 2nd & 3rd. I've reserved a room at the Saratoga Inn where they've agreed to make their cozy public rooms available to us so we can meet and chat whenever we like. I also reserved the small, private conference room for Saturday, where they'll provide us with hot and cold beverages, and right-out-of-the-oven, home-made muffins and cookies to munch on all day long  Smiley.
The dates changed to August 2nd & 3rd because other groups beat me to it and booked the entire inn for the last two weekends in July Cry. But that's OK, as it hardly ever rains here in August  Smiley.
Here's the link to the charming Saratoga Inn:
http://www.saratogainnwhidbeyisland.com/

And here's a link to a site that promotes the town of Langley with lots of videos so you can see what it's like here:
http://thebestoflangley.com/

(Note: If you click on Whidbey Island Soap Company under Retail Stores then Gift Shops, you'll see a video of my son and I talking about our shop. The video was made just weeks before I had my stroke last summer and was diagnosed with moyamoya that fall. Boy oh boy, did I ever stress over the making of that video.)

I'll post a list of available lodgings in the next few weeks. There are a huge number of lovely B&Bs and a few small inns in and around Langley. The least expensive is $75/night, then there is the spectacular Inn at Langley which is on the Conde Nast Traveler "Gold List of Best Places to Stay in the World" from $275-$495 per/night:
http://www.innatlangley.com/index.html

Here's a link to the Chamber of Commerce website which has a lodging referal service:
http://langleychamb.whidbey.com/default.htm
(Note: A new website is scheduled to be launched any day now, but should have the same URL address.)

Please send me an email
soap@whidbey.com
, or post a reply to this subject if you're able to join us. Langley is a great place to slow down, relax and get away from the real world for a little while.
See you there,
Kim

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 1:46pm

Kim~

This sounds like a wonderful experience.
Vegas itn't in my relm of doing things comfortably (stressful and expensive) but Langly sounds FUN, comfortable and I'd love to meet all the NorthWest mm folks. Tammy and I are in e-touch!

I don't know how Jacks and my summer will shape up as we need to go clean out my moms home as she died last Jan. She was suffering and it was the proverbial 'blessing'.  Still hard none the less. But, I'll keep in touch on this link because it would be such a nice vacation and meeting with you all.

Linda (LA)

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 7:51pm

Hi Linda,
I'm so very sorry to hear that you lost your Mom. My folks live here on the island - they'll be 79 and 82 this Spring. I'm so very thankful for each and every day that I have them. Going through this moyamoya expereince with me this last year has taken a toll on them, though they won't ever admit it to me.

I hope you and Jack can make it up here this summer. It's a wonderful place to visit and a great place to relax. I've lived in many different parts of the country, but chose Whidbey Island for digging in and growing roots. When I was a kid my grandparents owned an old-fashioned deparment/grocery store and later a fishing resort on the next island over. I grew up land-locked, in the mid-west but got to visit them for a couple of weeks every summer - it was paradise. I promised myself then that I would one day live here.

I've never been to Vegas and I'm feeling lucky these days (found Dr. Steinberg and had the surgery) so thought that maybe I would try my luck with the roulette wheel   8). Also, I want to finally get to meet D.J.. Jill had arranged a dinner get together with D.J. and a couple other patients at Stanford this Fall, but I missed it because I was having some temporary problems. I need to thank him for this amazing, life-saving website that he created. So, it'll be three days of wild & crazy, then back here to peace and tranquility.

A lot of traveling in the near future. I'm off to Stanford for my six-month check-up on May 5th. This may sound somewhat odd, but I'm actually looking forward to it (well not the angiogram). But, I want the confirmation that all is at last OK. Then, I'm hoping that this traumatic moyamoya experience will start to recede into the background a bit.
Kim

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 3:00pm

Kim~

Going to Vegas will be a great oppertunity for you!
Glad you're doing well with your mm.

Jack and I spent HOURS researching the island. We loved the beauty of it all. Seeing some of the nice campsites, cabins and motels available.

We're  getting excited about comming up and hope it will be possible. Love to meet you all --  and enjoy the work you've done getting it all arranged.

We'd like to bring our sit-on-top kayaks and take in some of the aquatic adventures.

I am facinated  by marine mammals, birds and all that incredible scenery!

I had friends on Vashon years ago and I loved visit ing and riding the ferry boats. Jack and I vacations in the San Juans years ago too.

Good choice of a place to live!!!

Hope Hope hope to see you.
Hope your Stienberg visit goes well. He's my doc too.

Linda

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 4:19pm

Hi Linda,

Oh, I so hope you can come, you'll love it here! You can launch your kyaks right at the marina in Langley. On this side of the island we're more protected then on the west side - lots more open water there. There's a new business here where you can now rent kyaks too. I haven't done it yet, but plan to as soon as it warms up a bit more... Right now, Brrrrrrr. Or you can rent those cute little Vespa motor scooters at Soleil, pickup lunch to go at the Chef's Pantry or the old-fashioned Star Store Deli and explore the backroads of the island - too much fun!

You're sure to see bald eagles flying every day - sometimes three or four at a time and lot of Herons fishing for their meal at the edge of the water and also playful seals- especially when kyaking. Early in the Spring the Orcas go by Langley, but during the summers you'll see the grey whales, if you're lucky. There are whale-watching cruises out of Anacortes, which is about 1 1/2 hours north of here (that's where the ferries leave for the San Juan Islands, though some people claim Whidbey is the south-most island in that chain)
www.island-adventures.com
  or
www.mysticseacharters.com
, and if you take the Chuckanut Drive along the coast heading toward Bellingham, home of Western Washington University, with charming old-town Fairhaven to explore and you can vist the Samish Marine research lab. Not sure what programs they offer, but I can find out if you're interested. You can dig for clams on the beach at Useless Bay (about 10 minutes from Langley) and a great place for children to swim as it's shallow (thus the name useless) so when the tide goes out the sun heats the sand and warms the water. Lots of drift wood to gather and logs to walk and a great place to let a dog run free. You can pick lavender right out of the fields at Sarah's Lavender Winds farm
www.lavenderwind.com
and the raspberries should be ready for picking in August (too late for strawberries though). And we have a fun Saturday Farmer's Market at Bayview about 2 miles from Langley. I could go on forever...

Thank you for the positive thoughts for my six-month. Compared to the first visit, this one should be a breeze. Dr. Steinberg is at the top of my list of all time favorite people. Don't want to think what would have happend to so many of us, if not for him. Everytime I have a task to do that I would like to put off (I'm the all time greatest procrastinator) I think, what if Steinberg decided to just blow off a day of surgery? Helps me to tackle those tasks I really just don't want to do.

I'm really gettiing excited about this gathering on Whidbey Island - guess you can tell from this long post. I'd love to share this magical, healing place with my moyamoya family.

Hope to see you and Jack here this summer,
Kim

IP Logged

doubletrouble
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 5:23pm

hi kim  ,   that  sound much fun   i cant wait to come  ,

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Date Change to August 16-17
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:14pm

Hi all,

I just got a call from the Saratoga Inn after one of us tried to book a room for the gathering on August 2-3 was wait-listed after being told there were no rooms available on those dates Cry. Turns out someone booked the entire place for a wedding party (well, all but for the room I booked and the conference room). I was told that the weekend of August 16-17 is absolutely, positively free. So, after talking to the person who was wait-listed we decided to change the dates. I hope this works out OK for all who are planning to come.

If you are planning to come, it might be a good idea to book a room as soon as you can at either the Saratoga Inn or another B&B. You can check out the lodging listings and availablity on the new Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register web site. If your plans change and you find you're unable to make it, most of the lodgings will refund any deposit you make provided you cancel within a certain period of time.

No more date changes, I promise.

Kim

IP Logged

doubletrouble
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 11:24pm

hi Kim  .    I  just wanted to tell you and the others  that i cant wait to meet everyone and have some fun  .i am getting excited  .   only a few more weeks  . Tammy Smiley

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:37pm

Hi all -  Smiley
The weather FINALLY turned around, sunshine and blue skies. It's been a loooong winter.

I booked a group dinner reservation for 6:00 Saturday eveneing. I chose La Prima restaurant right here in Langley. We can easily add more to the reservation. They have an outdoor deck where we can dine while looking out over the waters of Puget Sound. It's a great place for conversation and the food and wines are wonderful! Here's a link to a video about the restaurant http://video.aol.com/video-detail/prima-bistro-langley-washington-on-whidbey-island/3722843998

Don't forget to make your lodging reservations soon. There are still plenty of rooms available, but now that the kids are out of school and the weather has improved families are starting to book their vacations.

See you soon,
Kim

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:38pm by KTiller »  

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:29pm

Hi all  Smiley
Just an update about the gathering. Reservations are made for the outdoor deck at La Prima for Saturday evening 6:00. Jen, the owner, asked that I let her know a day ahead should we need to add seats to the reservation. I'm checking out the kyak rentals today - as a few of us are planning to spend a couple of hours out on the sound for a closer up view of those playful sea otters and majestic Orcas. The Vespa (those little Italian motor scooters) rental shop is just down the street, should you want to take a breezy ride along the back roads. You might want to stop at the Chef's Pantry for a boxed lunch to take with you.

The Saratoga Inn is now booked for Saturday night, but if anyone wants to stay there and doesn't mind switching rooms between days, I can give up the room I booked for Saturday (I only live about ten mintes away) - just send me an email and I'll tell the gals at the inn to bump me. There are still rooms available at the many B&Bs and smaller inns, but don't wait too long to make a reservation as lots of Seattlites seem to be choosing to spend their summer vacation closer to home this year - gotta be because of those high gas prices. If anyone needs help finding lodging, let me know and I'll beat the bushes from this end.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous here - at last  8).

Can't wait to see you all!
Kim

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Kim,

Wow!  ;Grin Sounds like everything is ready to go for your Seattle get-together!  ;Grin  The place you reserved sounds so serene...and exciting"playful sea otters and majestic Orcas"...wish we had those here in Hawaii!  Wink  Don't forget to take plenty of pics so you can share them with those of us who can't attend.

Hope you all have a wonderful time!

Take care,
Shan

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 3:16pm

Hi Shan,
Yeah, this is a great place, but then so is Hawaii. I'm planning a trip to Lanai in January, when it isn't so nice here at all. During her retirement years, my grandmother spent the winter months on Kauai and the rest of the year here. All I plan to do in January is sit on the beach and read a few good books (ok, maybe sip a tropical drink with a cute liitle umbrella in it).
I'll be sure to take those pictures and post them to the website. Come on over, if you can.
Kim

IP Logged

Janko
Experienced Poster

Take baby steps...one
step in front of the
other!!

Kekaha, USA, usa, 326, 333, HI, Hawaii
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 7:47pm

Hi Kim Smiley....

So....you're going to Lanai.  It's even smaller than the island I live on Kauai.  I've lived in Hawaii all my life, but have never been to Lanai, although Alan has.  He says it's really nice.  Just a little head's-up...watch out for the winter swells (waves), it can be a little rough especially around December/January.

I hope all is going well for your upcoming reunion, I know Tammy is really excited about going.  BTW....it was really great meeting you in Las Vegas!!

Aloha Smiley,

Jan

Everything is not just black and white.  Open your eyes, see what the world has to offer....

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 9:32pm

Hi Jan,
It was great meeting you too. Wish there had been more time to chat with everyone - the time just flew by way too quickly. I used to stay at my grandparent's timeshare called Mokihanna Lodge at Kapaa. I haven't been for over twenty years now. What a beautiful island! What part of Kauai do you live on? Did you know of a woman there named Annie Kabanti (not sure of the spelling)? She and my grandmother were great friends. I'd love to visit Kauai when I get over this winter. If I can come, we'll have to try to get together.

It will be nice to finally meet Tammy at the gathering. So far there are about a dozen of us who are for certain going to be here. A few more are still hoping to be able to make it. There'll be a couple of gathering areas at the inn where we can lounge about and chat. Then there's always the local coffee houses. If we get to really carrying on then there's the historic, Dog House Tavern with plenty of microbrews on tap and usually a local group playing.

Dig your toes in the sand for me - Aloha.
Kim

IP Logged

Janko
Experienced Poster

Take baby steps...one
step in front of the
other!!

Reply #17 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 2:47am

Hey Kim,

If I'm not mistaken the Mokihana Lodge is in Kapaa.  Alan and I have been living in Puhi for the past 5 or six years now, but I'm originally from Kekaha (the west-side of Kauai, near Kokee).  I live 5 - 10 minutes away from the airport.  Should you come to Kauai over the winter, please give me a call and we can go to dinner somewhere.  I presume since you've been here before you have pretty much visited most places on the island.  May I please have your email address and I will give you my cell number so you can contact me? 

Aloha Smiley,

Jan

Everything is not just black and white.  Open your eyes, see what the world has to offer....

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Re: Gathering in the Seattle Areatifulautiful.
Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 4:47pm

Hi Jan,
I may have visited Puhi and Kokee, but it's been such a long while ago that I can't remember either place. I'm sure they must be beautiful, the whole island is a paradise. My email address is soap@whidbey.com. I'd love to get together for dinner this winter. I'll let you know when I my plans are more definite.
Kim

IP Logged

Shan
Old-Time Poster

MM Survivor ~ May 27,

Honolulu, USA, usa, 376, 346, HI, Hawaii
Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 6:01pm

Aloha Kim,

Lanai? Wow! I've never been there either...even though I am a native of Hawaii.  Undecided  From what I've heard, and the pics I've seen...Lanai is the perfect place for relaxation!  Wink  One of my roomates from college was from Lanai, and in fact one of my very good friends from church is from there too!  Beautiful, kind people.  ;Grin

Gee--since you'll be so close to us, it would be nice if we could all somehow get together!   There's a bunch of us MMians on Oahu (at least 2 doz), and then there's Jan on the Island of Kauai...Mel on Maui..and I've heard of other MMians on the Island of Hawai'i' (the Big Island).

I'm serious!  It would be a great time to have the Hawaii Moyamoya Ohana get together or possibly invite whoever wants to fly to Lanai to go for a day or so! (we don't want to barge in on your vacation Kim!  Wink)   ;Grin  Come on, Jan...let's go!  Wink

Let's talk more...
Aloha,
Shan
islandmoyamoya@yahoo.com  
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2008 at 6:07pm by Shan »  

"Love, Accept And Respect All Things And All Situations In Life … They Are Especially&&Designed For Your Personal Learning" ~Howard Willis

IP Logged

Janko
Experienced Poster

Take baby steps...one
step in front of the
other!!

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 7:34pm

Okay, Shan....

It really would be nice to go visit somewhere that I've never been, but I have an aversion to small planes.  The last one I flew on was on my back on a stretcher (Tongue  I was being flown to Oahu after my stroke).  All kidding aside, it would be very nice to go to Lanai, but with the cost of airfare now,  I'm not so sure.  Alan and I have already made plans to go to Oahu during Thanksgiving (we're staying 5 days) to visit family and friend and to do some Christmas Shopping.  Then again, gotta see how much  $$ & Smiley I can come up with.

Kim, you probably did go past Puhi and probably went to Kokee (Waimea Canyon).  Anyway, I'll email you with my cell number....

Jan

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #21 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 8:18pm

Hey Shan,
I didn't realize there were so many folks with moyamoya in the islands! You can all barge in on my vacation any time ol' time. I though I might fly into Maui and then ferry over to Lanai. Haven't made any definite plans yet - have to earn enough income this summer to be able to afford it. This trip has the highest priority on my list as it's been a long, long while since I had a real vacation. And if this moyamoya experience has taught me anything, it's to not put off those things that we dream of doing. My Aunt and Uncle live in Lanikai on Oahu. I've been invited to stay in their guest house. That would probably be a lot more affordable. None of my plans are solid yet, so if you're able to plan something, I'm game.

Jan, one way or another we'll find a way to spend some time together. Now, I so wish my folks hadn't sold their time share there.

It's cold and overcast here today - I sure hope summer returns soon.
Kim

IP Logged

moody
Experienced Poster

In all the thing I lost
I miss my mind the most.

richmond, USA, VA, Virginia
Reply #22 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 4:49pm

SadHi Kim,

I'm so sad that I can't make it to reunion to see everyone, I would love to see you guys, all of my friends and supports, I hope I can come to reunion next year.
Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
I know you all will have a good time.

Have fun, Kieu

Yesterday is past, tomorrow is future, today is the gift, that why we call it present.

IP Logged

KTiller
Senior Poster

Reply #23 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 10:13pm

Aw, Kieu, sorry you can't make it. We're a looooong ways from Virginia. I think the next reunion may be in Florida - maybe you can make that one. I promise to take lots of pictures and post them here.
I just realized that the county fair is happening the same weekend as the gathering. It's held right here in Langley. If you've never seen a small, old-fashioned, country fair this one is worth a visit. The best part is the 4-H kids exhibiting their farm animals. Both the kids and their critters are so darn cute.
Only three more weeks - wow, time sure flies!
Kim

IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Reply #24 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 11:58am

Hi to Kim and everyone who's heading to this gathering and/or Hawaii.!!!!

Someone please buy my moms/my house! It's for sale and it's right next to Stanford. I could see the Hoover Tower (that's on campus) from my front yard!  I grew up there.      
Easy access for  Dr. Steinberg appts!
or getting a degree.

This is obviously a joke, but......if the house sells and Jack and I don't need to be so attentive to the process anymore....

THEN WE'D BE SURE TO BE ABLE TO GET TO THIS REUNION!

Jack and I really want to meet everyone and have time to
talk and share,  to bring our kayaks and paddle, to see the soap shop, be in the North West and enjoy this gig that Kim has put together. Thanks for doing this Kim.

I really want to meet all of you and share this mm experience. And I love the North West.

hummmm...maybe the place will sell in time for a Hawaii reunion -- I've never been there!
I could easily kick back on the beach with a book and a 'cabana boy' bringing me drinks!  ok, so I really would just like to be at the beach and relax and enjoy the beauty of the Island. Quite different from the redwoods we live in!

So Jack and I hope to get up there and we're keeping our fingers crossed. That's become a medical condition with me lately!!!!!!!

Linda A.

Cheesy Cheesy

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge