Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chantix worry (Read 2990 times)
kjforever1
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Chantix worry
Sep 3rd, 2011 at 10:42pm

Has anyone heard the recent caution about people with cardiovascular disease and an increased risk for cardiovascular events with the use of chantix (a stop smoking aid)  I have heard the warning, but am seriously wondering what effect this would have on anyone with MM.  BTW, I haven't been on the site for over 2 years, it's good to see so many of you still here!

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Re: Chantix worry
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 12:37pm

DO NOT USE CHANTIX!!!!!!!!!My Husband without MoyaMoya used it for two months. He stoped after the second nightmare that he woke up screaming at the top of his lungs. He perminitly has a mild restless leg that doctors will not blame the Chantix on. Since my Husband is normal and healthy I can't even imagine the dammage it could do to a person with MM. He is now trying the patch and it is working well. He has finaly quit.

Good luck
Becky
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2011 at 12:38pm by Becky »  

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

DJ
YaBB Administrator

Been there, done that...

Wichita, KS
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 10:32pm

I used Chantix after I was diagnosed with moyamoya to stop smoking when my son was born.  My local doctor checked with Dr. Steinberg's office and I was given the go-ahead to give Chantix a shot.  They told me if the side effects were too crazy to stop taking it.

I did have some pretty vivid dreams when I was takign the 2nd dose late in the evening but by moving my 2nd dose to 5pm when I got home from work made all the difference.

After smoking for 20+ years,  I couldn't have done it without Chantix so if you would like some help to quit a TERRIBLE habit, I woudl say to check with your doctor to see if it's right for your situation.

My  Smiley

Adversity does not build character... it reveals it...  I help my neighbor and my neighbor helps someone else. Life is a wonderful circle!
WWW 588277454  
IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:54am

DJ,
I am so happy that chantix worked for you! I agree smoking is a terrable habbit. Thank you for showing that different people react differntly to medications. Your experence was positive vs my husband was not so lucky. I am happy that for those who do smoke and have MM that option is open to them. 
Thank you for sharing,
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge