Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jill Bolte Taylor's "My Stroke of Insight" & Oprah (Read 5805 times)
Seachelles
Old-Time Poster

God never gives us more
than we can handle.

Fredericksburg, USA, usa, 474, 157, VA, Virginia
Jill Bolte Taylor's "My Stroke of Insight" & Oprah
Oct 20th, 2008 at 9:40am

Just thought I would let you know that Jill Bolte Taylor will be on Oprah tomorrow, October 21st talking about her book "My Stroke of Insight."  I found this book to be very insightful and interesting.  She is a brain scientist that had a stroke and she tells about it in her book and now will be on Oprah to tell about it.

Michelle
Chelles4U Chelles4U  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Albany, USA, usa, 492, 84, NY, New_York
Re: Jill Bolte Taylor's "My Stroke of Insight" & Oprah
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:16am

I just got the schedule in my e-mail for Oprah and saw that she was going to be on. I watched a video of her lecture about her experience.It was very interesting! I'm going to record it so I can be sure I don't miss it.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:19am

Here's the link to the video if anyone wants to watch it.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html
Hopefully it will work.
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

LA
Senior Poster

Moyamoya survivor since
1999!

Kneeland, USA, 15, 113, C
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 12:58pm

This is a great book about a strong woman and her realizations about the brain. I really recommend this book. It gets into her stroke recovery which I found fascinating. Was, for me, another way to express and realize what the recovery form my strokes was like.  Very helpful!  Her insights are remarkable. Try not to miss this Oprah!!!!!!!

Take care,
Linda

Linda (LA)

IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sanford, USA, usa, 465, 285, FL, Florida
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 10:48pm

Mary Grace thanks for posting that Stroke Viedo Wink
It Was very intersting and I had a Major Stroke similar to the one she described where I could literally see and feel my speach slowly being impared and not being able to talk to let my husband & Mom know if (this) didn't go away quickly to get me to the hospital,,,,(A Very Scarry Feeling) My husband just said we'll be home in a few minutes so you can lay down and rest Angry
And all I could do was think this IS a Stroke and I knew I had around 3 hours to reverse any damage if it didn't go away Cry
However it did go away and I was fine ShockedThank-God
ShockedBut It Is Very Scarry when you can't talk and inside your head You know exactally what you want to say but it just won't come out Angry
Elaine

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

mg12061
Old-Time Poster

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 9:55am

This is all very interesting learning about what a person is feeling as they are suffering a stroke.I wish I had know some of this when my daughter was going through it.Her most severe stroke took place over the course of a day.It started with leg twitches, then lots of crying,she became more and more lethargic, her mouth started to droop and she started drooling, then went completely silent.We knew what was happening but couldn't stop it.When she woke up the next morning,she had no use of her left side and she couldn't talk.She tried at one point to tell us something and we jsut couldn't understand,then she finally signed the word "red" with her good hand(she knew signs from when she was younger, she has down syndrome and her speech therapist taught her some),We imediatly knew she wanted a red popcyle she had been eating red pops for days in the hospital.When we "got it" she  smiled(a bit crooked). My point is one Elaine brought  up it's scarry! It's not enough to just educate people about the outward signs of a stroke but the inner feelings of a stroke.If someone is with a person who is  unable to speak it's easy enough to find a way for this person to communicate,possible with a hand if they have use of at least one side,or even if it's a yes and no with simple eye movements. This may at least help ease the feeling that they are alone in their thoughts and fears. No one wnats to imediatly think that their loved one is in the midst of a medical emergency but if they can ask the person directly and get a yes or no (it seems like the stroke patient knows they are having a stroke or are at least considering it as a strong possibility).This could get them help quicker. As someone pointed out children are at a greater risk of not being diagnosed as having a stroke.If an adult presents with signs of a stroke they seem to be taken more seriously a child on the other hand they seem to look for other reasons first.Kathleen was stumbling around for weeks then she had a hard time using one arm the Dr.'s still didn't even consider a stroke. They did lots of other tests until we ended up in the ER one neurologist took one look at her and said"she looks like someone who's had a stroke" I think he still found it quite unbelieveable but went ahead and looked into this possibility.Children can't tell us what's going on,and education needs to help adults  learn more about this subject, and Dr.'s need to listen to parents more closely. Another symptom that Kathleen had that we only saw in hindsight was she woke up every morning for a very long time crying,she would cry before her eyes were even open.we just thought she had a tough time waking up,had she been able to tell us she probably would ahve told us she ahd a headache.I believe it was the change in her blood pressure upon waking that bothered her.She actually woke up one morning(after her diagnosis) and couldn't use her right arm at all. She didn't think anything of it and got up and went to the fridge, she triend to open it with her right and when it didn't work she just used her left.I right away knew she ahd had a stroke in her sleep.Well enough rambling on here sorry but I jsut feel sooooo pasionate about all of this it's hard to stop..... I'm anxiouse to see the Oprah show!!!
Mary Grace

rgrace5  
IP Logged

elaine
Experienced Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sanford, USA, usa, 465, 285, FL, Florida
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 11:11pm

I saw  Oprah today aswell as watched the viedo clip Mary Grace posted-----it was very interesting Huh
And Yes Mary Grace it Was a Very Scarry Feeling to be awake and have a Stroke, however my 1st Stroke I had in my sleep and woke up with my left side paralized (for about 2 months--that was very scarry too when they put electro things on my leg and said that would make my toes move But all it did was burn my leg)
I remember when I could finialy move my toe Shocked I called everyone I knew to tell them I could move my toe then my ankle then walk again Grin

Elaine
Elaine  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge