Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Other health problems? (Read 4814 times)
Meg
New Poster

Indianapolis, IN
Other health problems?
Sep 25th, 2010 at 10:11pm

I was wondering if anyone had other health problems besides MM?  Two years before I was diagnosed, I had a horrible internal infection in my hip(I had to have surgery for it to be removed...the doctors compared it to staff) and then a year later I had a severe case of pneumonia.  Also, I frequently get sore throats and coughs. Does anyone know if MM weakens the immune system?  Since my surgeries, I have not had any other serious health problems and have only been to the family doctors twice. Thanks for any input or insights!

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere & endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." ~Christopher Reeves~
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=735770456#!  
IP Logged

Mayhem
MM.com Sponsor

diagnosed 1996

Rochester, USA, NY, New_York
Re: Other health problems?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2010 at 8:48pm

Let's see, I have coronary artery disease with six stents, spinal stenosis and arthritis.

IP Logged

Skay5709
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2010 at 10:27pm

I have coronary artery disease, peripheral artery disease and had a stent put in my left leg about a month ago. Also suffered a cardiac arrest after I was diagnosed with mm and have a defibrillator.

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 8:06am

I just have the migraines. Which have been happening less frequently now. otherwise I am healthy and I don't seem to get colds or flu as often as my non-mm husband/family.
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Shelbi
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trinity, USA, AL, Alabama
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 12:12am

Shelbi also has a Chiari Malformation, Syrinx, and Basilar invagination. She had a Chiari  decompression so that made the syrinx shrink.  NS said these are not related to MM. She doesn't seem to get the normal sicknesses like cold and stuff, just all of these strange conditions. Huh

IP Logged

Moya_Mom
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 7:00am

Nathan also has Chiari which they found as an "incidental" finding on his first MRI.  Otherwise, just headaches.

IP Logged

smitty39
New Poster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lyn, Canada, canada, 407, 383, ON, Ontario
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 5:08pm

I also have a chiari malformation and syrinx.  This was only found with my first MRI.  Due to the fact that my stroke symptoms were identical to symptoms of a chiari malformation nothing was done.  On top of that they thought I had MS for six months until they decided to do an angio to "rule out" stroke.  I was then dignosed with unilateral Moya moya syndrome. Surgery two months later. Smiley

IP Logged

twinsmom
Experienced Poster

16 year old twins with
MM

hollis, USA, NH, New_Hampshire
Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 11:18pm

My girls tend to get every virus that goes around. 

We actually saw an immunologist at Children's in Boston to have some testing done to see if there was a reason, but they could not find anything specific.  He gave the girls the very technical diagnosis of being "twitchy" kids!! 

His best guess was that their immune system was having a difficult time readjusting after the brain surgery and we just have to be more aware of what's going on with their bodies, and treat things as they arise.

I'm not sure that's any help, but maybe some validation that it's not just you?

Kristen

"Come to the edge."   "We can't.  We're afraid."   "Come to the edge."  "We can't.  We will fall!"  "Come to the edge."  And they came.  And he pushed them.   And they flew.   by Guillaume Apollinaire

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge