Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MRI-MRA questions (Read 1140 times)
cdducky
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

MRI-MRA questions
Nov 21st, 2009 at 11:58pm

Hello,
Wow, what a blessing this was to find this site last year.  My husband was diagnosed only because a radioligist had gone to a seminar recently.  IN January, he had surgery at UCSF and all was good.  Except for a week later he had a seizure but due to good communication with ER and UCSF it was just a 'angry receovery.'  HEre we are in November and he has been back to work off all meds and BAM, possibly a seizure but he has had a really bad headache for a week.  Here is the Question:  He went to ER on MOnday and they did and MRI and MRA to be sure and the report said there was a blockage but no mention of the bypass.  Back to ER on Wednesday, for possible seizure with nasty headache and the ER doctor says the bypass will not show up on the MRI or MRA and the blockage was the reason for the bypass.  I asked the radiology dept to reread the films from MOnday and they said the blockage was the reason they couldn't see the bypass.  I am extremely confused.  The headaches and other symptoms have slowly returned and I am concerned that the bypass has failed or there is a new blockage lower than where the bypass started.
I realize this is long but I am trying to gather information for doctors appt next week and what direction we need to go in.
Thank you, this group helped us get thru a difficult time and understand there was help.

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Re: MRI-MRA questions
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 2:33am

Hey Ducky

I'm a little surprised, although there might be a reason, that ALL your husbands meds were stopped. In a lot of moya cases the patient will be on a blood thinner (i.e. aspirin) for the rest of there lives and also an anti-seizure medication for a good long period after surgery.

Stay strong
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Mar
Ex Member

Re: MRI-MRA questions
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 8:56am

Hi Ducky,

I have to agree with Mark; usually MM patients remain on some sort of medication after surgery. Like he said, almost always an aspirin and many times some form of anti seizure medication. Because for some reason MM patients are prone to seizure activity, especially after surgery, so they try to control it with anti-seizure medication, which also sometimes helps with the headaches. Every case is different because of each person’s individual factors, but this is what we normally see with MM, and why a doctor with MM experience is so vital.

I’m sorry to say, we can’t really give any more suggestions without knowing more specifics. For example, what type of surgery did he have, the direct or indirect approach? Did he have only one side done? I ask these questions because MM is a progressive disease and bilateral in many cases, so without knowing more information, we don’t know if he could possibly be having problems due MM now on the other side of his brain or whether it’s related to seizures after surgery or what? Plus, if he had indirect surgery, that sometimes just takes time with adults for the needed blood flow to lessen their episodes.

Are the ER doctors experienced with treating MMD? Did the doctor that did his surgery evaluate your husbands’ case yet? I think it’s very important that the neurosurgeon that did his surgery evaluate this or a doctor that is experienced with this rare disease. They would best know all the important factors involved with MMD and can lead you in the best direction for your particular case. We’ve seen cases where it’s simply a matter of blood pressure, and once a MM experienced physician finds the BP level that’s best for that particular MM case, the episodes stop, but we’ve also seen doctors’ who are NOT experienced enough with this disease treat MM cases, and it can create so many problems, in fact it can be dangerous, but we have no way of knowing if this is the case or not. I pray not.

All I can suggest is do your homework and learn all you can about this disease, so no one can lead you in the wrong direction, and stay proactive in getting answers.

My prayers are with you.

Mar

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge